message ringtone

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all
In my contacts I have selected two ringtones for my wife, one for her phone when she calls, the other for message alerts. But when I receive a text message from her, I hear the default message tone, not the custom one I sent. Any ideas? Thanks

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The individual ringtones are for calls only i believe.

You have a field in each contact for message tones? I only have one for ringtone for each person. Maybe you could try a different sms app such as Ninja SMS or Handcent. I think Ninja allows you to assign individual message tones per person

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using gosms to do this for probably 3 years. works great, just remember to turn off notifications in stock messenger

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, in my contacts I can set up individual tones for messages. But it does not work with default or google hangouts. I will try a third-party app. Thanks

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Would someone please tell me how to change/set a messaging app as default? I have looked around but cannot find it. I have the LG that came with it and hangouts, and I am trying to figure out how to switch between them as default. Thanks

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about that because there are no default apps. Just switch off notifications in the stock messaging app(and any other apps you may have used to make and receieve sms. This includes hangouts), and then switch notifications ON in your new sms app.
That's all you need to do.

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking more about this subject and don't understand something. When I enter info for a contact it lets me enter a tone for "notification." If I can do that, wouldn't you think that it would play that particular tone when I receive a text message from that contact using the default messaging app? Why can I enter the tone under contacts, yet have no way to hear that tone? The messaging app only plays the default tone. I would think it would play the one I have selected for each individual contact. Maybe I need a way to override the default sound. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol