Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2 - GPS Issues

I'm about a week in with the Lg G2 for Verizon and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The speakers are good enough (I traded in the HTC One for it), the screen is sharp and really good, and the camera is really, really good. However, I am have had two big issues with the phone, the first is call quality (people are saying I go in and out of being muffled as if I am putting my hand on the microphone) and the second issue is that I am having an absolutely horrible time with the GPS.

I live in Atlanta, have clear views of the sky, and I am unable to use Navigation (used almost daily to get around the daily traffic buildups on the interstate) because it freezes routinely or is delayed or even ahead of where I am at. I literally had to make 3 different U-turns this past weekend when driving to find some small restaurants and my friend's new house.

GPS Status and GPS Test both say that there are 15 satellites in view (from my office right now) and I have had my phone trying to connect to them for ~5 minutes now, and so far nothing. The HTC One and my old Galaxy Nexus would connect immediately and had no issues whatsoever.

Has anyone else had poor experience with the GPS? Is this fixable via a software update? I'd hate to return the phone, but if the GPS can't improve then I will have to end up doing so.

thanks all!
    MacHouse83 likes this.

ROM
    4.0.3 ICS Leak

Default Re: LG G2 - GPS Issues

Quote Originally Posted by dazedniteman View Post
    I'm about a week in with the Lg G2 for Verizon and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The speakers are good enough (I traded in the HTC One for it), the screen is sharp and really good, and the camera is really, really good. However, I am have had two big issues with the phone, the first is call quality (people are saying I go in and out of being muffled as if I am putting my hand on the microphone) and the second issue is that I am having an absolutely horrible time with the GPS.

I live in Atlanta, have clear views of the sky, and I am unable to use Navigation (used almost daily to get around the daily traffic buildups on the interstate) because it freezes routinely or is delayed or even ahead of where I am at. I literally had to make 3 different U-turns this past weekend when driving to find some small restaurants and my friend's new house.

GPS Status and GPS Test both say that there are 15 satellites in view (from my office right now) and I have had my phone trying to connect to them for ~5 minutes now, and so far nothing. The HTC One and my old Galaxy Nexus would connect immediately and had no issues whatsoever.

Has anyone else had poor experience with the GPS? Is this fixable via a software update? I'd hate to return the phone, but if the GPS can't improve then I will have to end up doing so.

thanks all!
    I've had nothing but problems with the gps. Every time I use it I experience everything you mentioned and it's annoying as hell.

When I had my Nexus 4 gps was always on point so I don't if it's a LG thing, I'm just hoping it can be fixed!

Posted via Android Central App
    All Google.

That's not good to hear. I'm getting away from Samsung phones because of their notorious problems with GPS signals and was hoping this phone would prove better. This isn't sounding like that is the case.

I have a AT&T LG G2 and I'm coming from a Samsung Skyrocket. I hated the GPS on my Skyrocket. It was just horrible. Could never lock on and stay locked. The G2, so far has proved to be quite the opposite. It locks on in seconds (5 to 15) and stays locked even down some thick canopy roads. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I would take the phone into your carrier store and ask them to bring out another and do a comparison. It could be something with your phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Some_Nobody View Post
    I have a AT&T LG G2 and I'm coming from a Samsung Skyrocket. I hated the GPS on my Skyrocket. It was just horrible. Could never lock on and stay locked. The G2, so far has proved to be quite the opposite. It locks on in seconds (5 to 15) and stays locked even down some thick canopy roads. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I would take the phone into your carrier store and ask them to bring out another and do a comparison. It could be something with your phone.
    I'm worried it is something with my phone because of the call quality issues and GPS. I purchased through Costco so I have a 90 day exchange period. The only negative is waiting a week for my phone to be sent to me since they weren't carrying it in stores (at least last week they weren't). I may try and exchange it and give the G2 one more chance before going back to the HTC One. :\

I have used GPS and Google Maps three times and no problem here. Quick lock on and route recalculation is instant. GPS has to see the sky, will work through plastic or glass though.
    If has locked on somewhere at some point, it may know what satellites are in view but unable to lock on because no access to the sky. Same in the car it should be as far forward on the dash or window to see the largest area of the sky.
    Just a thought on a Verizon G2.

I am having the exactly same issue. 15 Satellites in view but only using about 3-4. The test is done with a clear view of the sky. I can never get a good lock in Google Maps. I've used the HTC One, Galaxy S3 and S4, every single one of them locked on within seconds.

For the folks having GPS issues have you tried the GPS test ?? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gpstest&hl=en
    Last edited by mount.zed; 10-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I've been having issues like that too. Yesterday I was getting like 2 satellites max but I had messed with some of my gps config files settings and had frozen a verizon location service, and was using cleanrom.
    Now I factory reset and switch to Malladus hoping that it might have been rom related. I pull up gps status and half the time the gps dot is solid with no satellites locked. But eventually I can get liek 10 satellites and sometimes gps works, other times now I will get like up to 13 satellite locks according to gps status and on google maps it still shows a blue circle around me that it doesn't have actual lock.

Quote Originally Posted by mount.zed View Post
    For the folks having GPS issues have you tried the GPS test ?? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gpstest&hl=en
    I downloaded it, but what all am I supposed to decipher with all the info it's displaying? Is there something in particular that would show up warning me that my phone may have GPS issues? There's a ton of info on the app, but I have no clue if what it's showing me is good or bad related to my phone.

sorry posted the wrong link https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...psstatus&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    I downloaded it, but what all am I supposed to decipher with all the info it's displaying? Is there something in particular that would show up warning me that my phone may have GPS issues? There's a ton of info on the app, but I have no clue if what it's showing me is good or bad related to my phone.
    - - - Updated - - -

this is a interesting read with potential solutions http://lifehacker.com/5873007/how-can-i-fix-my-androids-crappy-gps

you could get someone who has a different phone who doesn't seem to have an issue to run the test at the same location to see if the signal strength is the different. I guess you could figure out if it is a hardware or software issue???

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mount.zed View Post
    you could get someone who has a different phone who doesn't seem to have an issue to run the test at the same location to see if the signal strength is the different. I guess you could figure out if it is a hardware or software issue???
    still wouldn't help tell that, it's always hard to tell. When I had a galaxy s3 I had major gps issues on stock and all my roms, then I downloaded an AOSP rom and bam it worked almost perfect. It's really hard to say what causes it.

My GPS usually locks on normally, but I find that it's possibly not as accurate as my previous phone. For example, I'll be in sitting at a light, and it thinks I'm on the adjacent road, saying to turn when I should be going straight.

I haven't used the GPS yet but I just tried locking a location and it did it within 2 seconds at most. I never had a issue with the gps on my galaxy s4, I hope I don't either on this one..,

Quote Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
    My GPS usually locks on normally, but I find that it's possibly not as accurate as my previous phone. For example, I'll be in sitting at a light, and it thinks I'm on the adjacent road, saying to turn when I should be going straight.
    This was my experience yesterday on a 500 mile drive. Occasionally would get message to turn when there was no road, once in the middle of the downtown connector in Atlanta. Got correction within seconds.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Ya again today I had issues I was going to try and use a different program besides Google maps but it was running awful and was having trouble getting beyond the 2 satellites again. I've only been able to get a true lock a couple times and I usually give it a new try when I drive somewhere

Somebody over on XDA is saying this issue is connected to the Verizon version only. Is that true for everyone?

Mine was having issues on t-mobile.

Blackberry 8900>Samsung Captivate>Motorola Atrix>LG Thrill 4G (3D)>Samsung Skyrocket>SGS3>Galaxy Note II>Note III

Mine locked with no Cell Signal... Just pure GPS on Google Maps.... Go Figure right? LOL

Mine does this as well. Seems like a problem with the compass. I noticed its off sometimes and when I recalibrate it seems to work much better for a while.

Sent from my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by dazedniteman View Post

thanks all!
    Off topic a bit, but I'm curious what are some of the things about the HTC One that made you want to trade it in? I'm still trying to decide if the One is for me or not, since seeing these issues with the LG G2.
    Last edited by ScottyB#WN; 10-18-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB#WN View Post
    Off topic a bit, but I'm curious what are some of the things about the HTC One that made you want to trade it in? I'm still trying to decide if the One is for me or not, since seeing these issues with the LG G2.
    I just got an LG G2 today and it's replacing an HTC One, so hope you don't mind if I chime in here on my first impressions regarding the two. What initially intrigued me about it enough to try it despite how much I liked my One were it's speed, small dimensions for having such a large screen, excellent camera, and some interesting sounding UI features (albeit surrounded by lots of dross)

First, in general, I was a little bit nervous at first with all the clutter and crap on the LG G2 (t-mobile version in my case), but after an hour of clean-up, arranging, playing with options, etc. I was much happier with it and my enthusiasm has continued to increase the more I play around with it.

Things I miss from the HTC One:
    • Speakers
    • In some ways the G2 is very comfortable to hold, but overall the HTC One has a better handfeel
    • Sense is a more elegant UI than LG's. Surprised how much I miss BlinkFeed.
    • I miss Zoes and Highlights.

Things I prefer about the LG G2 so far:
    • The HTC One has a fantastic screen, and I'm surprised to be saying this, but I like the LG G2's screen more. Significantly larger, but with those razor thin side bezels it doesn't feel much bigger, and it's absolutely stunning. (Apple likes to use that adjective a lot, I think the G2's screen genuinely deserves it!)
    • Performance: Once again the HTC One was excellent, but the LG G2 is noticeably better. For example the site forecast.io was very jumpy on my HTC One, but runs much more smoothly on the G2. There's a slots game I play (Jackpot Party) that doesn't seem particularly well optimized, and it was sometimes hitchy on the HTC One but runs faster on the G2.
    • Camera is significantly better. Haven't had time to play with it much, but quick auto shots are much more impressive IMO. More than makes up for not having Zoes & Highlights.
    • Buttons on the back: took me all of 5 minutes to get used to them and I love them. Very easy to feel what's what, and much less awkward to use. Also, double-tapping the phone to wake/sleep it is a great feature. Much easier than reaching for that top edge power button.
    • LG's UI may be overwrought, but there's some features I appreciate: e.g. having text messages appear in a little pop-up window so I can reply and dismiss without switching apps is really nice, keeping screen on while looking at it works well for me. (Tho pause/resume video based on where you're looking was not so good)
    • Battery life: Shaping up to be fantastic. Typical first day use: lots of camera play, video watching, browsing, all my initial setup and app downloading etc etc, have NFC, Bluetooth, GPS going, and even with all that usage I'm on track for 13 hours before needing my first charge. Who knows how it'll hold up in the long term but waaaay more than *any* other phone has given me on a first charge.
    • Haven't plugged in after my first charge yet, but if it charges as fast as most people say then that'll be a nice plus over the HTC One too.

Overall, very happy with the change and absolutely no regrets. I'm hoping I'll say the same thing a couple months from now. We'll see!

Oh, and to be a bit on-topic: GPS is working excellently so far. My One could occasionally be sluggish in getting oriented but so far it's been very quick with my G2
    Last edited by karmamule; 10-18-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added bit of on-topic discussion of GPS
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

GPS doesn't work for me. It keeps searching for a GPS signal and when and if it does find a signal its never accurate. It'll say I've turned down a road even though i haven't and then I'll take ages to update. I hope they bring out a fix soon....

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

To the earlier poster asking, I have Verizon.

Since I initially posted I am having a bit better luck -- but it still takes at least 30+ seconds to lock with an average usually over a minute. Navigation is still really tough as it always says "GPS SIGNAL LOST" whenever I am at a red light or stop for a period of time. It also seems to be off while driving about a block or two which makes navigating in big cities tough.

Current GPS Status:
    Satellites: 10/20
    Error: 11m
    Magnetic field: 45/50 uT
    Time to first fix: 37 seconds
    (I do wonder if this lower time is attributed to the weather widgets I am running which pulls my location to give me the current temp

As for switching from the HTC One:
    I wanted to "future proof" myself by having the snapdragon 800 (yes, specs don't always matter but I wanted to be in a position to hopefully take advantage of the always-on features that are rumored to be in KitKat and I wanted something that would last 2 years) and I wanted a bigger screen size without a noticeably larger size. Plus, the 4 megapixel camera wasn't producing images as big as I would like. Yes, they looked good, but at a smaller size. The camera on the G2, in my opinion, is much better.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast