Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SactoKingsFan
  • 1 Post By djr7572
  • 2 Post By Scott Kamp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How does 'disabling' apps work for bloatware, and is it safe?

How safe is it to disable the bloatware on the G2 (or any Android device for that matter)? I realize that, without root, you can't "freeze" apps or completely uninstall them, but it does look like you can disable them under Settings. I haven't done this to any of my bloatware yet, though. What happens to these apps when you disable them in Settings? Does it make them disappear from the app drawer, or are we stuck looking at them no matter what? I have no interest in rooting my phone, but I'd love to do whatever I can to get that stuff out of my way. Right now I just have it all sitting in a folder so I don't have to see it. So, I guess more specifically, what will happen when you disable the app, and is it safe for your phone? I remember getting warnings on my Verizon Moto X when I went to click disable - it would warn me that by "disabling this app could make other apps misbehave". Is that just a bluff on the part of the carrier to scare you into not deleting their crapware?

Thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: How does 'disabling' apps work for bloatware, and is it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by djr7572 View Post
    How safe is it to disable the bloatware on the G2 (or any Android device for that matter)? I realize that, without root, you can't "freeze" apps or completely uninstall them, but it does look like you can disable them under Settings. I haven't done this to any of my bloatware yet, though. What happens to these apps when you disable them in Settings? Does it make them disappear from the app drawer, or are we stuck looking at them no matter what? I have no interest in rooting my phone, but I'd love to do whatever I can to get that stuff out of my way. Right now I just have it all sitting in a folder so I don't have to see it. So, I guess more specifically, what will happen when you disable the app, and is it safe for your phone? I remember getting warnings on my Verizon Moto X when I went to click disable - it would warn me that by "disabling this app could make other apps misbehave". Is that just a bluff on the part of the carrier to scare you into not deleting their crapware?

Thanks
    Well, i don't think disabling apps could make other apps misbehave, it is just are bluff on the part of the carrier to scare you !!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,829 Global Posts

Check this out: Everything you wanted to know about disabling apps on your Android | Android Central

Disabling the apps prevents the apps -- and any related components that were installed with the same package -- from running or being called by any other running processes. So, if a feature of app X relies on a component of app Y, and you disable app Y, that feature in app X may end up crashing. This isn't really an issue with most apps, but any apps that ship with the device are more likely to have tie-ins with other apps or system components. It will remove icons from the homescreen as well as the app drawer, and the app in question will be shown at the bottom of the Settings > Apps list, alongside any other disabled apps.

Having said all that, it's fine to disable most of the bloatware for which you are provided the option to. If you notice things behaving oddly or force-closing, go back and try to figure out which disabled app is causing the issue, and reevaluate whether you can have it disabled.

When you disable an app it will be hidden from the app drawer. Disabling bloatware should not cause any issues. I've disabled and/or removed all the carrier bloat and everything still works fine.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Is there a list of boatware apps, so I know what is safe to uninstall from the G2?

New G2 owner here, and I'm seeing more crap than I've had on my previous HTC EVOs. Different file managers and multiple task managers, etc.

http://www.andromods.com/apps-mod/ho...to-delete.html

Pretty much all the carrier bloatware is safe to freeze or remove. I've done so on AT&T G2 and have had no issues.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk
    nerdnificent and tsells like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    Check this out: Everything you wanted to know about disabling apps on your Android | Android Central

Disabling the apps prevents the apps -- and any related components that were installed with the same package -- from running or being called by any other running processes. So, if a feature of app X relies on a component of app Y, and you disable app Y, that feature in app X may end up crashing. This isn't really an issue with most apps, but any apps that ship with the device are more likely to have tie-ins with other apps or system components. It will remove icons from the homescreen as well as the app drawer, and the app in question will be shown at the bottom of the Settings > Apps list, alongside any other disabled apps.

Having said all that, it's fine to disable most of the bloatware for which you are provided the option to. If you notice things behaving oddly or force-closing, go back and try to figure out which disabled app is causing the issue, and reevaluate whether you can have it disabled.
    Very helpful, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everybody!

This is the very first thing I do with ANY phone. I go through the app manager and disable everything that I won't use. If i'm not sure what it is just yet, I leave it alone. I absolutely hate clutter. In fact my app drawer is only one page :-D
    djr7572 and nerdnificent like this.

I'm with you there, I get rid of all that useless (to me) crap as soon as I get a new device. And man, 1 page? Sounds like you really cleaned house, haha. And I can relate to Mike, I got my G2 a few weeks ago as a replacement for my LTEVO. The differences in HTC's flavor of Android and LG's are VERY noticeable. This thread is great.