Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2 causing internet dropping connection

Hello yall
    So i got my new lg g2 on the 26 December, since then im experiencing every sort of problem with my home network connection, when ever i use my wifi on the phone it stays on for about 15-30mins and then router loses connection completely even the landline phone ring tune goes off and every other device that is using internet wether its wired or wireless ( ipad, laptop and ubuntu computer ) i came to the conclusion that it is my phone because i stayed yesterday with the wifi off on the phone but on in the other devices and no problem, internet was ok the whole day, and did the same test off on other gadgets and only my phone on and again router loses connection.
    I have researched this issue and it seemed that the problem comes from the router people reported a new firmware on the D-link router was available and that solved the problem, but i have EE ADSL Bright Box router and it doesn't seem there is a new firmware to improve compatibility with LG G2.
    I tried changing wifi channel, tried using intelligent wireless tried switching off firewall on router, tried changing lease time on DHCP duration, noise margin average is 5, no system log errors found, im frustrated tired and disappointed cuz now i questioning what was all the hype for this phone.
    Please help me out its horrible to have to reconnect every single device in the house.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-18-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Default Re: Lg g2 causing internet dropping connection

Was having the same problem. Tracked it down to drop box and google+ trying to upload my pictures at the same time. I went into the settings in the apps and changed it to either upload when connected to the charger/WiFi only or manual upload.

Back to speedy home WiFi again.

David
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So you think its the router?
    But that cannot be cuz this is my second router EE sent me, no?

No, I don't think its the router.

In my case, my phone was trying to upload an awful lot of pictures to both my google+ account and drop box at the same time. It slowed my home network connection to a crawl.

Check to see if you have any apps set to sync pictures/videos such as Google+, DropBox, Box, PhotoBucket, etc. If you do then turn off the photo sync feature and see of that helps your wifi/network connection in your home.

David

Global Posts
    7,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Op, try disabling the automatic uploads for any service you have as suggested by TNCattleDog. Otherwise, have you tried to reset your router and see if that fixes the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Op, try disabling the automatic uploads for any service you have as suggested by TNCattleDog. Otherwise, have you tried to reset your router and see if that fixes the problem?

I reset the router so far have been connected for about an hour and a half and no interruptions finger crossed
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

i stand corrected, after 2h my first drop out, ppl are suggesting is not the phone is the routers, other say is the jelly bean, this is impossible... im so frustrated

Global Posts
    7,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by karimito View Post
    i stand corrected, after 2h my first drop out, ppl are suggesting is not the phone is the routers, other say is the jelly bean, this is impossible... im so frustrated
    On you phone go into Settings > Wifi > Menus (press menu) > Advanced > check always on. This should keep the connection sbetween your device to your WiFi without dropping it. Hope that helps.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

On you phone go into Settings > Wifi > Menus (press menu) > Advanced > check always on. This should keep the connection sbetween your device to your WiFi without dropping it. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for ur suggestions.
    It seems that i fixed it by greating a new ssid on the router 24h passed and only 2 drop outs from the router

Global Posts
    7,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Thanks for ur suggestions.
    It seems that i fixed it by greating a new ssid on the router 24h passed and only 2 drop outs from the router
    That's good to hear. Although the issue is not 100% fixed, seems to be something manageable for you (hopefully).

Hello yall
    So i got my new lg g2 on the 26 December, since then im experiencing every sort of problem with my home network connection, when ever i use my wifi on the phone it stays on for about 15-30mins and then router loses connection completely even the landline phone ring tune goes off and every other device that is using internet wether its wired or wireless ( ipad, laptop and ubuntu computer ) i came to the conclusion that it is my phone because i stayed yesterday with the wifi off on the phone but on in the other devices and no problem, internet was ok the whole day, and did the same test off on other gadgets and only my phone on and again router loses connection.
    I have researched this issue and it seemed that the problem comes from the router people reported a new firmware on the D-link router was available and that solved the problem, but i have EE ADSL Bright Box router and it doesn't seem there is a new firmware to improve compatibility with LG G2.
    I tried changing wifi channel, tried using intelligent wireless tried switching off firewall on router, tried changing lease time on DHCP duration, noise margin average is 5, no system log errors found, im frustrated tired and disappointed cuz now i questioning what was all the hype for this phone.
    Please help me out its horrible to have to reconnect every single device in the house.
    Hi, I too have a LG G2, received 27/12, I too have an EE bright box, I too have the exact same issue!!

If my wifi on my phone is on, the internet in the house goes off completely, I've had 2 BT engineers advise it was REIN from my skybox, but I removed this so it wasnt, Ive tested wifi on my phone , on, and the connections drops 30 mins after being on, switching my wifi on my phone and issues goes!!

Defo something on the phone, havent the foggiest what it is though!

I joined this forum to share what all I had to do to get my LG G2 (Verizon) to connect to our router. We have an old DLink router but I refused to accept it wouldn't connect. My husband amd I got the phones at the exact same time and for some reason his would connect to the WiFi at our house and mine wouldn't. Both phones would connect to WiFi networks elsewhere.

I'm an absolute knob when it comes to technology so reading a few forums I troubleshooted some settings and found that if I changed the DLink settings to:

WPA Settings: WPA2 (only!)
    Cipher: TKIP (only!)

I hope someone is saved some time with this.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts

Throwing this out there in case it helps the odd person. I noticed that the G2 (or Android, w/e) does not seem to like SSID's with spaces in the name. Now that said, sometimes it sees them and sometimes it doesn't (when scanning), but I have a guest network in addition to my regular network and found that my G2 could not see the guest network (both are operating at 5 GHZ on my dual band router). Fortunately, I did not spend a lot of time on it and changed my guest network's SSID to have an underscore between words (e.g. Networkname Guest -> Networkname_Guest) and now it was visible 100% of the time. This never bothered me because I don't connect to my Guest network with any of my devices so I didn't notice right away (nor do I have that many guests, lol).

The problem was that SOMETIMES I could see my guest network, but it wasn't a broadcast issue (I am set to transmit SSID's and not hide them). I wonder if I had connected, would I lose connectivity or have issues? I removed my guest network entirely as I wasn't really using it, so can't test right now without setting it up again. Anyways, just posting on the offchance that one more thing to try is to remove spaces in the SSID if all else fails and you do have an SSID with spaces in it. I do connect to networks with spaces in them (like at coffee shops, etc.) too but I usually am not there long enough to find out if I have a real issue or not.
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G2 D-803 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless

Testing now thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porcelina4 View Post
    I joined this forum to share what all I had to do to get my LG G2 (Verizon) to connect to our router. We have an old DLink router but I refused to accept it wouldn't connect. My husband amd I got the phones at the exact same time and for some reason his would connect to the WiFi at our house and mine wouldn't. Both phones would connect to WiFi networks elsewhere.

I'm an absolute knob when it comes to technology so reading a few forums I troubleshooted some settings and found that if I changed the DLink settings to:

WPA Settings: WPA2 (only!)
    Cipher: TKIP (only!)

I hope someone is saved some time with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Melia View Post
    Testing now thanks
    Nope, no joy, still kills all connections in the house either networked or on wifi.

Default Re: LG G2 causing internet dropping connection

Hi, sorry but I can't help, but will say that I also have a LG G2 and an EE brightbox suffering with the same problems. Tried everything here with no luck. EE have been no help - they just get me to change channel on the router or tell me there is something wrong with my phone, but it works fine on other networks? I will be changing internet provider soon and will make sure I get a new router at the same time. Until then I will stay on data as my family are tired of reseting the router every 15 mins.

Wish i could help, bit I've been having network problems with my G2 as well.

I have no problem with my home network, but about a week ago I started having problems connecting to my work's secure wifi network. For some reason i get a wrong password message when configuring the settings (I know it's not), for some reason though I can still connect to my works unsecured network.

This has been an issue for me as well, only at work on a Dlink router. Updated the firmware, to no avail. I will try resetting but I don't want to change SSID because that would effect many others. It's especially troubling because I use one note and it will not sync without a steady connection. Mine seems to drop about every 10 to 20 seconds and then eventually comes back. If I try to run a speed test it never completes the test. This is frustrating. If anyone has a solution, please post. Thanks.

Problem came back
    Last edited by mbrewzer; 02-18-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Update. Swapped provider from ee to plusnet. They sent me a new router and they were a little cheaper. Best thing is that the wifi hasn't dropped once in 8 days. Never going back to ee.
    Last edited by striderwilson; 02-24-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I have got same issue on EE BrightBox. When I use my old TalkTalk router all is OK. So it is BrightBox and it drops connection only when G2 coming up online.

Sorry for my bad English. I found a solution to the problem at its LG G2 Verizon. WiFi reconnected my phone when I was searching for a cell network. Remove your SIM card and test your WiFi connection.