What is the best root for the ATT LG G2?

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
ATT LG G2: Best (current) root method

I have this phone arriving in a couple of days and I will want to root it immediately and start tinkering. When I search for root methods I find lots of links to different forums. I'm hoping one of you can point me to the "best" (read: easiest) current root method. I'm particularly interested in one that is written so that a person who has never rooted before can do it most easily and with the least chance of messing anything up.

I think I also want to go with TWRP but there is talk of loki vulnerability (I don't even want to know what that is ;-), so if you know of a good resource for explaining this, please don't be afraid to share.

Edited to add: the phone is the ATT variant (D800)

Last edited by a moderator:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
re: ATT LG G2: Best (current) root method

Loki allows us to bypass the bootloader and flash TWRP and custom ROMs. And you'll need to be on the 10d stock software in order to flash ROMs through TWRP.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB Roms 4.4.2

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

ioroot is the best/easiest root method, hands down. Then use Freegee to install custom recovery and apply loki patch automatically (if you want to, it isn't necessary to install custom recovery if you will stay on stock ROM).

Just did mine yesterday, 20 minutes start to finish, including installing drivers, rooting, installing TWRP, and installing Beanstalk ROM. Pretty simple actually if you do your research ahead of time.

slammer1

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Acejavelin. Were you on 4.2 pr 4.4 android software when you rooted? I'm on 4.4 and from what i know to date there is no root method for this...yet.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Acejavelin. Were you on 4.2 pr 4.4 android software when you rooted? I'm on 4.4 and from what i know to date there is no root method for this...yet.

Sorry, I missed that part... You are correct. I was on 4.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The Freegee app is the easiest option. It will bypass the bootloader using Loki and install TWRP or CWM recovery.

Added to my Google Play Wishlist. Phone should come today or tomorrow.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The best way to root the AT&T G2 is with ioroot. Here's an Xda guide and a YouTube video.

[GUIDE]Newbie Guide for Root/Recovery/Stock Restore etc. ATT LG G2 (LG D800) - xda-developers

How to Root the LG G2 any carrier - YouTube

Does this work with Mac? I got as far as the LG drivers which are an .exe file. So now I have to figure out where to find that one for a Mac? Anybody know offhand?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Does this work with Mac? I got as far as the LG drivers which are an .exe file. So now I have to figure out where to find that one for a Mac? Anybody know offhand?

This method using ioroot is for PC. I strongly recommend getting access to a PC to root your G2. You could get the appropriate root files and root the G2 through adb commands, but there are no guides and I can't confirm it will work.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

This method using ioroot is for PC. I strongly recommend getting access to a PC to root your G2. You could get the appropriate root files and root the G2 through adb commands, but there are no guides and I can't confirm it will work.

Okay, thanks. Looks like I'm bringing my work laptop home for this. ;-)

paulie1975

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Loki allows us to bypass the bootloader and flash TWRP and custom ROMs. And you'll need to be on the 10d stock software in order to flash ROMs through TWRP.

hi , sorry to **** in to this thread , im on the 3 network in the uk rooted successfully yesterday but yet to install a recovery , software version DB80210b 234 20 . You say "you'll need to be on the 10d stock software in order to flash ROMs through TWRP" ... does this mean I wont be able to cos I'm on the 10b ?? Sorry im new to this ... what does the 10b 10d even mean ? Appreciate if anyone could answer this please. Thanks

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

hi , sorry to **** in to this thread , im on the 3 network in the uk rooted successfully yesterday but yet to install a recovery , software version DB80210b 234 20 . You say "you'll need to be on the 10d stock software in order to flash ROMs through TWRP" ... does this mean I wont be able to cos I'm on the 10b ?? Sorry im new to this ... what does the 10b 10d even mean ? Appreciate if anyone could answer this please. Thanks

My comment about the 10d software only applies to AT&T G2. Not sure about the situation with the D802 builds, but the appropriate info should be available at xda forums.

Sent from my LG-G2 running Carbon 4.4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21