Weird recent changes to my G2....please help

hanzel81

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Curious if anyone else has experienced some changes I've had on my G2 this past week. I have the Verizon variant. I have a new transparent google search bar on top of every home screen page that cannot be removed. Has a mic on left for google voice search, then the search bar, and on right a plus sign for adding apps/widgets to home screen. Along with this I've noticed that I now have to tap on the top status bar to 'knock knock' off my phone when I used to be able to tap anywhere on a home screen. Finally, under the bottom right settings button I no longer have the option to change themes and now only have "home screen settings", "lock screen settings" and "settings". Am I now stuck in the theme I am currently in? Thanks in advance for any input.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Curious if anyone else has experienced some changes I've had on my G2 this past week. I have the Verizon variant. I have a new transparent google search bar on top of every home screen page that cannot be removed. Has a mic on left for google voice search, then the search bar, and on right a plus sign for adding apps/widgets to home screen. Along with this I've noticed that I now have to tap on the top status bar to 'knock knock' off my phone when I used to be able to tap anywhere on a home screen. Finally, under the bottom right settings button I no longer have the option to change themes and now only have "home screen settings", "lock screen settings" and "settings". Am I now stuck in the theme I am currently in? Thanks in advance for any input.

Some how you got a new Launcher. Go back into settings>Display there should be a Home option. I apologize my LG is on a ROM. But once you change it back to LGHome Launcher it should be all back to normal. Can also delete the launcher, or remove it as default in apps.

hanzel81

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks newage for the response. I was also wondering if Id somehow got a launcher. Ive downloaded multiple themes but all for stock launcher and never a different launcher. Also hadnt made any changes or new downloads around time of noticing the above described changes. If I did have alt launcher how do I restore stock launcher? I dont see anything under downloaded apps that would be a launcher I could uninstall nor do I see any options under 'home screen settings'. There is a save/restore but that restores a previously saved custom setup which I havnt done so restore is grayed out. Here is a screenshot of my homescreen with the search bar I cannot remove. Anyone else know anything? Thanks again.

Screenshot_2013-11-02-09-28-51.jpg

hanzel81

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I can disable the 'google search' app which does remove the search bar but the plus sign remains. Was there an update that changed the 'knock knock' feature or got rid of the ability to change themes on Verizon version? I was in the Bahamas when I noticed these changes. Did being outside of the US give me some kind of international version update? I wouldn't think so, just trying to figure this out.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I can disable the 'google search' app which does remove the search bar but the plus sign remains. Was there an update that changed the 'knock knock' feature or got rid of the ability to change themes on Verizon version? I was in the Bahamas when I noticed these changes. Did being outside of the US give me some kind of international version update? I wouldn't think so, just trying to figure this out.

In settings. Pull down the notification bar and press the small gear to access settings. Scroll down to display and take a screen shot of that for me. Its in there the you change your launcher. I don't have stock software so I can't 100% remember where. If anyone else can chime in to direct where to change launcher in stock settings. Its very easy.

The knock knock feature should still work for knock on but to knock off you should be able to tap status bar.

And yeah being in the Bahamas could have screwed things up. That's why I don't travel... lol

Allan Joseph

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Hi. The same thing happened to me. What I did was remove all the themes I installed and on the basic theme there should be an option to uninstall the updates. Then just restart your g2 and hopefully it works ;-)

hanzel81

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Thank you Allan. I went into the basic theme in downloaded apps and uninstalled the updates and that worked. Hmm...curious why the updates did that. Hope it doesnt keep auto updating to that. Thanks for the help from you both.