Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2: How bad is the UI really?

I am using an HTC One and have been thinking about the G2 for a little bigger screen, however most of the reviews and my own brief time playing with the UI seem to suggest that it is "bloated" and full of junk. Anyone have an opinion or is anyone using a third party launcher to solve the cluttered UI issue? If so, does it slow down your experience?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-26-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: How bad is the UI really?

Quote Originally Posted by IdemanEric View Post
    I am using an HTC One and have been thinking about the G2 for a little bigger screen, however most of the reviews and my own brief time playing with the UI seem to suggest that it is "bloated" and full of junk. Anyone have an opinion or is anyone using a third party launcher to solve the cluttered UI issue? If so, does it slow down your experience?
    It's similar to Samsung's TouchWiz, but with a different color scheme.
    Most people just use a launcher to cover up the home screens and app drawer. It shouldn't slow anything down

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Better than touch wiz imo. Liking this thing way better than my Note 3 or S4. Screen ans battery are awesome!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    ffejjj and gummyjelly like this.

I switched from an EVO LTE about a week ago and the UI is probably the worst part about the phone. Not that the phone is actually suffers performance wise from it, but there are just so many things that are changed and different coming from Sense, that feels so awkward. Like the fact you can't long press the home button to bring up Google Now (press and swipe up from the home button), or the fact that the Menu button is actually on the bottom navigation bar, it makes it really odd when in apps.

Otherwise it's a great phone.

I also think the LG skin is better than TouchWiz. Not quite as bloated and looks nicer. And most of the things people complain about (notification area, status bar, bloatware, lack of recent soft key, etc.) can be easily modified if you end up rooting the phone.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by mike31082 View Post
    I switched from an EVO LTE about a week ago and the UI is probably the worst part about the phone. Not that the phone is actually suffers performance wise from it, but there are just so many things that are changed and different coming from Sense, that feels so awkward. Like the fact you can't long press the home button to bring up Google Now (press and swipe up from the home button), or the fact that the Menu button is actually on the bottom navigation bar, it makes it really odd when in apps.

Otherwise it's a great phone.
    That doesn't make it odd, that makes it different. Menu button, and swiping up from home to get GNow is like that on stock android. So it's really the HTC phones that Barr odd

Thanked by:
    Mikey47 and Jastow like this.

Former HTC ONE owner, current phone LG G2 stock on AT&T. I use Holo Launcher HD on my LG G2, by far the fastest launcher on a SpeedDragon 800 processor.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by emilioaponte View Post
    Former HTC ONE owner, current phone LG G2 stock on AT&T. I use Holo Launcher HD on my LG G2, by far the fastest launcher on a SpeedDragon 800 processor.

Just for future reference. It's SnapDragon 800

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Just for future reference. It's SnapDragon 800

You're right and and this SnapDragon 800 is pure speed. Go for the G2 it's a great phone.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

You're right and and this SnapDragon 800 is pure speed. Go for the G2 it's a great phone.

I'm assuming that was meant for OP
    I already have a phone. Only has the SD600

That means another version of the G2 or the 16 GB Memory Storage ?

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

That means another version of the G2 or the 16 GB Memory Storage ?

That means it's not a G2. Its the S4

That means it's not a G2. Its the S4

Ok, I see, you know I used to be a Blackberry Bold fan, 9700, 9780, 9800 and 9900 then I go for Android; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE and now the G2. Maybe this year I'am going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 or just buy the LG G3. I'am going to read very carefully about those two. No more HTC for me.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Ok, I see, you know I used to be a Blackberry Bold fan, 9700, 9780, 9800 and 9900 then I go for Android; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE and now the G2. Maybe this year I'am going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S5 or just buy the LG G3. I'am going to read very carefully about those two. No more HTC for me.

And no more Samsung for me. I love this phone, but I'd much rather have stock android out of the box. I'm sticking with Moto or the nexus line from now on

And no more Samsung for me. I love this phone, but I'd much rather have stock android out of the box. I'm sticking with Moto or the nexus line from now on

Nexus 5 is made by LG. A friend got the Moto X, you just talk and that phone make things.

Quote Originally Posted by IdemanEric View Post
    I would say use it for a couple days and you might be surprised. In the last 8 months I've had a S4, Note 3, Nexus 5 and now the G2. I have always in the past rooted and loaded a custom rom soon after purchase. This is the first phone in a long time that I haven't even bothered to root yet, as I can do just about everything I want right out of the box. In my opinion the overlay on the G2 is much more thought out then touchwiz and other similar overlays. You can use themes with the stock launcher, theme the keyboard and some of the inbuilt apps. There are to many little features built into everything to list them all but if you head over to this post and read up you will see just how many useful little touches there are in the stock rom.
    Thanked by:
    pantlesspenguin likes this.

Global Posts
    5,537 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Nexus 5 is made by LG. A friend got the Moto X, you just talk and that phone make things.

Yeah I know. A lot of people think Moto is making the next Nexus though, which should be interesting

Yeah I know. A lot of people think Moto is making the next Nexus though, which should be interesting

I read that Google bought Moto, so that's explain that Nexus 6 is going to be a Moto made Nexus. That's good.

I read that Google bought Moto, so that's explain that Nexus 6 is going to be a Moto made Nexus. That's good.

Google bought Motorola well over 2 years ago, there hasn't been a Moto made Nexus yet and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    Google bought Motorola well over 2 years ago, there hasn't been a Moto made Nexus yet and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.
    2 years ago, wao I'am late on this Google Motorola thing. So maybe we can expect the next Nexus 6 is going to be a LG as Nexus 5. Thanks for the information. I got the LG G2 and this year I'am thinking to go with the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the LG G3. Let's see when this two arrives at AT&T. Thanks again.

2 years ago, wao I'am late on this Google Motorola thing. So maybe we can expect the next Nexus 6 is going to be a LG as Nexus 5. Thanks for the information. I got the LG G2 and this year I'am thinking to go with the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the LG G3. Let's see when this two arrives at AT&T. Thanks again.

I think it's anyones guess who'll be making the next Nexus, LG has made the last 2, Samsung made the 2 before that and HTC made the first. Don't get me wrong tho I think Motorola could make an awesome Nexus. I thought the Moto x was a great phone with some innovative new features. I just think if Motorola makes a Nexus phone you are going to see the same thing from partner manufacturers that you saw when Microsoft announced they were going to be making tablets, only uglier heh.

I'm also looking forward to what the S5 and G3 will bring to the table this year.

Default Re: LG G2: How bad is the UI really?

Having come from a Razr Maxx HD, I can say that not only have I gotten used to the US, but it's actually grown on me. LG put some nifty little tricks into it that I kind of like. To each their own.

I'm also looking forward to what the S5 and G3 will bring to the table this year.
    After I bought my daughter the G2 I can't help but be excited for the G3 to be released

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador

I think it's anyones guess who'll be making the next Nexus, LG has made the last 2, Samsung made the 2 before that and HTC made the first. Don't get me wrong tho I think Motorola could make an awesome Nexus. I thought the Moto x was a great phone with some innovative new features. I just think if Motorola makes a Nexus phone you are going to see the same thing from partner manufacturers that you saw when Microsoft announced they were going to be making tablets, only uglier heh.

You're right Moto X is a good one. I never got a Nexus device cause I just bought my Android phones at AT&T official store. I really like my G2 so a few more months is going to be the G3 or the S5. Ha ha who knows what comes to the front line and I just jump for it. One thing is certain, no more HTC, already own three.

Default Re: LG G2: How bad is the UI really?

The g2 doesn't feel bloated. I mean it is very similar to touchwiz but it manages to stay all smooth. I have a few gripes about the ui but they're all just to do with aesthetics, I think it looks a little cartoonish, and it's inconsistent with so many different themes and animations going on. I'll try to change it up once I've rooted. In terms of functionality and convenience, it just about beats everything imo. And the battery life is brilliant. I'd recommend this phone

Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast