Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't OTA update with stock firmware. Bootloop issue.

I have a rooted LG G2. When I try to get my OTA update with stock rom (I haven't installed any other roms) it says "installing and restarting phone" and then the phone restarts to clock work mod and gets stuck in a CWM bootloop. In order to get the phone to boot into my OS again, I need to type some code into ADB and then it boots to my OS with no data loss but the update isn't applied and I keep getting update prompts. I've tried unrooting and updating and that doesn't work either. What the hell is going on? This makes no sense at all.

I'm with Bell Canada. Please help me fix this.

Thanks.

Default Re: Can't OTA update with stock firmware. Bootloop issue.

To get an OTA you have to reinstall the stock recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm a noob. How does one install stock recovery? You mean factory reset the phone? Then do I update and bring back my nandroid backup or something?

Quote Originally Posted by cptn_smelly View Post
    I'm a noob. How does one install stock recovery? You mean factory reset the phone? Then do I update and bring back my nandroid backup or something?
    To be honest my g2 is the only phone I have not rooted so l am unsure of the exact process to flash the stock recovery. I'm am not sure if you will be able to obtain root again with the OTA you are going to take. Hopefully someone can chime in with a method for you. Resetting the phone will not get rid of cwm recovery. The only way the update package will work is with the stock recovery, unless you can find the update in a flashable zip or sideload it but I'm not sure you will keep root in the process.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by rackumrack View Post
    To be honest my g2 is the only phone I have not rooted so l am unsure of the exact process to flash the stock recovery. I'm am not sure if you will be able to obtain root again with the OTA you are going to take. Hopefully someone can chime in with a method for you. Resetting the phone will not get rid of cwm recovery. The only way the update package will work is with the stock recovery, unless you can find the update in a flashable zip or sideload it but I'm not sure you will keep root in the process.

Thanks. I'm looking for the update now... hopefully somebody else has another answer... I may end up changing my rom to LG Flex Rom. At least then I get OTA.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

bump. No suggestions?

You must have frozen software update. I defrosted it just to check and the software update is now visible in about phone.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Not sure what you mean... Frozen software update? What is that and how do I fix it?

Software update will usually be visible in all apps or manage apps. If it's been disabled/frozen it will be hidden from about phone, all apps, and manage apps. You will need to use Titanium Backup or ROM toolbox to unfreeze software update.

As previously mentioned, you can't install the OTA if you still have custom recovery. Any attempts to do so may brick the phone (xda forums for more details). There should be an xda forum on how to get stock recovery back.

You may be better off just flashing a custom ROM or using Xposed to change the UI. Less of a hassle than trying to update.

Last edited by SactoKingsFan; 01-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.

There you go.. This will give you all you need to know:

LG G2 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Stock) - xda-developers

Good luck