Switch to LG G2

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in the N5 board too. I?d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I?ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I?ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. I?ve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phone?s stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. It?s said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesn?t every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

So, some questions:
1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
2) I don?t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
4) Anything else I should consider before switching?

Thanks.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The LG G2 is a great phone. The camera is very good and the battery is among the best. The back buttons were a pleasant surprise and quite natural to use. Of course that's subjective.

Is it better than the N5?? I don't have one to compare but with camera and battery in mind the G2 is pretty damn nice

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The N5 is a great phone as is the LG G2 and they are both made by LG. IMHO you're not moving up or down but sideways, but the LG G2 gets my vote if you use the camera function the most.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 and just yesterday purchased a G2. I like the Nexus, but haven't lived it like so many have. Feels like an amazing screen attached to a cheap phone to me.

The G2 takes the quality up a notch to me and I've enjoyed the different skin since I've lately been using both the Nexus and a Moto X. It really isn't bad at all.

I say go for it.

Posted via Android Central App

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth I went from the nexus 4 to the g2. I know the nexus 5 has a better camera and battery than the 4, but the g2 blows them both away. At&t just got kit Kat so as of right now they are both on the same version of Android. Though we all know the nexus 5 will be supported longer. But as the LG g2 is on jelly bean or kit Kat it really doesn't leave much more to be desired, and that's the way I felt with my Nexus 4. It's a super solid phone and if camera and battery are important to you, more important than software updates than this is the phone for it. The last thing to factor is waiting to see what the g3 is going to have to offer and then possibly dump the n5 for that. Of course you could play that game forever because there is always something right around the corner.
Good luck!

ಠ益ಠ

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth I went from the nexus 4 to the g2. I know the nexus 5 has a better camera and battery than the 4, but the g2 blows them both away. At&t just got kit Kat so as of right now they are both on the same version of Android. Though we all know the nexus 5 will be supported longer. But as the LG g2 is on jelly bean or kit Kat it really doesn't leave much more to be desired, and that's the way I felt with my Nexus 4. It's a super solid phone and if camera and battery are important to you, more important than software updates than this is the phone for it. The last thing to factor is waiting to see what the g3 is going to have to offer and then possibly dump the n5 for that. Of course you could play that game forever because there is always something right around the corner.
Good luck!

ಠ益ಠ

Thanks for the feedback. From the rumors that are out there, they may bump the G3 up to 5.5." I just don't want a phone that big. This N5 and G2 are about as big as I want (or I'll need a purse).

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. From the rumors that are out there, they may bump the G3 up to 5.5." I just don't want a phone that big. This N5 and G2 are about as big as I want (or I'll need a purse).

I am right there with you. Love the 5.2 in screen size on a 5 inch phone form factor of the LG g2. I don't want anything larger. I had a note 2, size wasn't for me. I don't think it is physically possible to get a 5.5 in. screen on the current frame of the g2. LG isn't afraid of the big phones, example new gpro and flex. I hope they keep the g2 successor on the smaller side.

ಠ益ಠ

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the N5 board too. I?d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I?ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I?ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. I?ve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phone?s stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. It?s said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesn?t every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

So, some questions:
1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
2) I don?t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?

Thanks.

I've heard awesome things about the G2. My only problem is the UI. That's my problem with any phone that isn't stock android. Have you maybe considered the Moto X? Has great battery life, near stock android, but the camera again is iffy sometimes. I don't find it too bad, but some have said different. But you could always go with the G2, root it and flash a custom room and have it looking and feeling like stock android. But yet you get the amazing camera and and battery life of the G2.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've heard awesome things about the G2. My only problem is the UI. That's my problem with any phone that isn't stock android. Have you maybe considered the Moto X? Has great battery life, near stock android, but the camera again is iffy sometimes. I don't find it too bad, but some have said different. But you could always go with the G2, root it and flash a custom room and have it looking and feeling like stock android. But yet you get the amazing camera and and battery life of the G2.

But if I did that wouldn't I be losing LGs camera software? - which would be one of the main reasons I'd be getting it. I think I'd probably keep it and just use a different launcher.

Also, I tried the Moto X when they had that Christmas sale. Worst camera I've ever seen. I may have just got a lemon though because it could not take a sharp picture. Everything was blurry. The N5 camera blew it away. I contacted them and told them about the issue wanting to exchange for another but they just issued an RMA, so I figured I'd just stick with N5.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
But if I did that wouldn't I be losing LGs camera software? - which would be one of the main reasons I'd be getting it. I think I'd probably keep it and just use a different launcher.

Also, I tried the Moto X when they had that Christmas sale. Worst camera I've ever seen. I may have just got a lemon though because it could not take a sharp picture. Everything was blurry. The N5 camera blew it away. I contacted them and told them about the issue wanting to exchange for another but they just issued an RMA, so I figured I'd just stick with N5.

Not sure if rooting would kill the camera software on the G2. I was unaware of that. I would think that you would be able to use the camera the same way. I could be wrong, so someone correct if that's the case. But launchers are a good choice as well. Currently running Nova launcher on my X. As for the camera on the X, I wouldn't say that mine is the worst I've ever seen. But its not the best, that is for sure. I think I read somewhere that the new 4.4.2 update has improved the camera software.

But nonetheless, if you want the G2 go for it. With the specs, you can't go wrong.

Ariozo

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Got both devices and I love my, but g2 beat it. Battery on g2 is so good and even LG ui is smooth. Camera is better on g2, auto focus take a while, but hope on a fix on that with kitkat.

Skickat fr?n min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

You won't lose the LG camera software if you just root and use Xposed to change the UI. Flashing a custom ROM would change the camera app settings and UI.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB 4.4.2

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I came from a GNex and a Thunderbolt running aosp rom before that. I like aosp-based roms. I went with the g2 anyway and have no intentions of flashing this phone. the stock launcher is smooth, fast, and doesn't usually get it the way. I stuck with it over installing nova prime. it's not perfect, but xposed really helps it out. I have mods to enable translucent nav and status bars, hide stupid stock launcher notifications (battery full, gps location found, etc), adjust the power menu, and more. it's basically like running a new Rom, but without the crashing or data connection issues usually present. it's still not 100% the way I'd like it, but what in life is? it's good enough for me to be in love with my phone.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data :)

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to rooting and flashing roms, etc. Anybody have a good reference guide? Did a cursory search and there is a TON of info. I want a beginners guide.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

davec3275

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see I am not alone. I've only had the N5 for a little over a month now, and while I think it's a great phone I am beginning to like the G2 a little better. Aside from the better camera, it seems the G2 can do more than my N5. Heck, my friend got a G2 this weekend on the same network as me (TMo); and with our phones side-by-side hers had a better signal strength.

I posted this in the N5 board too. I’d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I’ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I’ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. I’ve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phone’s stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. It’s said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesn’t every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

So, some questions:
2) I don’t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?

Thanks.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I looked at this site. Couple questions:

Here is what I'm looking to do: (1) root the phone keeping the LG rom; (2) install xposed framework; (3) install some xposed mods. I don't want to mess around with custom roms.

The directions on the site say to not upgrade to Kitkat because you have to downgrade in order to install custom roms. Since I won't be installing any custom roms, should I first upgrade to Kitkat? Will it matter either way? Also, will I need a custom recovery or is that only necessary if one is installing a custom rom?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781