Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Cool Have had Nexus5 for a week now, thinking about selling and getting a G2... Am I mad ?

Hi All,

Nexus 5 was the first full-time jump in to Android for me. I have tried Android before but only as an additional to my current iPhone.

This time, I have completely ditched the iPhone 4s and using the Nexus 5 full time

So far, its been very good !. I am loving the larger screen and how fast the phone is.

However, the call quality ,specifically when using a headset, really has made me want to jump ship. I REALLY love the phone, but as I make calls for work, I cant have a phone where people cant hear me.
    As you can see, it seems to be a known thing - Google Groups

My question is, would getting a G2 be a wise move ? I know you guys don't have KitKat yet .... but will you get it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Have had Nexus5 for a week now, thinking about selling and getting a G2... Am I mad ?

I've had both, simultaneously. To me the G2 is the more desirable device. Battery life is incredible and the camera is better.

OptimuS G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

Hilman76 and AbuYazeedUK like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Have had Nexus5 for a week now, thinking about selling and getting a G2... Am I mad ?

Thanks for the reply Haalcyon
    Any comment on the call quality or microphone quality?

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Call quality is good enough that I never even think about it. However, I will make a deliberate effort to consider its quality.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

OK great, I think I am 99% going with LG G2.

Any word on when that will get Kit-Kit ?

thanks again

Played with the g2 today, much better looking and more solid than the nexus 5 imo. With better battery and camera. It will get kitkat soon. Btw, the white one looks nicer than the black imo. Almost bought the nexus 5, so glad I didn't.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

Not to make anyone mad in the G2 section but have you tried the Moto X? Now i may sound like a used car salesman but hear me out. First if youre coming from an iphone, the form factor alone is an easy transition and it has still a nice size screen that reaches from bezel to bezel. The display is 720p but amoled and very beautiful with great viewing angles. Near stock Android that already has KitKat is a nice change for me coming from Samsung who has soo much software in them, they tend to slow down now and then. The X doesnt have the bloatware either. Next is the very useful features such as active notifications, touchless control and Moto assist where your phone senses youre driving and text/calls are read to you. Some of these features are powered by extra individual cores that only have one purpose each, lessening the load on he main processor and i tell you the thing is super smooth and snappy and doesnt have some of the stutter you see with other high end phones. Lastly Motorola has a well known track record of having great speakers and call quality. All the phones on he market are worthy but take a look at the Moto x. Its an underrated phone for those who have not owned one but ive h been pretty blown away by it. Again not to stomp on he G2 as i was actually seriously considering with the loads of features..but in the end the problems that ive read about with some of the screen,knock knock issues ect.. Made me think that there may be just a little too much going on in there software wise to really be trouble free. Of coarse this is just my opinion but im very happy with the route i took and the route Motorola took going sort of against the masses and actually introduced the class "optimizaton 101". Much like the iphone.
    Thanked by:

moto x is a great choice too. my wife has a moto x and she loves it. i have a g2 and love it. my only concern with the moto x is that its not as future proof as the g2 in terms of specs. and i know we get too caught up with specs, but some are important. as far as the g2 vs the n5? +1 to the g2.

it has a much better camera, not just with resolution, but also with software.
    it has a 3000 mah battery vs a 2300 mah on the n5, which makes a BIG difference
    it has an IR blaster which i find very useful... my whole house is programmed with this...
    Android Central - Super Member
    "Don't forget to thank him/her who helped you"
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Hey you guys !!!

what excellent responses

Does G2 come with a headset? Any chance someone could confirm that audio (ie mic) work fine from the headset?

Quote Originally Posted by Intenti0n View Post
    Hey you guys !!!

what excellent responses

Does G2 come with a headset? Any chance someone could confirm that audio (ie mic) work fine from the headset?
    it doesnt come with a headset... and i would bet it doesnt work with a mic... not 100% though
    Android Central - Super Member
    "Don't forget to thank him/her who helped you"
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Call quality is good enough that I never even think about it. However, I will make a deliberate effort to consider its quality.

G Pad 8.3
    You can make phone calls on these things too?!?
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

I looked at the Nexus 5 and really wanted one, but in the end I went with the G2 and am more than satisfied with everything about it. LG's UI is pretty nice, but I went with Nova Launcher anyhow, just like I would have over stock Google. The battery is fantastic on the G2, and since I bought it from a carrier (T-Mobile) it has twice the onboard storage of the N5 if bought from a carrier. The camera is better, the screen is larger, and probably a couple of other things I can't think of at the moment. This phone is great. I'll get another Nexus someday, but for now, I'm not regretting this choice at all.
    Hilman76 and Haalcyon like this.

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Intenti0n View Post
    Hey you guys !!!

what excellent responses

I've only used wired earbuds with mics designed for Android (Klipsch, Jays, UE) they all work as designed.

Battery alone should be a huge factor to go with G2, if the money is not an issue (if you are paying full price). I never had any issue people not hearing me on G2 so far. It is a great phone, except I am trying to fix the laggy scroll issue (purely graphical/visual issue, so far I don't have any physical issues), feels like there is something hold the phone back, and I really don't want to do a factory restore.. I bet it's one of those AT&T crapware that gets pre-loaded.

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by lakaw View Post
    I've only used wired earbuds with mics designed for Android (Klipsch, Jays, UE) they all work as designed.
    I use the buds that came with the iPhone 5 I have for work, and they work fine for calls, just don't expect the I line volume buttons to work.

Posted via Android Central App

Android Central blogge just gave best phone to Moto X over all the other latest devices. Given that these devices are used heavily for visual content, I find it incomprehensible that a phone with a 720p screen could even be in the running with 1080ps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    Android Central blogge just gave best phone to Moto X over all the other latest devices. Given that these devices are used heavily for visual content, I find it incomprehensible that a phone with a 720p screen could even be in the running with 1080ps.
    Someone from google must have dropped a line to him, at that cost no way Moto X is the best device. You can just consider their ratings and reviews purely personal opinion and cannot reflect the real world choices of most users. I think they should stick to reviewing and not rating these things, or just rate it based on specs/value. Most of them are still doing it totally wrong, but what are you going to do.. just nod and move along.
    Adawg1203 likes this.

I also jumped from an N5 to a G2.

Haven't looked back tbh.

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue360 View Post
    I also jumped from an N5 to a G2.

Haven't looked back tbh.
    You upgraded...no reason to look back at all.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

You upgraded...no reason to look back at all.

G Pad 8.3
    That's what I think, too. Bigger screen and battery, more storage, (carrier bought) etc. Might not have the newest software, but, that's not really needed. I would like an update in the future for the TRIM feature in 4.3, but if needed, I'll root and rom.

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    That's what I think, too. Bigger screen and battery, more storage, (carrier bought) etc. Might not have the newest software, but, that's not really needed. I would like an update in the future for the TRIM feature in 4.3, but if needed, I'll root and rom.
    Precisely.
    Live long and prosper.

I was looking at tablets tonight at Best Buy and was again checking out the LGG2

Every time i look at it i like it more and more. the knock feature seemed a bit...well lame. lol 15 minutes of reviewing it again and i must have turned it on and off 50 times. There is a lot to like about the G2 in my opinion
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    I was looking at tablets tonight at Best Buy and was again checking out the LGG2

Every time i look at it i like it more and more. the knock feature seemed a bit...well lame. lol 15 minutes of reviewing it again and i must have turned it on and off 50 times. There is a lot to like about the G2 in my opinion
    I agree, too bad LG is doing a lot of marketing in Europe but seems to throw the towel in USA, I don't know if it is some sort of under the table deal but I still can't understand why would people pay $150 for Galaxy S4 under contract instead of getting G2 unlocker or for $50 under contract during this holiday season, it is an amazing device, and I am totally spoiled by knock on/off feature.
    I have slight stuttering (micro-lag) when scrolling up and down, but I am beginning to see past that and hope that new release of Android will soon fix that

There is something holding this phone back, and I can't quite put my finger on it, otherwise arguably the best phone in the market at this moment.

Global Posts
    6,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by heading4tomorrow View Post
    I agree, too bad LG is doing a lot of marketing in Europe but seems to throw the towel in USA, I don't know if it is some sort of under the table deal but I still can't understand why would people pay $150 for Galaxy S4 under contract instead of getting G2 unlocker or for $50 under contract during this holiday season, it is an amazing device, and I am totally spoiled by knock on/off feature.
    I have slight stuttering (micro-lag) when scrolling up and down, but I am beginning to see past that and hope that new release of Android will soon fix that

There is something holding this phone back, and I can't quite put my finger on it, otherwise arguably the best phone in the market at this moment.
    Some don't like/can't get used to the button arrangement.

ogP
    Live long and prosper.

Some don't like/can't get used to the button arrangement.

ogP
    Maybe it is a personal thing but I rarely find myself using buttons anyway. To turn on and off we don't need button and how often do people adjust the volume?

Sent from my LG-D800
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast