Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Notifications volume stuck on silent?

As far as I know, the volume for notifications has is stuck on silent. I can't get it off silent? I have verified that both the stock messaging app and chomp sms are both set for sound, even though the stock app's notifications is diabled. Everywhere you can adjust the notifications volume, I've set to play sounds upon receiving a message. But still, in the system settings, the Notifications volume slider remains on silent and it doesn't respond to touch. all the other sound sliders work fine and I can move them from silent to max volume. WTF!

anyone have any ideas?

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

Default Re: Notifications volume stuck on silent?

No insult intended here but worth a shot: is the device set on Mute? (speaker icon with a line through it, on the notification bar).

I just did a quick test, if the device is on Mute, the volume slider bars don't work.
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G3 D-852 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No worries, I'm willing to be insulted if it means I figure this out! yeah, I've made sure it's not on mute... unless there is somewhere hidden I haven't seen yet. to be thorough, when I receive a text, I get the little sms icon in the notifications bar, and the led blinks, but no sound.

Here is where I've gone to look for some option I might have selected mute or silence:

system settings -> Sound Tab -> Sound Profile -> made sure "sound' is selected.

system settings -> Sound Tab -> Volumes -> Here I can see all volume sliders, the Notifications slider is on mute and greyed out and (line through exclamation point)

Notifications bar quick toggles -> sound toggle is set on "Sound."

I've gone into both the stock messenger and Chomp SMS that I use and see nowhere to turn the sound off.

I haven't found anywhere else that will allow me to fix this... am I missing something any of you know of??????

thanks!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Nevermind... I just restarted the phone and the notification slider is now working. So I guess this is a "is your computer plugged in" tech support moment.

Global Posts
    781 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gonzales View Post
    Nevermind... I just restarted the phone and the notification slider is now working. So I guess this is a "is your computer plugged in" tech support moment.
    Is amazing that so many years later, a reboot often addresses the problem. Glad to see the issue resolved so simply.

Posted via Android Central App

I had the same problem this morning and could not figure out what was happening. I restarted the phone several times, switched the profile to "sound" only to have it revert back to "silent" within seconds. I finally figured out that my AT&T Drive Mode app was activated, despite the fact that it should only auto-activate when I'm traveling at 25 mph or greater, and I was sitting calmly in my bed at the time, with my phone beside me on the nightstand. Once I disabled Drive Mode, I was able to change the sound profile normally. I'm not sure if this has been an issue for others, but I thought I would post just in case.
    Thanked by:

this isn't a fix, but I'm pretty sure the problem is the new OS update. I've never had a problem and now it's a couple of bugs here and there since.
    Android! Fix kit Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gonzales View Post
    As far as I know, the volume for notifications has is stuck on silent. I can't get it off silent? I have verified that both the stock messaging app and chomp sms are both set for sound, even though the stock app's notifications is diabled. Everywhere you can adjust the notifications volume, I've set to play sounds upon receiving a message. But still, in the system settings, the Notifications volume slider remains on silent and it doesn't respond to touch. all the other sound sliders work fine and I can move them from silent to max volume. WTF!

anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Jordan Wah; 06-19-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: nothing was entered

I'm having the same problem all of the sudden and I've gone through every possible place to try and adjust! This is annnnnnooooyyyyyiiiiinnnnngggg!