LG G2: can't boot into recovery mode!

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've just rooted my g2. I'm trying to do a nandroid backup. I've installed ROM manager and clockwork recovery. The next step is to boot into recovery mode. When I try to do this with the ROM manager app, I get the lg logo, then my screen just shows the android bot with its belly/cupboard open and a red triangle, with an exclamation mark in it, coming out. And it just stays like that.

I can't figure out how to launch the phone into boot loader using the physical buttons. I've tried holding power+volume down and power+volume up, neither seem to work.

The hell is going on??

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: can't boot into recovery mode!

I don't use CWM. I went with TWRP, personally.

But to get into the device with physical buttons on TWRP you power off the device, and then power it on holding both volume down + power. As soon as the LG logo comes up release it and immediately do the same thing again and hold them down. It will bring you to a reset screen and you hit power 3 times to reboot into TWRP.

I can't say that'll work with CWM, but that's how it works with TWRP. Side note the error you're getting sounds to me like CWM didn't work right.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
In ROM manager, I went to recovery setup and selected TWRP. It was under "recovery already installed", I don't know why. I got a message saying ROM manager has been set up to use your existing recovery installation. Then I selected reboot into recovery. Got a message asking if I was sure I wanted to reboot into TWRP. I selected yes, and the exact same thing happened. I'm really not sure what I'm doing.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

But to get into the device with physical buttons on TWRP you power off the device, and then power it on holding both volume down + power. As soon as the LG logo comes up release it and immediately do the same thing again and hold them down. It will bring you to a reset screen and you hit power 3 times to reboot into TWRP.

I also tried this. After the lg logo appears, and I release the power and volume buttons and press them again, it brings me to a factory reset screen, and says that resting well delete user data and settings. It says to press the power button to continue. I don't know if that was the reset screen you were talking about, so I didn't want to press the power button.

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

How did you install clockwork recovery? Did you Loki it? Or does clockwork mod install it for you? I havent used the clockwork mod app in a while..

I Loki installed cwm touch. There are two ways to get into recovery.. "Adb reboot recovery" from the adb prompt or like mentioned earlier hold power and down at the same time until the lg logo pops up.. Release them and press them both again - the hard reset menu will appear. Hit power and it will reboot into recovery. However you want to make sure cwr is installed. I would try adb reboot recovery first.

good info here on how to install either CWM or TWRP
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2449670
or
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2472223

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

If you get the red triangle screen then you didn't install recovery correctly. That screen is the stock android recovery.

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as I've probably incorrectly installed cwm, how do I get rid of it? I tried to install cwm using ROM manager, so will uninstalling ROM manager get rid of it? I want to try titanium back up instead.

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

You can just re-install it.

[GUIDE] INSTALLING TWRP on LGG2 (VZW, AT&T, TMobile, KT, d802, others) [UPDATED] - xda-developers
and
[RECOVERY] TWRP D802 | F320K (Latest LG SW!) [AUTO][ZIP] TMO/VZW [ZIP][2.6.3.2] - xda-developers

if you rooted then this should be no problem

titanium backup is not recovery, I use it to back up and restore apps separate from the rom. I also use it to backup mms and text messages. I beleive it will do a nandroid but am not sure. Clockwork recovery will do the entire rom.

Seeing as I've probably incorrectly installed cwm, how do I get rid of it? I tried to install cwm using ROM manager, so will uninstalling ROM manager get rid of it? I want to try titanium back up instead.

jess ask

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I did an update from ATT on my LG G2. It rebooted and took me to TWRP screen. I have no idea what that is
or what it's for, and nor do I care. I just want to get back to my regular LG software. I tried hard reset,reboot,power off and on. And it's loops back to the same screen. I know some about phones, but i'm not this advanced. Can someone please give me advice?

I'm assuming I need to re-install the origial LG software? If so, how can I do that? and where can I find someone to help me do that bc I don't want to make things worse for my phone.

HELP!! I would really apprecite it!

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I did an update from ATT on my LG G2. It rebooted and took me to TWRP screen. I have no idea what that is
or what it's for, and nor do I care. I just want to get back to my regular LG software. I tried hard reset,reboot,power off and on. And it's loops back to the same screen. I know some about phones, but i'm not this advanced. Can someone please give me advice?

I'm assuming I need to re-install the origial LG software? If so, how can I do that? and where can I find someone to help me do that bc I don't want to make things worse for my phone.

HELP!! I would really apprecite it!

Hi, did you randomly search for TWRP and find this thread?
I have been researching TWRP/CWM and ways of rooting G2 for a while now, and the important thing I found is that you are never to Update OTA after installing recovery.

My suspicion and worry is that you were rooted, and TWRP was on your G2 (did you buy it used? Did someone play with your phone and say "let me root it for you"?) If so, you may be in trouble.
I am not sure if there is anyone who can help here, but you may want to check xda-developers' G2 section for answers.

Jay-enn Mejido

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Hey guys. I need help. I tried installing CWM recovery in my Mtk6589 Gt-19500 phone. It didn't work after how many tries. Then suddenly, I can't even reboot my phone in recovery mode. Pls help me. I've been doing so many things in my phone already. Im afraid it will get bricked or something. Thanks a lot guys.

Isaiah Sanders1

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

When my phone starts up I get the two errors. Then I can't do anything. No home screen or lock screen.. so I found a way into the settings. Which is useless because I can't find the problem or a way into recovery.. twrp was deleted in the restore. Nothing can be installed. How do I access the recovery. I tried everything else. Nothing works

lexfrancis

May 25, 2013
Visit site

When my phone starts up I get the two errors. Then I can't do anything. No home screen or lock screen.. so I found a way into the settings. Which is useless because I can't find the problem or a way into recovery.. twrp was deleted in the restore. Nothing can be installed. How do I access the recovery. I tried everything else. Nothing works

Someone told me i should unroot my g2, do a factory reset, then reroot before doing anything else, like installing apps or signing into google. Triple check everything, be as attentive as possible. The problems we've been getting may be due to something not installing properly, maybe you did something wrong while rooting. Either way, you can't go wrong with starting again.

I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IixQjo_hyz8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Other guides I've read are consistent with this, so I'm gonna follow it step by step. It will wipe everything on your phone, but you can just back it up on your PC. One you've done that, root it again as carefully as you can, check everything.

Justin Hardigree1

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Help!! I had everything working just fine when until I updated to the newest nightly. Today is 3/21/2014. My G2 is the AT&T variant. It went wrong when I hit the install button for Xposed framework, then when I tried to reboot it stayed on the LG logo indefinitely. After I got past that it just boot looped cyanogenmod. It would pop up with the "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped working" and then shut down and repeat. So I then pressed the power button and volume up to get into recovery. I have Team win. I installed my month old copy of CM11 and gapps. but I forgot to clear all the things before i did that. now it is still boot looping and I cannot get the phone into recovery again. It seems as though the buttons don't work. It takes a 10+ second power button hold at just the right moment to get it to shut off from the loop. Has anyone had this issue? this thread is the only thing I have found that even comes close to the same issue im having. :'(

spoutinwyze

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Help!! I had everything working just fine when until I updated to the newest nightly. Today is 3/21/2014. My G2 is the AT&T variant. It went wrong when I hit the install button for Xposed framework, then when I tried to reboot it stayed on the LG logo indefinitely. After I got past that it just boot looped cyanogenmod. It would pop up with the "unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped working" and then shut down and repeat. So I then pressed the power button and volume up to get into recovery. I have Team win. I installed my month old copy of CM11 and gapps. but I forgot to clear all the things before i did that. now it is still boot looping and I cannot get the phone into recovery again. It seems as though the buttons don't work. It takes a 10+ second power button hold at just the right moment to get it to shut off from the loop. Has anyone had this issue? this thread is the only thing I have found that even comes close to the same issue im having. :'(

Almost identical scenario for me. Im in boot loop with processes that crash inside OS. And the hardware buttons no longer allow to boot into loader/recovery. In addition any pc with any USB with any driver always fails as "device not recognized".
I think we both have bricked our devices.
Heres a link to cyanogenmod forums where ive posted my issue.

Last edited: