Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Longer micro-USB charger wire

I was wondering if any one out there has purchased a longer micro-USB to use with the plug shipped with the LG G2. I am wary of buying one since I do not want to damage my charger port with a poorly made USB wire

Thanks

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: Longer micro-USB charger wire

Quote Originally Posted by JozayG2 View Post
    I was wondering if any one out there has purchased a longer micro-USB to use with the plug shipped with the LG G2. I am wary of buying one since I do not want to damage my charger port with a poorly made USB wire

Thanks
    I use an Amazon Basics cable with various devices. It works great.

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics USB Cable - 2.0 A Male to Micro B (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters) : Computer Usb Cables : Electronics

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
    Thanked by:

I have used ones from various eBay sellers and they've been fine with Sony phones and iPhones. Can't speak for g2 yet as my chord broke the other day and I only just got the g2! But I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Thanks just been reading the reviews for this some look worrying lol saying things like the microUSB end melted. Have you used it on the G2?

Also...show all reviews, then search for "G2" in the reviews for this product. It doesn't look good.
    Thanked by:

One thing of note is that if you use a cheap or long cable the charger will not be able to do a fast charge as there will be too much voltage drop. After testing a few cables most would only charge at ~500ma or so and would get the "slow charging" warning. I cut off a cable a few inched from either end and spliced it back together with a longer piece of 18ga wire and can charge at ~1200ma with that.
    -----------------
    LG G2 VS980 Verizon (on AIOwireless AT&T network)
    Android 4.2.2

Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyXXX View Post
    One thing of note is that if you use a cheap or long cable the charger will not be able to do a fast charge as there will be too much voltage drop. After testing a few cables most would only charge at ~500ma or so and would get the "slow charging" warning. I cut off a cable a few inched from either end and spliced it back together with a longer piece of 18ga wire and can charge at ~1200ma with that.
    Yep, the longer the cable, the slower the charge. I don't really notice any difference when using the Amazon cable.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have bought the FRiEQ cable from Amazon it is 6 feet long and it does not give me the slow charging notification when using this wire, 5 star reviews on Amazon heres the link if anyone else is interested http://www.amazon.co.uk/FRiEQ%C2%AE-...r-21&m1k=vb_ac