Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By Just_Some_Nobody
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cheap tempered glass protectors

Recently I've been searching through Ebay for accessories for my D802 and I've found some pretty cheap tempered glass protectors like:
    ebay.com/itm/350944952396 , ebay.com/itm/281185788660?var=580250372052 , , (I don't know if I'm allowed to post links) and some more.

I don't want to spend 30$ for just a protector that's why I'm looking for an alternative. Have anyone tried them and are they worth buying or should I buy some good regular screen protectors for the same money?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12-05-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: OP edited links to get around rules / unshortened links
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Cheap tempered glass protectors

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. IME, its been a pretty consistent rule. I think you'd do just as well to get some GOOD regular dry screen protectors...some using good film, i.e., Japanese PET film or equivalent.
    Live long and prosper.

I am not a fan of these type of screens and they are all way over priced. Last time I applied one (and the only time) it broke while laying it down on the phone ever so silently. Use the dry protectors as Haalcyon mentions above
    Thanked by:

I purchased one of the cheaper ones on ebay and my only complaint is that the edges do not adhere well (due to the g2's slightly curved screen edges). There's a 2mm border all around the edges that is raised. I really do like the look and feel of tempered glass over PET film so this border/edge problem is minor to me.

I see no reason to get a screen protector for this (or any newer smartphone.)

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    I see no reason to get a screen protector for this (or any newer smartphone.)
    I think if you should ever get a scratch on your screen you may change your mind on that. As I've said before, Gorilla Glass isn't scratch proof. All it takes is a grain of sand to lay a nice long tatoo on your screen. ...been there, done that.

g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.

tsells likes this.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I'll say this about tempered glass screen protector, once it drops and a crack on glass your gunna need to change it cause they spread fairly quick. Went to movies and sat down and dropped it and I got cracks going all over the protector. I would say look for cheap ones.

I think (but could be wrong) that most scratches on phones are not the glass being scratched rather than the coating on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I think if you should ever get a scratch on your screen you may change your mind on that. As I've said before, Gorilla Glass isn't scratch proof. All it takes is a grain of sand to lay a nice long tatoo on your screen. ...been there, done that.

g2 cm10.2

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by mount.zed View Post
    I think (but could be wrong) that most scratches on phones are not the glass being scratched rather than the coating on the glass.
    If it looks and acts like a scratch on the screen ...its a scratch on the screen in my book. I'd rather it be on the easily replaceable screen protector if it insists on being there at all. That may be just my need for purity.

g2 cm10.2
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by mount.zed View Post
    But when it comes to a screen that I am looking at day in and day out, a scratch is a scratch.
    Haalcyon likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Would that mean I should try and buy one of these because I think it would also protect my display from breaking if I ever drop it that's the main reason I'm looking for that kind of a protector and does anybody know if the glass would fit on a SpigenSGP case

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanakii View Post
    Would that mean I should try and buy one of these because I think it would also protect my display from breaking if I ever drop it that's the main reason I'm looking for that kind of a protector and does anybody know if the glass would fit on a SpigenSGP case
    I think a Zagg Invisible Shield would fit your needs quite well.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.