So, how good/bad is the camera, really?

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Little backstory:

I rocked an iPhone 4S for over a year, and loved the camera on it. It was quick, good focus, good good amount of megapixels.

I then switched to a Nexus 4. I love the device all around, but honestly the camera is ATROCIOUS. I cannot for the life of me get a well focused picture of my 16 months old son.

I am now trying to decide between the Nexus 5 and G2. Nexus 5 is said to have an update coming, but that's just promises for now.

How is the G2? I know still pictures are great, but what about action shots/indoor shots/kids shots? Is the shutter fast, or is everything always blurry?

Thanks

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I just switched over from the iPhone 5s. So far I have found the shutter to be slower on this. It was instant on my iPhone, this has a noticeable delay. Picture quality is very good on this, but I still give the edge to the iPhone 5s for clarity.

Sent from my LG-D803 using AC Forums mobile app

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's a cellphone camera. If you need more, buy more.

That being said. It's great in good or better conditions.

Otherwise, it varies.

Posted via Android Central App using an LG G2.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 and the G2 takes great photos. If you buy a Sony QX10, at least from what I hear.
Also having a toddler I'm often ready to throw the G2 out of whatever window is currently available.
Whoever wrote the software thought it was a great idea to increase the shutter speed, relying on OIS to stabilize the camera, it never occurred to them the subject might move, then used so much post processing to reduce "low" light noise photos often look like a watercolor painting.

So to answer your question, the camera is great, in perfect lighting, not so great in other lighting, too little contrast and saturation, and downright horrible under incandescent bulbs.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 and the G2 takes great photos. If you buy a Sony QX10, at least from what I hear.
Also having a toddler I'm often ready to throw the G2 out of whatever window is currently available.
Whoever wrote the software thought it was a great idea to increase the shutter speed, relying on OIS to stabilize the camera, it never occurred to them the subject might move, then used so much post processing to reduce "low" light noise photos often look like a watercolor painting.

So to answer your question, the camera is great, in perfect lighting, not so great in other lighting, too little contrast and saturation, and downright horrible under incandescent bulbs.

Hahaha I have noticed that also. Pics that are taken in lower lighting look like something my 7 year old painted...

Sent from my LG-D803 using AC Forums mobile app

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I've seen people talk about how much faster the shutter is when you change the default mp count. Default is 10mp wide right? Put it on 13 and check speed then.

Posted From My Sprint Nexus S 4G

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people talk about how much faster the shutter is when you change the default mp count. Default is 10mp wide right? Put it on 13 and check speed then.

It's, allegedly, quicker to focus at 13mp.
There's no helping the shutter. Changing the ISO to 800 makes it marginally faster, and grainier, but not enough to help stop a toddler. Outdoors the shutter is fast enough to stop a ball in the air and a dog running. Inside sometimes taking a photo of something perfectly stationary like a label comes out blurred even with OIS. Someone just did a **** poor job with the camera firmware.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Then you need to change the settings for the camera. If you're trying to snap shots of kids you definitely need to put the device in sports mode or burst. Why? Because kids move quickly and the mode on your camera mire needs to be able to capture that. No camera should be used in auto full time. There are many different modes on the device so pick the one that more closely relates to what you are doing. I have taken all kinds of photos with this camera from zero lit rooms to kids and it has performed flawlessly. Bear in mind a perfect shot does not come from snapping one photo of the subject you should always be snapping several of your subject. Experiment with your camera settings and see how the shutter behaves differently depending on what you select. You will enjoy the camera more knowing it's capabilities...good luck!

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Unless we know exactly how these other folks are using their camera. We cannot proclaim this as a solution.

Lighting makes all the difference. Taking photos in dim lit areas will take longer than those taken in a well lit area. To me changing your settings allowing more light into the lens which allows the camera to focus better and more quickly is the answer. Not changing MP's.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
There no helping the shutter. Giving the ISO to 800 makes it marginally faster, and grainier, but not enough to help stop a toddler. Outdoors the shutter is gay enough to stop a ball in the air and a dog running. Inside sometimes taking a photo of something perfectly stationary like a label comes out blurred even with OIS. Someone just did a **** poor job with the camera firmware.

What mode did you use to capture the label? Did you directly focus on the label? Did you try different camera settings? These are important things to know because sometimes it not the camera's fault. We have to use it correctly to get the expected result...I find the G2 to be a nice P&S camera....

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
There no helping the shutter. Giving the ISO to 800 makes it marginally faster, and grainier, but not enough to help stop a toddler. Outdoors the shutter is gay enough to stop a ball in the air and a dog running. Inside sometimes taking a photo of something perfectly stationary like a label comes out blurred even with OIS. Someone just did a **** poor job with the camera firmware.

Also depending on what you're doing ISO speed is crucial....in well lit areas a lower ISO speed is recommended. I would never use 800. That is best for dim lit areas which keeps the lens open LONGER aka slower and introduces more NOISE which will reflect as a grainy photo if not perfectly still....your ISO speed definitely needs to match your environment to get that good shot...

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
What mode did you use to capture the label? Did you directly focus on the label? Did you try different camera settings? These are important things to know because sometimes it not the camera's fault. We have to use it correctly to get the expected result...I find the G2 to be a nice P&S camera....

[rant] Dude! It's a label! Put the f'ing camera in "AI" and hit shutter! If it takes 3 shots something is wrong! It has OIS for Christ's sake! [/rant]

I know how to take photos. I'll put my DROID DNA photos up against SLRs.

The first thing I tried was putting the mode in sports. It actually makes no difference on this phone. I've, and others there's large threads on XDA, changed the settings until a cow actually came home. The F320 has an 11E firmware that made changes to the software settings, not firmware. Even they know it's a problem.

The ISO "trick" it's for low light. And for some odd reason it does actually seem to work. It just shows how janked up the firmware is.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't edit the label in. Here it is:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385825477757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385825477757.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 33

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
[rant] Dude! It's a label! Put the f'ing camera in "AI" and hit shutter! If it takes 3 shots something is wrong! It has OIS for Christ's sake! [/rant]

I know how to take photos. I'll put my DROID DNA photos up against SLRs.

The first thing I tried was putting the mode in sports. It actually makes no difference on this phone. I've, and others there's large threads on XDA, changed the settings until a vote actually came home. The F320 has an 11E firmware that made changes to the software settings, not firmware. Even they know it's a problem.

The ISO "trick" it's for low light. And for some odd reason it does actually seem to work. It just shows how janked up the firmware is.

Dude didn't mean to get you all worked up over a" label"......

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
This is an example of my close-up. I do not use AI...

And here's mine. After tripoding my hand. Again, marginal light.

When everything aligns perfectly it takes good photos. I'm thinking it really hates incandescent lighting. Also attached is a photo taken under fluorescent where everything stopped.

There's no defending the camera. As good as it is under the right conditions it's as bad other times.
I miss shots the DROID DNA wouldn't have flinched at.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385844881540.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385844881540.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385845015801.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385845015801.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 31

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
And here's mine. After tripoding my hand. Again, marginal light.

When everything aligns perfectly it takes good photos. I'm thinking it really hates incandescent lighting. Also attached is a photo taken under fluorescent where everything stopped.

There's no defending the camera. As good as it is under the right conditions it's as bad other times.
I miss shots the DROID DNA wouldn't have flinched at.

Yeah noticeable difference. The second one of the child is an excellent shot.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you the G2 is going to take some excellent shots and then again it's going to take some that will need to be deleted immediately. ...

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The G2 camera is overrated IMO. Especially the Video recording. The audio is just awful, background sounds like the video was taken underwater. Too much noise cancellation and a jumpy auto focus.