Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By Klotar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G2: Can't update software over mobile network?

I can't update software using the Update Center, it seems to require that I use wi-fi, and I don't have access to any Here are the screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/FQnswRp.png
    http://i.imgur.com/aJdvow4.png

How can I force it to use my mobile network? I have enough data available to cover the measly 112 MB.

I'm using Android v4.2.2. One other issue I noticed is that "About phone > Network" shows "Unavailable" for "IP address" even though network is available and I can browse websites normally. I'm not sure if it's related to the update center issue.

Default Re: Can't update software over mobile network?

Quote Originally Posted by mobilenetwork View Post
    I can't update software using the Update Center, it seems to require that I use wi-fi, and I don't have access to any Here are the screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/FQnswRp.png
    http://i.imgur.com/aJdvow4.png

How can I force it to use my mobile network? I have enough data available to cover the measly 112 MB.

I'm using Android v4.2.2. One other issue I noticed is that "About phone > Network" shows "Unavailable" for "IP address" even though network is available and I can browse websites normally. I'm not sure if it's related to the update center issue.
    You must download over WiFi, you cannot use mobile data.

The other option (possibly) would be to get the update manually and sideload it. Not sure if its possible on your model though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Can you go to a Starbucks or some place with free wifi?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    acejavelin likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Can you go to a Starbucks or some place with free wifi?
    I live in a small town, we don't have a Starbucks here. I ended up using a public hotspot at the town square. I spent 45 minutes sitting in freezing weather, trying to dodge pigeons flying over me as if they plotted to drop a bomb on my LG G2. I only managed to download 1 update and had to give up on the KitKat update, because the network was unbearably slow. I've been using computer devices since Commodore 64, and this is one of the most retarded limitations I've encountered. I mean, why on earth would Android devs not allow to use a mobile network to download a file? I can understand why Wi-Fi might be the preferred option for most, but to REQUIRE using a particular type of internet connection? This is absolutely ridiculous.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts

While many have unlimited or high-limit data packages, possibly the wi-fi requirement is because not everyone does. As an example scenario, imagine a user with a 200 MB data cap (or is roaming) and he/she is hit with a 150 MB update. There would be a lot of complaining.
    Illustrator Joe likes this.