Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bobaroo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One vs LG G2 : My Review

LG G2 vs HTC One
    I recently “upgraded” to an LG G2 after owning the HTC One for about 6 months. I usually go through phones once every 6-8 months. Yes, I am one of those who needs the latest and greatest. However, I held to the HTC One hoping HTC would address their most discussed defect – the purple/pink camera hue.

Design

Whether or not you are an Android fan, you have to notice the HTC One design. Made with pressed aluminum, the phone is a beautiful piece of hardware. At the time, the phone’s side bezels were one of the thinnest. However, LG came along and created a phone with almost no side bezel and a plastic body to cover the back of the phone.

4 UltraPixels vs 13 Megapixels

The UltraPixels idea was a good start to a mixed execution. For the most part, majority of the pictures taken with mobile phones tend to be close to midrange. Also, people tend to take pictures indoors or in places where there is poor lighting. The UltraPixel technology allows up to 330% more light per pixel, which makes the phone adequate for low light settings.
    Theoretically, by addressing this in their camera they would have an all-around camera that could void carrying a point and shoot. Sadly, HTC decided to allocate 4 megapixels with this technology. This means there is very little room for zooming it or taking mid-range to landscape shots. Also, viewing these photos in large would be grainy because of the lack of photo size.
    Having owned the phone, I really did enjoy the UltraPixels when I first got it. In low light settings the phone was excellent. The pictures came out clear and I did not have to use my flash. The daylight pictures were pretty good too. At times I did have to play around with the settings. What I mean by this is that I used HDR, Night, Macro, and Landscape settings when taking pictures. I know not most people do this, but I do.
    One thing I really grew fund of was Zoe. Zoe is a feature that lets the user video 3 seconds and then allows then to edit and/or pull a photo/frame out of the video. Since it was a video you also could edit people and objects out of the frame, as well as stitch moving shots.
    Zoe also could let you select videos and photos to create a small 36 second video with your selection of filters and music.
    I really wish more mobile phone camera suites went this way. Consequently, they seem to be going the way of Samsung.
    LG decided to stick the G2 with a 13 megapixel Sony sensor that does well in low lights, but is no dark killer. Though it does an ok job in low light settings, it does suffer from a poor post processing. The logarithm they are using to process the shots tends to render the images too soft at times. When you zoom in you really feel as if the picture was a painting rather than a photo.
    This is a camera app issue though. I used other apps and they at times rendered better photos because they use their own logarithm. I would advise you try different camera apps if you are having the same results I am under low light settings.
    You do get 12 presets with the G2, while you get about 7 settings to select from with HTC. Both phones come with image stabilization hardware.

Video:

HTC One’s video settings are different. HTC does include a slow motion setting, which I used and liked. However, the quality was set to 720p.
    The G2 has the ability to shoot 60fps. This is pretty neat because it gives the video more realistic movement. However, this is something no one can take advantage of unless they own a 4K TV.
    The G2 also has a tracking option that tracks the object you select it to. Every time the object moves the video tries to adjust and re-focus. It’s a pretty neat feature. It also tracks the audio of the object you attach it to.

Here is the direct link: HERE

Default Re: HTC One vs LG G2 : My Review

Thanks for the comparison. Love the g2. Came to LG, from HTC rezound....

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You are welcomed. You will be in for a treat. :-)

Good comparison. ..I am from Samsung note to LG... really I love G2

Posted via Android Central App

great review!! In it you mention using a different camera app for better performance, can you let us know which are your favourites?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robfactory View Post
    LG G2 vs HTC One
    I recently “upgraded” to an LG G2 after owning the HTC One for about 6 months. I usually go through phones once every 6-8 months. Yes, I am one of those who needs the latest and greatest. However, I held to the HTC One hoping HTC would address their most discussed defect – the purple/pink camera hue.

Design

Whether or not you are an Android fan, you have to notice the HTC One design. Made with pressed aluminum, the phone is a beautiful piece of hardware. At the time, the phone’s side bezels were one of the thinnest. However, LG came along and created a phone with almost no side bezel and a plastic body to cover the back of the phone.

4 UltraPixels vs 13 Megapixels

The UltraPixels idea was a good start to a mixed execution. For the most part, majority of the pictures taken with mobile phones tend to be close to midrange. Also, people tend to take pictures indoors or in places where there is poor lighting. The UltraPixel technology allows up to 330% more light per pixel, which makes the phone adequate for low light settings.
    Theoretically, by addressing this in their camera they would have an all-around camera that could void carrying a point and shoot. Sadly, HTC decided to allocate 4 megapixels with this technology. This means there is very little room for zooming it or taking mid-range to landscape shots. Also, viewing these photos in large would be grainy because of the lack of photo size.
    Having owned the phone, I really did enjoy the UltraPixels when I first got it. In low light settings the phone was excellent. The pictures came out clear and I did not have to use my flash. The daylight pictures were pretty good too. At times I did have to play around with the settings. What I mean by this is that I used HDR, Night, Macro, and Landscape settings when taking pictures. I know not most people do this, but I do.
    One thing I really grew fund of was Zoe. Zoe is a feature that lets the user video 3 seconds and then allows then to edit and/or pull a photo/frame out of the video. Since it was a video you also could edit people and objects out of the frame, as well as stitch moving shots.
    Zoe also could let you select videos and photos to create a small 36 second video with your selection of filters and music.
    I really wish more mobile phone camera suites went this way. Consequently, they seem to be going the way of Samsung.
    LG decided to stick the G2 with a 13 megapixel Sony sensor that does well in low lights, but is no dark killer. Though it does an ok job in low light settings, it does suffer from a poor post processing. The logarithm they are using to process the shots tends to render the images too soft at times. When you zoom in you really feel as if the picture was a painting rather than a photo.
    This is a camera app issue though. I used other apps and they at times rendered better photos because they use their own logarithm. I would advise you try different camera apps if you are having the same results I am under low light settings.
    You do get 12 presets with the G2, while you get about 7 settings to select from with HTC. Both phones come with image stabilization hardware.

Video:

HTC One’s video settings are different. HTC does include a slow motion setting, which I used and liked. However, the quality was set to 720p.
    The G2 has the ability to shoot 60fps. This is pretty neat because it gives the video more realistic movement. However, this is something no one can take advantage of unless they own a 4K TV.
    The G2 also has a tracking option that tracks the object you select it to. Every time the object moves the video tries to adjust and re-focus. It’s a pretty neat feature. It also tracks the audio of the object you attach it to.

Here is the direct link: HERE
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks mount.zed.
    I currently have in my phone installed:
    PicSay Pro
    Pixrl -0- matic
    Snapseed
    Pro HDR Camera
    Vignette
    Paper Camera
    Perfectly Clear
    Afterfocus Pro
    Camera Zoom
    I've noticed that stock and vignette work pretty well. This phone is not advertised as a One night time killer and it doesn't come close. However it tried. I suggest working with different apps if stock is not giving you the desired outcome. I just happened to use Vignette because it offers a lot of settings and filters. If you are photographer or like shooting (photos) Vignette is a must.

im about to pull trigger on the HTC instead of G2, after a lot of thought.
    main reason is the UI. cannot stand the Samsung feel of the LG. IMO it's ugly, a mess, not intuitive and not smart. i personally just hate it.
    putting a launcher may slow it, and also disable the double tap. i'm not into endless tweaking. too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rozroz View Post
    main reason is the UI. cannot stand the Samsung feel of the LG. IMO it's ugly, a mess, not intuitive and not smart. i personally just hate it.
    putting a launcher may slow it, and also disable the double tap. i'm not into endless tweaking. too bad.
    I have a Launcher installed and it does not slow down the G2 at all. Double Tap still works perfectly on the lockscreen, and it works just fine on the homescreen but you have to tap in the Notification area.

Quote Originally Posted by rozroz View Post

The LG skin is the most unobtrusive I have seen in a long time. I personally like software features like Q slide that allow me to take advantage of the huge screen real estate. Also, using a launcher is going to replace your "theme/ui", not slow it down.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Uploaded Part 1 of 2 videos on the review.

ROM
    AOKP M5

I got a G2 last week girflriend got a HTC One a few months ago. We both came from a Galaxy Nexus and so far couldn't be happier.

The One feels great, awesome build sturdy and secure but also light in the hand. The Aluminum is really a great feature and makes the phone feel like a premium device. The G2 is nowhere near this level, feels light and cheap. I threw an incipio feather lite case on and it made a nice difference.
    Software wise, Sense > LG, though I rooted my G2 and have a debloated ROM which is running real well.

Otherwise I'll take the G2. Nicer screen, better specs, battery. Also Knock On/Off is an awesome feature on the G2
    robfactory and tsells like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Updated again: 2 wks later