Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    First reported KitKAt bug after update!
    I downloaded and ran the KitKat update and when I rebooted my phone I will get the following message in the screenshot below.
    I googled the error message and tried the fix posted in the past... disable/enable download in apps, reset app preferences... nothing fixed it.
    So I decided to backup my photos and wipe the phone and no more error message.
    But I only installed a few apps... Textra, Yahoo Mail, WhatsApp, SwiftKey Pro & Beta.
    I disabled all the bloatware in Apps.
    Then I customized my app drawer by grouping apps in a couple of folders.
    Then I rebooted and got the message!!
    Tried goind backwards like removing folders in app drawer and reset app prefs again and still there.
    Ugh, I'm gonna have to rewipe because it bothers me but wanted to report it and if anyone gets this too and find a fix, please pass it along.

    KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!-screenshot_2014-02-23-19-56-44_zps97b93707.png
  2. #2  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    I got it too. Not sure what the deal is with this error. What does it affect? Is it that big a deal? I'm not going to wipe my phone if it's only going to come back, any suggestions or help would be great. Maybe they'll have to send out a fix, not that it will be anytime soon!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    It's a big deal for me that it irritates me to see it at boot lol. Doesnt seem to affect anything once you press ok to get rid of it.
    I wiped my phone again since I didnt have much set up afterwards and taking it step by step.

    If I had to guess, I think maybe something to do with setting up folders in the app drawer or folders on my home screen.
    Or one of the few programs I installed that I listed above... Swiftkey/Swiftkey Beta? Textra?
    Do you by chance have any of the apps installed I listed? create folders in the app drawer? Looking for a common factor.

    A sign that you have the issue... If you boot the phone and the lock screen does not go away in the 15-30 seconds it normally does if you dont touch the screen and just hangs there... usually means when you swipe, you'll see the error message. So something conflicting the lock screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbj71370 View Post
    I got it too. Not sure what the deal is with this error. What does it affect? Is it that big a deal? I'm not going to wipe my phone if it's only going to come back, any suggestions or help would be great. Maybe they'll have to send out a fix, not that it will be anytime soon!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Darn it... It's SwiftKey! The moment I installed it and tested ok and rebooted... Error message. Uninstalled it and it's gone. Darn cause I'm not a fan of stock keyboard.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    It's a big deal for me that it irritates me to see it at boot lol. Doesnt seem to affect anything once you press ok to get rid of it.
    I wiped my phone again since I didnt have much set up afterwards and taking it step by step.

    If I had to guess, I think maybe something to do with setting up folders in the app drawer or folders on my home screen.
    Or one of the few programs I installed that I listed above... Swiftkey/Swiftkey Beta? Textra?
    Do you by chance have any of the apps installed I listed? create folders in the app drawer? Looking for a common factor.

    A sign that you have the issue... If you boot the phone and the lock screen does not go away in the 15-30 seconds it normally does if you dont touch the screen and just hangs there... usually means when you swipe, you'll see the error message. So something conflicting the lock screen.
    I am also getting that message on reboot. (But it seems to be no big deal, as it goes away after you click on it with no adverse effect.)
    I do not have folders in app drawer; I do have folders on home screen.
    I do not have Textra, but I do have Swiftkey and Swiftkey Beta, and Whatsapp.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    I also have swift key,but no folders on the app drawer only on one of the home screens. So let's see if swift key puts out a bug fix for this. There must be something there. We can't be the only three!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    If you have the app installed, you may want to go to the app store and go to the swiftkey app and see if there is a place to report bug or review it and give it one star. I am keeping the app off just because the message bugs me but i did write a one star review to see if that will help. eh, it happens with new updates... propbably effects just the g2 somehow with the lock/knock screen and they dont know until someone tells them.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbj71370 View Post
    I also have swift key,but no folders on the app drawer only on one of the home screens. So let's see if swift key puts out a bug fix for this. There must be something there. We can't be the only three!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    I "googled" this problem and found lots of "fixes" (for other devices).

    Here is what I have tried:
    Settings>Apps>All>Download Manager>Disabled and then re-enabled>Reboot

    Settings>Apps>All>Google Play Services>Cleared Cache>Reboot

    Settings>Accounts>Google>Removed account>Re-entered account>Reboot


    UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. However, the phone seems to be acting fine except for that message on reboot.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    yep tried all those.

    Hey if you still have your swiftkey installed... if you change your default keyboard to LG Keyboard and then bring up an app to see the LG keyboard up and then reboot the phone, I am curious if the message goes away when the SwiftKey is not enabled.

    If so, then I may just reinstall SwiftKey but keep it disabled until I see an update and then test.

    Quote Originally Posted by tsells View Post
    I "googled" this problem and found lots of "fixes" (for other devices).

    Here is what I have tried:
    Settings>Apps>All>Download Manager>Disabled and then re-enabled>Reboot

    Settings>Apps>All>Google Play Services>Cleared Cache>Reboot

    Settings>Accounts>Google>Removed account>Re-entered account>Reboot


    UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM. However, the phone seems to be acting fine except for that message on reboot.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    yep tried all those.

    Hey if you still have your swiftkey installed... if you change your default keyboard to LG Keyboard and then bring up an app to see the LG keyboard up and then reboot the phone, I am curious if the message goes away when the SwiftKey is not enabled.

    If so, then I may just reinstall SwiftKey but keep it disabled until I see an update and then test.
    WOW! I just changed the keyboard to Kii Keyboard and rebooted the phone and I did not get that message!
    I then switched back to Swiftkey Beta and rebooted the phone and I then got the message!!!
    So Swiftkey is the culprit!!!
    donm527#IM likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    I have swiftkey installed on my LG G2 with kitkat i changed it back to LG keyborad and the error went away wth. its been working fine for a week or so with kitkat
  12. #12  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Ok I uninstalled swift key the paid version which i purchasedand reboot the phone and reinstalled swiftkey and this error comes back
    google.process.gapps error

    i reboot the phone still same error , I uninstalled swiftkey the error goes away. conclusion Swiftkey and Kitkat 4.4.2 not playing nice. I hope it gets resolved I like my swiftkey

    I posted on swiftkey's website , others should post here so we can get them to fix it if it is swiftkey
    google.process.gapps error = Swiftkey = Kitkat = LG G2 - Bug Reports - SwiftKey VIP Forum
    Thanked by:
    donm527#IM likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    It is swiftkey causing it. Uninstall it and I guarantee it will go away. I really hope they fix it soon.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    new beta out. i'll try to install it and test later. if anyone tries and test please update info?

    New SwiftKey beta update with Evernote and Google+ personalization
  15. #15  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    new beta out. i'll try to install it and test later. if anyone tries and test please update info?

    New SwiftKey beta update with Evernote and Google+ personalization
    Just installed the new Beta and still get the error.
    I have been a long time Swiftkey (and Swype and Kii) user and recently switched to the stock LG Keyboard. I am really impressed with the LG keyboard. It has swipe, and a numbers row on top, really good word prediction, and there are themes (the best themes are on the XDA website).
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    darn. thanks for the info. i just got to work and was going to install.
    i'm using google keyboard. i just find the predictive texting worse on LG than googles and some key placement better on google than LG.


    Quote Originally Posted by tsells View Post
    Just installed the new Beta and still get the error.
    I have been a long time Swiftkey (and Swype and Kii) user and recently switched to the stock LG Keyboard. I am really impressed with the LG keyboard. It has swipe, and a numbers row on top, really good word prediction, and there are themes (the best themes are on the XDA website).
  17. #17  
  18. #18  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    I had never gotten this until booting up yesterday after installing the G3 ROM

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    This was driving me crazy today (LG G2), and I went through ALL the recommended fixes, but nothing worked. Then I remembered my Google Keyboard had recently updated, so I uninstalled it and the problem was fixed! Ironically I had originally substituted the Google keyboard for Swiftkey when Swiftkey was causing the same problem, but now it's the Google keyboard causing the problem! I did not reinstall the Google keyboard, but instead installed the Swiftkey keyboard and the issue seems to be corrected! I suppose it's possible that uninstalling and reinstalling the Google keyboard would have fixed the problem, but I prefer Swiftkey anyway. Hopefully this sticks, we shall see tomorrow. The only time I was seeing the error was on bootup, and I don't think it was impacting anything, but it still bugged the hell out of me! Best of luck!
  20. #20  
    derek_k's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkintx View Post
    ... but now it's the Google keyboard causing the problem!
    Turned out it was Google Keyboard causing the same issue for me too. Uninstalling Google Keyboard gets rid of the error at boot. I then tried re-installing Google Keyboard, but the error comes back. Which is unfortunate.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Ok folks, here it comes... the fix to all your problems. This bug is part of Google's transition from the Dalvik runtime to ART runtime. Do the following:

    If you have not enabled the "Developer Options" menu, do so by doing the following:

    Menu -> System Settings -> General (for tab view) -> About Phone -> Software Information

    Once on this screen, tap on "Build Number" until it tells you that the Developer Options menu has been enabled.


    [For tab view menu]
    Menu -> System Settings -> General Tab -> Developer Options

    [For list view menu]
    Menu -> System Settings -> Developer Options

    The fourth option down is "Select runtime", it is most likely "Dalvik". Select it and change it to "ART". When you make this change it will tell you that you need to reboot. This made me nervous, but I accepted anyways. Your phone WILL TAKE A WHILE to reboot!!! It needs to upgrade a LOT of apps and components, but it WILL boot, do NOT hard reset it!

    This will also enable the "OK Google from any screen" option in Google Now.
    MikeG2 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Giving one start for a "bug" is a dumb idea. This isn't a problem with SwiftKey, it's a problem with LG's implementation of the keyboard in their libraries! Go give LG a one star...
  23. #23  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    That doesn't fix all your problems, by the way...
  24. #24  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Happened on my Verizon LG G3. I had disabled google Newstand. I re-enabled that and the gapps message seems to have stopped. We'll see. .....
  25. #25  

    Default Re: KitKat Bug: com.google.process.gapps error at boot!

    Quote Originally Posted by djspyral View Post
    Ok folks, here it comes... the fix to all your problems. This bug is part of Google's transition from the Dalvik runtime to ART runtime.
    I think djspyral was joking about ART being a fix for all our problems. I heard enabling ART can bring it's own set of issues, but I liked the post 'cause I needed those instructions.

    Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Home Button Stopped working with S View after kitkat update??
    By dacbeth in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-01-2014, 11:35 AM
  3. AT&T HTC One: KitKat Update Thread Discussion
    By Josean Ceballos in forum AT&T HTC One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
  4. AT&T HTC One: 4.4 Wallpaper Scrolling
    By hpilot in forum AT&T HTC One
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions