Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Switch to LG G2

    I posted this in the N5 board too. Iíd like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. Iíve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what Iíve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. Iíve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phoneís stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

    I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. Itís said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesnít every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

    So, some questions:
    1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
    2) I donít think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
    3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
    4) Anything else I should consider before switching?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    The LG G2 is a great phone. The camera is very good and the battery is among the best. The back buttons were a pleasant surprise and quite natural to use. Of course that's subjective.

    Is it better than the N5?? I don't have one to compare but with camera and battery in mind the G2 is pretty damn nice

    Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    The N5 is a great phone as is the LG G2 and they are both made by LG. IMHO you're not moving up or down but sideways, but the LG G2 gets my vote if you use the camera function the most.
    LG-isai
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    I just purchase an LG G2 as I got so bored with my iPhone 5 . Nice to be back on an android device after one year away from it.
  5. #5  
    jschu22's Avatar

    Posts
    430 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    I have the Nexus 5 and just yesterday purchased a G2. I like the Nexus, but haven't lived it like so many have. Feels like an amazing screen attached to a cheap phone to me.

    The G2 takes the quality up a notch to me and I've enjoyed the different skin since I've lately been using both the Nexus and a Moto X. It really isn't bad at all.

    I say go for it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    For what it's worth I went from the nexus 4 to the g2. I know the nexus 5 has a better camera and battery than the 4, but the g2 blows them both away. At&t just got kit Kat so as of right now they are both on the same version of Android. Though we all know the nexus 5 will be supported longer. But as the LG g2 is on jelly bean or kit Kat it really doesn't leave much more to be desired, and that's the way I felt with my Nexus 4. It's a super solid phone and if camera and battery are important to you, more important than software updates than this is the phone for it. The last thing to factor is waiting to see what the g3 is going to have to offer and then possibly dump the n5 for that. Of course you could play that game forever because there is always something right around the corner.
    Good luck!

    ಠ益ಠ
    ಠ益ಠ
    1BassJohn likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrator Joe View Post
    For what it's worth I went from the nexus 4 to the g2. I know the nexus 5 has a better camera and battery than the 4, but the g2 blows them both away. At&t just got kit Kat so as of right now they are both on the same version of Android. Though we all know the nexus 5 will be supported longer. But as the LG g2 is on jelly bean or kit Kat it really doesn't leave much more to be desired, and that's the way I felt with my Nexus 4. It's a super solid phone and if camera and battery are important to you, more important than software updates than this is the phone for it. The last thing to factor is waiting to see what the g3 is going to have to offer and then possibly dump the n5 for that. Of course you could play that game forever because there is always something right around the corner.
    Good luck!

    ಠ益ಠ
    Thanks for the feedback. From the rumors that are out there, they may bump the G3 up to 5.5." I just don't want a phone that big. This N5 and G2 are about as big as I want (or I'll need a purse).
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. From the rumors that are out there, they may bump the G3 up to 5.5." I just don't want a phone that big. This N5 and G2 are about as big as I want (or I'll need a purse).
    I am right there with you. Love the 5.2 in screen size on a 5 inch phone form factor of the LG g2. I don't want anything larger. I had a note 2, size wasn't for me. I don't think it is physically possible to get a 5.5 in. screen on the current frame of the g2. LG isn't afraid of the big phones, example new gpro and flex. I hope they keep the g2 successor on the smaller side.

    ಠ益ಠ
    ಠ益ಠ
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    The battery life on my G2 is the best I've had on an Android phone.

    Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Illustrator Joe likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    I posted this in the N5 board too. Iíd like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. Iíve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what Iíve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. Iíve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phoneís stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

    I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. Itís said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesnít every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

    So, some questions:
    1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
    2) I donít think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
    3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
    4) Anything else I should consider before switching?

    Thanks.
    I've heard awesome things about the G2. My only problem is the UI. That's my problem with any phone that isn't stock android. Have you maybe considered the Moto X? Has great battery life, near stock android, but the camera again is iffy sometimes. I don't find it too bad, but some have said different. But you could always go with the G2, root it and flash a custom room and have it looking and feeling like stock android. But yet you get the amazing camera and and battery life of the G2.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
    I've heard awesome things about the G2. My only problem is the UI. That's my problem with any phone that isn't stock android. Have you maybe considered the Moto X? Has great battery life, near stock android, but the camera again is iffy sometimes. I don't find it too bad, but some have said different. But you could always go with the G2, root it and flash a custom room and have it looking and feeling like stock android. But yet you get the amazing camera and and battery life of the G2.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    But if I did that wouldn't I be losing LGs camera software? - which would be one of the main reasons I'd be getting it. I think I'd probably keep it and just use a different launcher.

    Also, I tried the Moto X when they had that Christmas sale. Worst camera I've ever seen. I may have just got a lemon though because it could not take a sharp picture. Everything was blurry. The N5 camera blew it away. I contacted them and told them about the issue wanting to exchange for another but they just issued an RMA, so I figured I'd just stick with N5.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    But if I did that wouldn't I be losing LGs camera software? - which would be one of the main reasons I'd be getting it. I think I'd probably keep it and just use a different launcher.

    Also, I tried the Moto X when they had that Christmas sale. Worst camera I've ever seen. I may have just got a lemon though because it could not take a sharp picture. Everything was blurry. The N5 camera blew it away. I contacted them and told them about the issue wanting to exchange for another but they just issued an RMA, so I figured I'd just stick with N5.
    Not sure if rooting would kill the camera software on the G2. I was unaware of that. I would think that you would be able to use the camera the same way. I could be wrong, so someone correct if that's the case. But launchers are a good choice as well. Currently running Nova launcher on my X. As for the camera on the X, I wouldn't say that mine is the worst I've ever seen. But its not the best, that is for sure. I think I read somewhere that the new 4.4.2 update has improved the camera software.

    But nonetheless, if you want the G2 go for it. With the specs, you can't go wrong.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    Ariozo's Avatar

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Got both devices and I love my, but g2 beat it. Battery on g2 is so good and even LG ui is smooth. Camera is better on g2, auto focus take a while, but hope on a fix on that with kitkat.

    Skickat frŚn min LG-D802 via Tapatalk
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    But if I did that wouldn't I be losing LGs camera software? - which would be one of the main reasons I'd be getting it. I think I'd probably keep it and just use a different launcher.

    Also, I tried the Moto X when they had that Christmas sale. Worst camera I've ever seen. I may have just got a lemon though because it could not take a sharp picture. Everything was blurry. The N5 camera blew it away. I contacted them and told them about the issue wanting to exchange for another but they just issued an RMA, so I figured I'd just stick with N5.
    You won't lose the LG camera software if you just root and use Xposed to change the UI. Flashing a custom ROM would change the camera app settings and UI.

    Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    I came from a GNex and a Thunderbolt running aosp rom before that. I like aosp-based roms. I went with the g2 anyway and have no intentions of flashing this phone. the stock launcher is smooth, fast, and doesn't usually get it the way. I stuck with it over installing nova prime. it's not perfect, but xposed really helps it out. I have mods to enable translucent nav and status bars, hide stupid stock launcher notifications (battery full, gps location found, etc), adjust the power menu, and more. it's basically like running a new Rom, but without the crashing or data connection issues usually present. it's still not 100% the way I'd like it, but what in life is? it's good enough for me to be in love with my phone.

    Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    I'm new to rooting and flashing roms, etc. Anybody have a good reference guide? Did a cursory search and there is a TON of info. I want a beginners guide.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    I'm new to rooting and flashing roms, etc. Anybody have a good reference guide? Did a cursory search and there is a TON of info. I want a beginners guide.
    Here's a guide for rooting the G2.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2633150

    Some general rooting and modding info.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2344474


    Sent from my LG-G2
    Thanked by:
    Illustrator Joe likes this.
  18. #18  
    davec3275's Avatar

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Nice to see I am not alone. I've only had the N5 for a little over a month now, and while I think it's a great phone I am beginning to like the G2 a little better. Aside from the better camera, it seems the G2 can do more than my N5. Heck, my friend got a G2 this weekend on the same network as me (TMo); and with our phones side-by-side hers had a better signal strength.

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    I posted this in the N5 board too. I’d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I’ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I’ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. I’ve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phone’s stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

    I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. It’s said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesn’t every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

    So, some questions:
    1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
    2) I don’t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
    3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
    4) Anything else I should consider before switching?

    Thanks.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    You won't lose the LG camera software if you just root and use Xposed to change the UI. Flashing a custom ROM would change the camera app settings and UI.

    Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB 4.4.2
    Deleted because question was already answered.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    I looked at this site. Couple questions:

    Here is what I'm looking to do: (1) root the phone keeping the LG rom; (2) install xposed framework; (3) install some xposed mods. I don't want to mess around with custom roms.

    The directions on the site say to not upgrade to Kitkat because you have to downgrade in order to install custom roms. Since I won't be installing any custom roms, should I first upgrade to Kitkat? Will it matter either way? Also, will I need a custom recovery or is that only necessary if one is installing a custom rom?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Shouldn't matter if you're on KitKat or not but you do need a custom recovery.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Shouldn't matter if you're on KitKat or not but you do need a custom recovery.
    So if I want KitKat, the order would be:
    1) Install KK
    2) Root
    3) Install custom recovery
    4) Install xposed framework
    5) xposed mods

    Correct?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    I cant say yes positively about kitkat. I'd wait for clareification from another.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    Quote Originally Posted by teamnowak View Post
    So if I want KitKat, the order would be:
    1) Install KK
    2) Root
    3) Install custom recovery
    4) Install xposed framework
    5) xposed mods

    Correct?
    There is currently no root method available for 20c (KitKat).

    Follow these steps if you are on 10o.

    (1) Root using ioroot. There's a YouTube video that goes through the entire process.
    (2) Update software to 10q. May have to contact AT&T and have them push update.
    (3) OTA update for 20c (KK) should be made available (if not have AT&T push it). You should still have root after this update.

    There is no custom recovery for KitKat and it only allows flashing custom ROMs if you're still on 10d software.

    If you want to experience Xposed you should download and install the latest version of Xposed installer from Xda. Then start using the Xposed modules you want. There's also G2 Xposed app which has a lot of nice settings.

    Sent from my LG-G2
    Thanked by 2:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Switch to LG G2

    So it sounds like I should just forget KK, no? Will I notice it anyway if I'm customizing with xposed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to back-up Nexus 5 OTB
    By Taylor Cowan in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
  2. Switch to LG G2
    By teamnowak in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
  3. Trying to Root my Galaxy S3 getting error from superuser app
    By LycosOmega in forum AT&T Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 12:12 AM
  4. My LG OPtimus
    By Darla Jensen in forum LG Optimus L
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
  5. Will you be updating to 4.4 with locking 3rd party apps writing to external SD cards????
    By Nanfoodle in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in Canada (Bell/Rogers/Telus)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions