Poor G2 sales blamed on the Nexus 5 and rumors of the G3 specs. Discuss.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I would say its poor advertising... They mostly focus on the back buttons which is awesome for me but for most people its a turn off. they should focus more of the Camera because everyone wants a great camera and maybe not back buttons... I'm like the only one in my school (around 4000 students) that has an LG G2. Some of them never heard of it and are so surprised about the back buttons. A Few of my friends regret getting the S4 and wanted to switch to the G2. thats just my opinion

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree...even better to put the buttons on the sides then focus on great camera and fast processor.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

4mynikka

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
They should have also focused on the screen quality and battery, top two on consumers lists these days. I've owned every high end phone out right now except for the Xperia ultra z and the moto x and the G2 is the most rounded and is the best at what it does.

The only thing I wish they did was take their time refining the OS, lots of great features and I think the next update will iron out some of the wrinkles.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Since it's only been around a few months, 2 million units sold isn't terrible. Especially with the lackluster ad campaign, carriers not featuring the device (compared to iPhone & Samsung), and some harsh reviews (mostly due to back button & UI).

And I don't see how the Nexus 5 could be blamed for the relatively low sales of the G2. The N5 is more difficult to purchase and is produced with a very small percentage of the smartphone market in mind.

Posted via Android Central App

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the problem with the ui...I mean it doesn't lag touchwiz and if u don't like the lg ui throw in a custom launcher ..I have apex launcher and it feels like stock android..only difference is the drop down. But at least its useful..only unnecessary thing is the confusing gear icon for me..

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the lack of advertising, and its the same for the G Pad, thats also an awesome device, but most peope have never even heard of it. Here in the UK, its all about Apple and Samsung, LG doesnt get much of a look in, which is a shame, as they have really upped their game with
their latest devices. I imported my G2 from HK as the 32gb version isnt available here, and coming from an S4, im really happy with it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what the Nexus has to do with it, really, because it's not mass marketed. The G2 hasn't been out for that long as has been mentioned above. So there's still plenty of time to sell it. Their TV ad campaign focused on the camera. Their ads should also focus on the battery life, screen, and power of the G2.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since it isn't selling great, I think Sprint should cut their price to $0.99 . That way I'll save a lot of cash when I'm helping LG inflate their sales numbers by 2 units this coming Thursday. 😉

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Like previously mentioned, the low sales are most of all due to the bad advertising campaign...
I mean it was pretty ridiculous what went on there... I have an LG G2 and I know the back buttons are a very nice add-on, but still people are always afraid of the unknown, so LG shouldn't have focused their campaign on it! If they would've focused on the really amazing battery life and excellent screen, processor and camera, they would've taken a real share... but sadly LG proved their still amateurs in the field of the Big Ones... hopefully to improve with the G3!

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Even if it isn't selling well, it will have done wonders for LGs reputation. And that can only help future sales

I would agree with the G2 not selling as wel as it should due to the nexus 5. It's just unfortunate that the G2 is not seen as being unique, but more as a more expesnive version of the super-good-value-for-money nexus

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Even if it isn't selling well, it will have done wonders for LGs reputation. And that can only help future sales

I would agree with the G2 not selling as wel as it should due to the nexus 5. It's just unfortunate that the G2 is not seen as being unique, but more as a more expesnive version of the super-good-value-for-money nexus

I don't agree....
I think the LG G2 and the Nexus 5 are each unique in their own way...
While the Nexus 5 has Vanilla Android, and is mainly regarded as Google's show-off phone for their new operating system, the G2 hardly resembles it look-wise, and once you get into the phone they're certainly very different...
I don't think the Nexus 5 made a dent in the G2's sales, perhaps even the opposite, it helped build LG's reputation and though got them more costumers... but that's my own personal opinion, you might think differently. Interesting idea though.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what the Nexus has to do with it, really, because it's not mass marketed. The G2 hasn't been out for that long as has been mentioned above. So there's still plenty of time to sell it. Their TV ad campaign focused on the camera. Their ads should also focus on the battery life, screen, and power of the G2.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

+1 I dont see what Nexus has to do with it... nexus buyers are the one who like pure Android and its not like they only have a choice between G2 and Nexus 5

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
This is my take. I recently switched from Verizon, using a Galaxy S3. I wanted to give T Mobile a try and read reams of info about the G2. I thought having a Nexus 5 with hardware near the level of the G2, along with speedy Android updates. Do I need to have 4.4 ASAP or any other hyped up update that has me chomping at the bit??? Nope. There is no comparison between the G2 and Nexus 5, and for how I use my device, it was a G2 slam dunk! I just said no to GS4, Note 3 (far too many hardware and software issues with Samsung) and if any thinking person looking for the best smartphone on the market, they would have came to a similar conclusion as I did. These companies have to impress me on individual merit, and LG simply did not yell loud enough from the rooftops as to how remarkable their handset is. BTW, T Mobile in Pittsburgh blows Verizon out of the water, is saving me 20.00 per month and than includes my payment on the G2...go figure! If you are looking to upgrade and own a Samsung, HTC or anything else out there, run, don't walk and get your G2 now!

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the slow sells figures are because of the up front price of $200 there's only two phones that folks are willing to part with that kind of Jack one is Samsung and the other is iPhone let's face it i have the LG pro and it didn't start to move until they drop the price then they started flying off the shelf the other brands just need to understand that

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the slow sells figures are because of the up front price of $200 there's only two phones that folks are willing to part with that kind of Jack one is Samsung and the other is iPhone let's face it i have the LG pro and it didn't start to move until they drop the price then they started flying off the shelf the other brands just need to understand that

The G2 has been at $49 for the past month or so (with a new 2 year contract) with most of the US carriers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As much as g2 owners love the buttons on the back most of us hate them. They are especially bad in the Verizon model because there is no tactile difference between them.

I also one of those who likes videos and apps to take up the entire screen so I prefer capacitive keys to the far more popular Nexus style.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Mmm-kay.
So we will count that as one against.
The button placement, in my humble opinion, is a brave one and it was the only way to get the smaller bezel/bigger screen without making the phone itself Note 3 like.
And by that, I mean like a tablet. :)
Again, we all have opinions on stuff, so to each their own.

Anyway, I agree the perception that the Verizon button detents seems to affect the entire line and hope that does not deter interested parties from checking out this great phone.

Keep up the discussion.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

Last edited:

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't care about the buttons either way. I rarely ever use them. With knock on, knock off, there's really no need to. Except to change in call volume or maybe snap a pic, in which case the button placement makes perfect sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci