connect LG G2 to pc, will it show up as a drive?

vistascape

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
i want to buy a lg g2 and ive heard that its not possible to connect it to pc and see it directly as a flashdrive. is this true?

edit: via USB

Last edited by a moderator:

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: connect lg g2 to pc, will it show up as a drive?

Mostly. Yes you can see the S D Drive via a USB connection. The emulated drive will show up if you the Wireless Storage option.

saaortho

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

hi
i am having the same problem. i can not connect my new LG G2 to my computer as a drive. Does anybody has a solution?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I haven't experienced this issue with the G2. It has plug & pop feature which should give options (charging, media sync, etc.) when USB is connected to computer.

Posted via Android Central App

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I would imagine the version of windows might make a difference on what happens when you plug in the phone to it

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

After you plug in the usb between phone and computer, select "media sync (MTP)" and then it shows up as a drive (you'll see a folder on your pc pop up with the contents of your phone). Then just copy and paste between phone and pc.

It does that on linux anyway, but there's no reason why the same shouldn't happen using windows or OS X

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

My LG G2 works fine and shows up as a Drive... However I just use Wireless Storage and type in \\G2 in networks to access it :)

keiken01

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I tried and my G2 won't show with USB to my XP. I installed PDAnet 4.15 but no luck. Would liek to be able to moves pics and such back and forth, but even the Wireless share doesn't appear to work on my Netgear when I put in the IP or G2.

keiken01

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

ok, so I have to retract my previous post. I unplugged the usb... went to watch the football game, came back on commercial to try looking at the pdanet and tested it and it pops up saying it found the device and auto connected MTP.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

The device will not connect as a "drive" meaning show up with a drive letter. It will connect as a "device" meaning the files are accessible from My Computer, but it's as a media device or camera device, and those don't get drive letters.

PK Bakker

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I too had some trouble with this, my lgg2 would not connect to my pc. It worked fine on my mac, but not on my pc.

My pc with Asus motherboard and asus software installed. When I uninstalled the Asus AIsuite III, and rebooted, the G2 connected with no problem :cool:
I than installed Lg pc-suite and tested all ok. And then I installed the Asus software again and it all worked fine. Must have been a driver issue between Asus and LG?

Anyway, now it work like a charm :)

Ryan Venson

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've had my phone for almost 4 months, and finally just figured this out. It's more hidden than it needs to be, because it doesn't automatically recognize the device, which is what 95% of media devices do nowadays.
Anyways, after you connect via USB, you have to go to Settings-->General-->PC Connection-->Select USB connection method-->media sync (MTP). On my PC (running Windows 7) it then shows up in "my computer" as a portable device, recognized as the G2.

OzRob

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
No you can't connect it as USB Storage.

It sees just fine.

To try to clear this up once and for all, the LG G2 with stock firmware cannot be mounted as a removable drive like you would a USB stick (ie. it doesn't support USB mass storage mode (USM) and isn't assigned a drive letter). Instead it supports Media Transport Protocol (MTP) and will be seen as a "portable device" in Windows Explorer. For most needs, such as copying files to and from the phone, MTP mode will operated just like mass storage mode, that is you can drag and drop files to and from the device and explore the contents of folders on the device. But the phone storage WILL NOT show up as a standard removable drive.

This is not a phone-specific issue - Android officially removed support for USM with the release of Honeycomb.

Also, not supporting USM is an advantage for devices like phones because it allows the phone (and OS) developers to handle the available internal storage better and use more efficient memory formatting techniques (because they don't have to support a FAT partition to use with USM).

By default when you plug your G2 into a computer the phone will popup an option list asking what you want to do. You should have the following options: Charge the phone, MTP, Tethering, LG Software and PTP. If you select MTP your phone will appear in Windows Explorer as a device and you can manipulate the files on it.

If you don't get the setting pop up on your phone asking you how you want to connect, go to Settings > General > PC Connection. Check the box "Ask upon connection" to enable this. Touch "Select USB connection method" to manually open the connection type screen and set/change how you want to connect. The method you select will be remembered next (and each) time you connect to a PC.

sweetpea261984

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a lg g2 and somehow it deleted all my pictures i need the phone to connect to the computer so that recovery programs recognize it but i cant get it to is there a way to?

warrencoles

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I am also having the same problem that i can't get the device to display under windows explorer. It is a device problem as when attached to another computer in the LG service center it works fine. Still i am in the same situation that all my other USBs will connect, but not my LG G2. I have a toshiba protege computer with Windows 7 professional 64 bit. And, the funny thing is, i restarted my computer and while it was shutting down for a brief few seconds it did actually work properly with the MTP icon coming up on my phone. After restart finished it was back to not working. I don't know if that helps to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Thanks!

Robert Kaempen

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Why does my LGG2 not connect to my computer?

My phone is charging & I selected Media sync (MTP), why won't it connect to my Computer/ PC?

You are using a USB Cord that is for Charging and doesn't have data transfer features. You need to use a USB cord that came with the phone. That one is used for transferring data to and from your phone as well as charging!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463