1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default home screen and widget questions

Hi All
    Thanks so much for your help with my new g2 on day three so far so good. Two questions please.

1. I have added some blank home screens that I want to keep bare for my live wallpapers, but it says on it, "Touch and hold this screen to add more apps or widgets" is there anyway to get that saying from showing?
    2. Is there anyway to get the stock weather widget to update by itself, it will only update manually?

Again, thanks so much

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts

Default Re: home screen and widget questions

I believe that you need to have location services on in order for the weather widget to update itself. Do you currently have location services off? If so, easy enough to test if that is what drives the weather updates to update automatically or not.

Not sure about the empty screens but you can also pinch out from any screen to see your wallpaper I believe.
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G2 D-803 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I will check on notifications. But sure wish someone knew a way to get rid of that message on the blank home screens. I may have to get a third-party launcher which I did not want to do if I don't have to. I did know about the pinch out, but that goes away after the phone shuts down
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

"1. I have added some blank home screens that I want to keep bare for my live wallpapers, but it says on it, "Touch and hold this screen to add more apps or widgets" is there anyway to get that saying from showing? "

Could someone post as to whether you get this message on a blank screen using Nova Launcher or any other 3rd party launcher?
    Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you're wanting to achieve. To clarify when you say the following, what would you want to happen instead?
    Touch and hold this screen to add more apps or widgets" is there anyway to get that saying from showing?

If you want to add a live wallpaper on a specific screen, just click on the screen and select "wallpapers"(the 3rd tab of the 3 on the bottom), Then scroll horizontally to the "LIve wallapapers" and add the one you want.
    If you're wanting to add a different wallpaper or live wallpaper to different screens, then select "multi photo" rather than "live wallapapers"

Could someone post as to whether you get this message on a blank screen using Nova Launcher or any other 3rd party launcher?
    Thanks
    In apex it gives me the option to add a widget, or apps, shortcuts, or wallpapers
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Sorry I can't communicate this well. I'll try again. When I add an extra blank home screen [one that does not have widgets or app icons on it], the blank screen has written in the middle the following statement: "Touch and hold this screen to add more apps or widgets" I want to know if there is a way to delete that saying from the screen. If not, does Nova Launcher do the same thing, or when you add an extra blank home screen is it just a blank screen or does it also have that statement written on it. Hope this is clearer.

Hmm.. that's funny. I don't get that statement on blank page(s). Btw, my set is D802.

I want to know if there is a way to delete that saying from the screen.
    Not that i'm aware of.

I don't know about Nova launcher. Sorry

I have 5 screens, three of them are empty (including the home screen) amd none of them give me the text you are talking about. By the way I'm on Verizon.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks all. I am with ATT and so it must come with it. If anyone is with ATT have you found away to delete this or do you have a third party launcher and does it do it with that?
    Here is a pic of what I have on blank home screen. See, that horrible statement in the middle. That is what I want to get rid of.

home screen and widget questions-home-page.jpg

Maybe if you add a widget or live wallpaper to it it will disappear. And get rid of the screens that you don't want to put anything on.

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts

My new app idea: "Blank Transparent Widget" (TM) by Klotar!

Does absolutely nothing except take up a 1x1 app/widget on the desktop.

Bonus Feature: prevents Knock On from working on LG G2's in the spot where the widget is placed.

OMG, I could be riiiiiich! /grin

Okay okay... on a more serious note, I added a new screen on Nova Launcher and it does not have any text displayed. You can still see the notification bar, dock (this can be disabled) and the Front Touch Buttons (Settings/Home/Back).
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G2 D-803 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by RobotHeaven View Post
    Maybe if you add a widget or live wallpaper to it it will disappear. And get rid of the screens that you don't want to put anything on.
    I will try a live wallpaper from the gp store and see. Thanks

Just downloaded a live Christmas screen saver and that saying is still there. I guess I need Nova
    Last edited by techie5; 12-20-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by techie5 View Post
    I will try a live wallpaper from the gp store and see. Thanks

Just downloaded a live Christmas screen saver and that saying is still there. I guess I need Nova
    Hmm i guess it must just apply to widgets then

As for Nova, i would recommend Apex over Nova if your priority is control over the homescreen. There isn't really that much difference between the 2, but one of the main reasons at the time i picked Apex was that when you choose a wallpaper, Nova always assumes that the wallpaper is to be stretched horizontally over several screens (or at least i couldn't find any setting that prevented this from happening anyway). Apex doesn't and gives you more control.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Thanks I'll check it out