Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2 - Setting "Default" numbers for SMS

Hi,

I am new to Android. I am able to set the default no for the contacts to call them. But I am unable to do the same for sending SMS.

How do I set the default no. against each contact for SMS ? (otherwise all the contact nos are shown in the send field inside messaging)

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Default Re: LG G2 - Setting "Default" numbers for SMS

Quote Originally Posted by Vidyaprakash View Post
    Hi,

I am new to Android. I am able to set the default no for the contacts to call them. But I am unable to do the same for sending SMS.

How do I set the default no. against each contact for SMS ? (otherwise all the contact nos are shown in the send field inside messaging)
    Open the desired contact , click Edit and it should give you option to set default for Call/SMS. You have to have 2+ numbers for the contact ...
    Current Devices : Motorola G 16GB
    Past devices :Sony Xperia SP C5303 LTE,S3 GT-I9305,S4 mini GT-I9195, N7100,HTC One (M7),Galaxy S3, HTC One S, HTC One X (S720e), Nexus Prime - HTC Pyramid - Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S II - HTC Desire S - HTC Desire HD - HTC Desire Z - HTC HD2 - HTC Topaz - HTC Touch HD - HTC Touch Pro - HTC Diamond.

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts

You are right that when composing a new text message, that you are presented with all the associated numbers. However, that only happens when composing a new text message. If you instead open an existing conversation and send a new message, it will send it to the same number you used last time.

Or do you always delete previous text messages to keep your Messaging inbox clean...?

That said, I do realize also that when sharing from another application (e.g. browser) as a text message, that the Messaging app does not consider that you may already have a conversation open with your intended recipient but I believe that's an Android limitation rather than an G2 Messaging limitation.

To partially get around this, I only have one number set as Mobile per contact (and I set it FIRST in their contact record), if they have more than one mobile number, I set a custom name for the field (using CUSTOM) and set it as something like "Mobile-Work" to avoid confusion with any other numbers. Not perfect but works for me.
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G2 D-803 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aspot72 View Post
    Open the desired contact , click Edit and it should give you option to set default for Call/SMS. You have to have 2+ numbers for the contact ...
    Dang, replied too fast (or too slow, depending!). I didn't know that, cool!
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G2 D-803 | Android 4.4.2 | Rogers Wireless

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Cool Re: LG G2 - Setting "Default" numbers for SMS

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
    Dang, replied too fast (or too slow, depending!). I didn't know that, cool!
    Both ... LOL
    Current Devices : Motorola G 16GB
    Past devices :Sony Xperia SP C5303 LTE,S3 GT-I9305,S4 mini GT-I9195, N7100,HTC One (M7),Galaxy S3, HTC One S, HTC One X (S720e), Nexus Prime - HTC Pyramid - Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S II - HTC Desire S - HTC Desire HD - HTC Desire Z - HTC HD2 - HTC Topaz - HTC Touch HD - HTC Touch Pro - HTC Diamond.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

@aspot72 :

Thanks for the reply. However I am able to set the default only for the calls & not for the SMS.
    Simply - there is no option for that !!!