Have had Nexus5 for a week now, thinking about selling and getting a G2... Am I mad ?

Intenti0n

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Nexus 5 was the first full-time jump in to Android for me. I have tried Android before but only as an additional to my current iPhone.

This time, I have completely ditched the iPhone 4s and using the Nexus 5 full time:-*

So far, its been very good !. I am loving the larger screen and how fast the phone is.

However, the call quality ,specifically when using a headset, really has made me want to jump ship. I REALLY love the phone, but as I make calls for work, I cant have a phone where people cant hear me.
As you can see, it seems to be a known thing - Google Groups

My question is, would getting a G2 be a wise move ? I know you guys don't have KitKat yet .... but will you get it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had both, simultaneously. To me the G2 is the more desirable device. Battery life is incredible and the camera is better.

OptimuS G Pro

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Call quality is good enough that I never even think about it. However, I will make a deliberate effort to consider its quality.

G Pad 8.3

crackbaby001

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Played with the g2 today, much better looking and more solid than the nexus 5 imo. With better battery and camera. It will get kitkat soon. Btw, the white one looks nicer than the black imo. Almost bought the nexus 5, so glad I didn't.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to make anyone mad in the G2 section but have you tried the Moto X? Now i may sound like a used car salesman but hear me out. First if youre coming from an iphone, the form factor alone is an easy transition and it has still a nice size screen that reaches from bezel to bezel. The display is 720p but amoled and very beautiful with great viewing angles. Near stock Android that already has KitKat is a nice change for me coming from Samsung who has soo much software in them, they tend to slow down now and then. The X doesnt have the bloatware either. Next is the very useful features such as active notifications, touchless control and Moto assist where your phone senses youre driving and text/calls are read to you. Some of these features are powered by extra individual cores that only have one purpose each, lessening the load on he main processor and i tell you the thing is super smooth and snappy and doesnt have some of the stutter you see with other high end phones. Lastly Motorola has a well known track record of having great speakers and call quality. All the phones on he market are worthy but take a look at the Moto x. Its an underrated phone for those who have not owned one but ive h been pretty blown away by it. Again not to stomp on he G2 as i was actually seriously considering with the loads of features..but in the end the problems that ive read about with some of the screen,knock knock issues ect.. Made me think that there may be just a little too much going on in there software wise to really be trouble free. Of coarse this is just my opinion but im very happy with the route i took and the route Motorola took going sort of against the masses and actually introduced the class "optimizaton 101". :) Much like the iphone.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
moto x is a great choice too. my wife has a moto x and she loves it. i have a g2 and love it. my only concern with the moto x is that its not as future proof as the g2 in terms of specs. and i know we get too caught up with specs, but some are important. as far as the g2 vs the n5? +1 to the g2.

it has a much better camera, not just with resolution, but also with software.
it has a 3000 mah battery vs a 2300 mah on the n5, which makes a BIG difference
it has an IR blaster which i find very useful... my whole house is programmed with this...

Intenti0n

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey you guys !!!

what excellent responses :)

Does G2 come with a headset? Any chance someone could confirm that audio (ie mic) work fine from the headset?

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the Nexus 5 and really wanted one, but in the end I went with the G2 and am more than satisfied with everything about it. LG's UI is pretty nice, but I went with Nova Launcher anyhow, just like I would have over stock Google. The battery is fantastic on the G2, and since I bought it from a carrier (T-Mobile) it has twice the onboard storage of the N5 if bought from a carrier. The camera is better, the screen is larger, and probably a couple of other things I can't think of at the moment. This phone is great. I'll get another Nexus someday, but for now, I'm not regretting this choice at all.

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey you guys !!!

what excellent responses :)

Does G2 come with a headset? Any chance someone could confirm that audio (ie mic) work fine from the headset?

I've only used wired earbuds with mics designed for Android (Klipsch, Jays, UE) they all work as designed.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery alone should be a huge factor to go with G2, if the money is not an issue (if you are paying full price). I never had any issue people not hearing me on G2 so far. It is a great phone, except I am trying to fix the laggy scroll issue (purely graphical/visual issue, so far I don't have any physical issues), feels like there is something hold the phone back, and I really don't want to do a factory restore.. I bet it's one of those AT&T crapware that gets pre-loaded.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've only used wired earbuds with mics designed for Android (Klipsch, Jays, UE) they all work as designed.

I use the buds that came with the iPhone 5 I have for work, and they work fine for calls, just don't expect the I line volume buttons to work.

Posted via Android Central App

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Android Central blogge just gave best phone to Moto X over all the other latest devices. Given that these devices are used heavily for visual content, I find it incomprehensible that a phone with a 720p screen could even be in the running with 1080ps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Android Central blogge just gave best phone to Moto X over all the other latest devices. Given that these devices are used heavily for visual content, I find it incomprehensible that a phone with a 720p screen could even be in the running with 1080ps.

Someone from google must have dropped a line to him, at that cost no way Moto X is the best device. You can just consider their ratings and reviews purely personal opinion and cannot reflect the real world choices of most users. I think they should stick to reviewing and not rating these things, or just rate it based on specs/value. Most of them are still doing it totally wrong, but what are you going to do.. just nod and move along.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
You upgraded...no reason to look back at all.

G Pad 8.3

That's what I think, too. Bigger screen and battery, more storage, (carrier bought) etc. Might not have the newest software, but, that's not really needed. I would like an update in the future for the TRIM feature in 4.3, but if needed, I'll root and rom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante