LG G2 - GPS Issues

againpro

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I have to register this forum to say THANK YOU!!! It drove me crazy for a loooooong time. But after hearing the click sound while I pressed right-top corner, my GPS came back, fast and steady! Big hug for you, man!

thunder1d

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I've been having nothing but frustration with my ATT LG G2 (D800) GPS fix. My $30 LGL34C phone got a better fix than the G2. Did the hardware fix described here and elsewhere and I now am getting a fix just as good as the other phone. Very disappointing because like others I bought this phone with the expectation of having a good GPS. We'll see how it works long term.

tink1cker

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I found this thread while looking for info on the GPS problem I'm having with my LG G Vista, D631. It's supposed to be a lesser version of the G3, but other than this GPS issue I really like it. Got into Pigeon Forge, Tennessee today for my 25th wedding anniversary, and this crap got me severely turned around twice on the way in.
I've downloaded four different GPS apps and when I can get back out in the open tomorrow (I'm in a secluded cabin in a thick forest area), I'm going to try everything I can.

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Sprint LG G2, and have a very strange GPS issue. While navigating (with google maps) my location repeatedly jumps between my actual location, and a lake in Wausau, WI. I haven't been to Wausau in over a year. At the start of a 9 hour drive a few months ago, it got so bad that I had to hard reset the phone (making for a lovely hour-long stop and very frantic backup/restore). That seemed to fix it until last week, when it started happening again. Exact same location in Wausau. Google Now will also occasionally give me the weather there.

Geo Fizza

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My LG G2 is a Telus one and the GPS has had problems since day 1. It is not reliable. Only works if I have Wi-Fi on and connected to Wi-Fi so basically useless when I actually need it.

SpinControl

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
My son started complaining that when playing Pokemon GO, he'd be in the wrong position all the time while his brother's G2 was fine.
His screen started flickering (a different issue), and since his G2 is out of warranty, I just got him a different G2 off Craigslist. Used, but in excellent shape.
Same GPS issue as the first.

Side by side, his brother's G2 GPS works awesome. Fast connection to satellites. connects to within 10-25 feet accuracy. The 2 G2s with GPS connection problems never really connect or if connected are 55-100+ feet in accuracy.

I tried the cardboard/cardstock fix, and it did not work.
All I saw was the GPS pin to the left of the rear camera (with G2 opened) pushed back

I saw a post about adding a wire to the two pins. The OP commented that the top wire did nothing. So my testing started.

DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. (YOU COULD SHORT SOMETHING)
With GPS TEST app installed and the phone powered up and back off, I touched the bottom pin and the GPS connection went from no connection (back was off) to a moderately fast connection to satellites. AND it connected to within 10-25 feet accuracy.

I checked Youtube and this Russian fellow found the same. Same app, too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cbOnCpkbFo

Took a stranded wire and tore off the sheath.
There was a little blood as one of the strands poked my thumb. ouch!
Using one of the thin naked copper strands, I did the same thing, and VOILA! good connection.
Unfortunately, when I taped the wire to the back and closed the cover, it stopped working.
Not sure why other than the wire lost connectivity to the pin.
I'm seeing the clips on the phone wear, so I'm weary about opening the back of the phone so often.
But the issue is hardware...specifically the antenna on the cover.
I don't have expertise to mess with the flap on the cover and wire up an antenna.
I don't know what peeling back the black antenna on the cover will yield or if adding a wire is even possible.

The next step is to use headphone wire like the video or solder a wire to the pin. I'll need some KAPTON tape for the soldering to avoid damaging the motherboard though. To eBAY I go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad