"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

surfdirector

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Okay there's no delete button for my post? Changed the text so I can repost my original comment (without duplicating) under the commenter that had the fix for me.

surfdirector

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Made an account to thank you.... Wow man I was ready to buy a new cell phone I was getting so pissed. Thanks to your post I realized it's a Windows 8 thing. Thanks again mate!

Wojciech Banas

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem (The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected) error in Win 8.1. I have dual boot with Linux and it did not want to copy there either. I tried a DIFFERENT CABLE and it worked no problem, THANKS!!

Jarrod Landreth

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Petr Gangnus got me started. You do want to go to Apps->Settings->About phone->Tap build number until it says you are now a developer (about 6 taps). Then hit back and go to Developer Options->Check mark USB Debugging. Now usb connect your Galaxy S5 to your PC and you will at least be able to drag and drop music to the music folder. Haven't tried anything else so I can't say anything else will work.

samantha1129

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I fixed it everyone. Go into your settings, about device, and tap build number 7 times to turn on developer options. Then, back out and go back in settings. You will see a menu for developer options that wasn't there before. Check the Stay Awake toggle, and most importantly check the USB debugging toggle. Now try to transfer your files. If Windows asks if you want to convert your files to a format which will work on your device (recommended) go ahead and do that. Your file should transfer no problem.

gexzhell

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It is the extension, i tried to copy zip and it works after changing it to txt.
and i can still change the file name to zip after copying.

Osian Walters

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Loose connection on the phone end solved it for me. use a toothpick or cocktail stick to gently lever the tongue up on the phone, reconnect and you're away :D

felipehso

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
This is what worked for me!

Would like to thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me.
Tried to change extension, rename file, removed lock pass and debug mode was on. Want to leave my two cents for what worked for me.
Just changed the USB port from 3.0 to 2.0. I dont know, but maybe there's some kind of error on USB 3.0.

LOKI_88

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I Was trying to transfer video from my nexus 5 to my pc. It would work once and then error. I Switched the cable from an extra samsung cable to the one that came with the phone and now no problem.

Muilisx

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to copy few music files to default Music folder in the internal memory and was getting the same error. So I created new folder and copied the files... and it worked! Seems like Android copying certain types of files to the default folders. Hope this helps.

You sir are a life saver! I made a new folder called Songs, and deleted the stock Music folder. Everything copied with no issues, and then I renamed my Songs folder to Music :)

Kulero

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the files you want to copy aren't open in an application on the computer. Many applications (e.g. Office apps) lock files while they're open, resulting in this exact error (rather than something more intuitive, unfortunately). Some applications don't unlock the files even after you close them, so if you can't copy a file which you had open but closed, completely close down the application in which it was opened.