1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default power off or not?

I have searched the web and surprisingly did not find a lot of stuff on this question: Is it best to power off the unit when not using it for several hours?
    What do you all think?

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: power off or not?

Turning off the phone will of course save battery life if you aren't using it for long periods of time. Standby should not use a lot of battery either.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

On the G2 it really isn't necessary when it uses next to nothing on standby.

I would have thought the power uses to switch it on(and off) in addition to loading all the services etc would use far more than if it was in standby for about 2 or more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by techie5 View Post
    I have searched the web and surprisingly did not find a lot of stuff on this question: Is it best to power off the unit when not using it for several hours?
    What do you all think?
    IMHO no, just use Standby
    LG-isai

No need to turn the phone off. The only reason Standby would drain significantly would be a rogue application or if you have constant auto updates set.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

my g2 gets such great battery life that I'm really trying to treat the battery right. I charge it as little as possible, which also means I usually don't charge overnight unless it's below 15%. my phone on Wi-Fi with background sync on losses about 7 or 8% in the 7+ hours it sits on my nightstand. that's not bad. if I wanted to conserve battery I would turn data and syncing off and it'd cut that down to like 3%

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data

I turn my data off at night, I lose no battery power and don't get woken up by notifications during the night.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Put phone in Airplane Mode

What do you all think?
    What you could do is get a profile manager app from google play. You can then set it to it to switch all data and communications off (ie aeroplane mode and switch off data) at various times or conditions (ege when you're within about 5 miles of your home). Maybe set a "sleep" profile where all communications switch off and the screen dims etc.
    Here are some profile managers

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks all!

My phone is never off
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador

I just use quiet time. I've set my phone to go silent when I'm in bed, and normal when I get up. I never turn my data off, and my phone is always on, I don't see the need to, the battery is great anyway

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome LG G2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I appreciate all your input. But I guess I'm wondering if there are advantages to turning it off, like you know when you need to restart a computer or your cable company tells you to unplug and replug your cable box. . . I would think it would help the phone in some ways. . .

Just like with a computer, if it seems sluggish or isn't acting right, give it a restart. Otherwise, no need to shut it down.

I use Light Flow for notifications so even if I use the Quiet Mode, it still flashes an endless cycle of rainbow colors which chip away at the battery so turning data off solves that for me, no notification noises, no flashing lights.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Thanks, I'll check it out

I appreciate all your input. But I guess I'm wondering if there are advantages to turning it off, like you know when you need to restart a computer or your cable company tells you to unplug and replug your cable box. . . I would think it would help the phone in some ways. . .
    You could reboot it after every charge.

Alternatively, you could press and hold your home button to bring up previous apps. Then click task manager button -> menu button -> settings - > click auto clear RAM (select every 24 hours).