Mediaserver battery drain

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is "mediaserver"? Does that have anything to do with video/audio chat like on skype or playing back music on Android? Because I see it used %15 battery and I did not stream anything to or off G2..

I don't see this in Running App list, so maybe it ran for a while then stopped when I did something? I wonder what is using this..

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK mediaserver is like a pic/video indexing process. On my old HTC whenever i added some pics to my phone, mediaserver process would be running and i wasn't able to edit or move the pics until the process had completed in the background. So it appears to be like a indexer for a database.
I think it probably runs when you add new media and also every now and again to keep the database up to data

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK mediaserver is like a pic/video indexing process. On my old HTC whenever i added some pics to my phone, mediaserver process would be running and i wasn't able to edit or move the pics until the process had completed in the background. So it appears to be like a indexer for a database.
I think it probably runs when you add new media and also every now and again to keep the database up to data

Thanks.
It might be time for a reboot and some experiments to see what goes on with that.
Is there anyway to reset battery usage without reboot or recharge?

Sent from my LG-D800

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyway to reset battery usage without reboot or recharge?
Depends what app you use. I use this when i want to see what's going on with the battery (and yes, you can reset it when necessary so you don't need to reboot)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=HOIL1fuk (free)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=Yc5VvJie (paid)
It tells you what processes are using rhe wake lock, what processes run in the foregroung and backgeound, what uses the sensors and so on. Also shows a graph so you can see what's happening when you're not using your phone

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Depends what app you use. I use this when i want to see what's going on with the battery (and yes, you can reset it when necessary so you don't need to reboot)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=ISYJYG-E (free)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro&token=mC1zeJAl (paid)
It tells you what processes are using rhe wake lock, what processes run in the foregroung and backgeound, what uses the sensors and so on. Also shows a graph so you can see what's happening when you're not using your phone
Thanks, I have to start using this and try, it will be very useful if that breaks down by packages not just apps, like Android System has so many packages.

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It gives the processes/packages associated with each app. I suspect mediaserver wil be listed under "android sytem" app

EDIT: ive just hd a look and it does list "media server" amongst the processes so you'll be able to tell how much battery it's using

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Mediaserver has to do with pics, vids, music, and file management, so if you listened to music, watched a movie, did a file transfer, browsed Gallery etc... It will pop up in batt. use.

ANewPlay256

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I used to see a lot of this when I had LG Voice enabled. It went away as soon as I turned it off (and my battery improved a pretty good bit along with it). Obviously, YMMV.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I used to see a lot of this when I had LG Voice enabled. It went away as soon as I turned it off (and my battery improved a pretty good bit along with it). Obviously, YMMV.

I don't use LG voice and it's disabled in mine as well.
But I stream via Bluetooth when I drive so if poster above you is right it might impact that.

Wait, are you referring to voice mate?

Sent from my LG-D800