motion sickness

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I tested one out recently at t-mobile, and got really nauseous. Not sure if it was the display quality combined with movement or what. The test unit was slightly bowed because they cranked down the security clamp, but I tried another and felt almost as bad with it. It almost felt too large for something you hold within four feet of your face. Anyone else experience this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with the way the homescreens swipe, with that kind of quick zoom as it comes from the side. It's the same general visual that reportedly was making iOS7 users nauseated as well. If there isn't a way to change the animations with the stock G2 launcher, you could always install a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher, which gives you a few different options for the swiping animation that are a little less jarring.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with the way the homescreens swipe, with that kind of quick zoom as it comes from the side. It's the same general visual that reportedly was making iOS7 users nauseated as well. If there isn't a way to change the animations with the stock G2 launcher, you could always install a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher, which gives you a few different options for the swiping animation that are a little less jarring.

There are multiple settings for home screen swiping.

Basic (like stock Android)
Breeze
Accordion
Panorama
Carousel
Layer
Domino

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure OP is just trying to put a spin on the whole iOS7 was making some people sick news blurb that came out last month. Odds are nothing really happened to OP, he/she was just trying to get some attention.

Last edited:

bgask1717

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure OP is just trying to put a spin on the whole iOS7 was making some people news blurb that came out last month. Odds are nothing really happened to OP, he/she was just trying to get some attention.

Agreed. Plus there is a simple solution if this was actually the case. Go into developer options and turn off all screen animations...

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Advice: do not use; also, do not fly on a plane, stay away from roller coasters and never set foot on a boat. If followed, you shouldn't ever experience motion sickness again. :D

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the idiots on the thread saying that I'm not man enough, or that I have some type of disability or agenda. Didn't your parents ever tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say...to keep your mouth shut? Hopefully some adult fixes that issue for you some day. If you need assistance physically with that, let me know.

And no, this isn't a conspiracy from me to drag this phone into Apple's problems. I have an iPad with IOS 7 and I did experience a little nausea on the first day that I installed it. However about 30 days later and I wasn't ever able to recreate the nausea again. I've never experienced any motion sickness anywhere else, in real life, like on boats at sea, airplanes, motorcycles, cars, etc. The only disability I do have astigmatism.

The goal of my original post was to prevent me from spending $600.00 on a phone that makes me feel like shi* every time I turn it on. I've owned the following recent phones, yet haven't ever experienced this on them: Blackberry Z10, Motorola Razr M, HTC One S, Palm Pre

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/ios-7-making-you-feel-sick-heres-why-8C11290690
....said Thomas Stoffregen, a professor of kinesiology who studies motion sickness at the University of Minnesota. "As imaging technology develops across platforms, and we get greater frame rates and resolution, we find an increasing tendency for it to make people sick."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/167717-ios-7-nausea-and-cybersickness-what-causes-it-and-why-its-a-sign-of-things-to-come
...Medical doctors and psychologists say that cybersickness is becoming more prevalent as frame rates and display resolutions increase.

If you haven't experienced this problem on this phone, then please don't bother replying. I don't want to hear it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The best thing you can do on a forum is to ignore unhelpful and mean posts. It's also the toughest thing to do. Speaking as a physician, it is not surprising that some of these animations can induce vertigo and nausea in some people. It just depends on the person and the situation.

Hopefully, a couple of the posts were still helpful. There is a setting on the G2 for you to adjust the animations, and you also have the option of installing a 3rd party launcher that has different animations, or no fancy animations on screen transitions.

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The best thing you can do on a forum is to ignore unhelpful and mean posts. It's also the toughest thing to do. Speaking as a physician, it is not surprising that some of these animations can induce vertigo and nausea in some people. It just depends on the person and the situation.

Hopefully, a couple of the posts were still helpful. There is a setting on the G2 for you to adjust the animations, and you also have the option of installing a 3rd party launcher that has different animations, or no fancy animations on screen transitions.

Yep, agreed. There were helpful posts, and I'm definitely going to give them a shot. I remember Accordion being on and staring at that transition closely and hating it. The second time I played with the phone I turned down the brightness and the Accordion effect wasn't on, and it definitely wasn't as bad on me. I think the large display combined with the images being so close to the glass was the big factor for me, so I hope I can get over that problem with the workarounds. Thanks!

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Once you turn on developer options, you can completely turn off all animations. This is the first thing I do when I get a new Android device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Once you turn on developer options, you can completely turn off all animations. This is the first thing I do when I get a new Android device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Cool. I'll give that a shot before I purchase. I was also thinking about a matte screen protector as well. I hate protectors and I hate matte, but it would be a last resort if I found it still tugged at my stomach. I'm just waiting on a trade-in to hit my account before I pull the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol