LG G2: File Transfer to PC via USB Help

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I noticed something odd with the LG G2, or maybe something I'm not doing right. When I connect it to the computer via USB, I select MTP in USB settings and the hardrive pops up, I can then access all the folders on the phone through my PC, I can drag and drop music and movies to it's respective folders and vice versa from the phone back to the PC.

When I download a movie file or music through Torrent, and then connect it to my PC, I notice the files in the folders are not there for my PC to view so I can drag and drop to my computer hardrive. However if I go into the file browser on the phone the files are in the respective folders. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: File Transfer to PC via USB Help

If your files are on the emulated drive on the phone, the PC will not see them via the USB connection. Use the' Wireless Storage' option on the G2, connect to the PC and you will see the emulated drive.

There is a thread on how to connect to the PC via the Wireless Storage option.

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

Sorry bud but I disagree with you what you said. I think this is just how LG phones are setup to not detect the files. I'm saying this because I had an LG Optimus Pro, the phablet phone, I was pulling my hairs because it's really annoying where I downloaded a lot of videos, took it to my friends house to put on his PC and would not detect it. I found a fix for this, but I had the phone back in July, and I don't remember what I did. That's why I was wondering if anyone found how to get around this. I just totally forgot what I did again. LG are the only phones I know that have this issue, HTC, Samsung just detects it on your PC like a hard drive and lets you drag and drop from phone to PC and vice versa. I know the LG phone you can too, but I just forgot how to do it.

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

OMG I literally spent an hour now on this crap, still not able to do it. I tried testing it by downloading a torrent video file, when connecting to the PC by USB, it does not detect the file. What's weird is whatever I drag and drop from my PC to the G2, it works just fine. Anything I don't download using my phone, and then try to put those same files on the PC nothing comes up in the folder. I tried using LG Software same issue. Is anyone else experiencing this same issue? I swear I never experienced just annoyances with such a basic phone functionality. This phone shines in every area except for this one.

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Sorry bud but I disagree with you what you said. I think this is just how LG phones are setup to not detect the files. I'm saying this because I had an LG Optimus Pro, the phablet phone, I was pulling my hairs because it's really annoying where I downloaded a lot of videos, took it to my friends house to put on his PC and would not detect it. I found a fix for this, but I had the phone back in July, and I don't remember what I did. That's why I was wondering if anyone found how to get around this. I just totally forgot what I did again. LG are the only phones I know that have this issue, HTC, Samsung just detects it on your PC like a hard drive and lets you drag and drop from phone to PC and vice versa. I know the LG phone you can too, but I just forgot how to do it.

Does the torrent app create hidden directories? Maybe on PC change to view hidden files and directories.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

I would disagree with you as well. I just went through the process of trying to move some backup files to my PC (Tntanium Backup, TWRP Backups) that were stored on the emulated drive on the phone. They were not visible through windows explorer, using either LG PC Connectivity Software, or when the phone was use as a USB storage device, or for that matter, any other option to transfer files that the phone offers, be it Charge Phone, Media Sync, Tethering, PC Software, or PTP The only way that I could see the files on the emulated drive was through the Wireless Storage option.

It would have much preferred seeing the files and being able to transfer them using the USB option as it is much faster, but alas, I was stuck with the wireless storage option.

Now there may be some hidden or third part software or even newer windows versions that allow you to see the files but with XP Pro and SP3, there was no way that I was able to find the emulated drive on the phone using the "standard" procedures. It is however accessible via the Wireless Storage option.

saaortho

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

i bought LG G2 but i am not able to connect it to my PC as a drive and can not transfer files. Can anybody help. Thanks

nighthawk 2

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Hey socacola, same thing happens on my Optimus G. Check this out. Restart your phone after the torrent download is done. Then your file will be visible on the computer via USB.

Ryan Venson

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site

I know I'm really late on this, but here is how you do it. I've had my phone for almost 4 months, and finally just figured this out. It's more hidden than it needs to be, because it doesn't automatically recognize the device, which is what 95% of media devices do nowadays.

Anyways, after you connect via USB, you have to go to Settings-->General-->PC Connection-->Select USB connection method-->media sync (MTP). On my PC (running Windows 7) it then shows up in "my computer" as a portable device, recognized as the G2.

davidzeb

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

Turn off USB Debugging Mode in Developer options. This causes USB data transfers to fail for some reason.

Carlos Aznar

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
By the way, I made it work with all of the above but with an original samsung or LG usb cable. It seems some of the OEM cables aren't recognized. I had one of those.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams