LG G2: Proximity sensor issues during phone calls

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T G2 and one thing that is making me a bit crazy is the proximity sensor.

When I make a call and hold the phone to my ear (left), the screen does go off like it's supposed to, but 50% of the time if I move the phone even a little bit, the screen comes on and my ear triggers one of the on screen buttons so I'm constantly hearing the beeps of the keypad and I have to jam the phone closer to my ear and not move it to keep the screen from coming back on during a call. I don't find any setting for the proximity sensor on the AT&T model.

Is this just something to live with or is there a way to adjust/fix things?

Last edited by a moderator:

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T G2 and one thing that is making me a bit crazy is the proximity sensor.

When I make a call and hold the phone to my ear (left), the screen does go off like it's supposed to, but 50% of the time if I move the phone even a little bit, the screen comes on and my ear triggers one of the on screen buttons so I'm constantly hearing the beeps of the keypad and I have to jam the phone closer to my ear and not move it to keep the screen from coming back on during a call. I don't find any setting for the proximity sensor on the AT&T model.

I am not sure if this will help, but you can recalibrate the Motion Sensor located at Settings>Gestures>Motion Sensor Calibration>Then it prompts you to recalibrate.
It can't hurt to try it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on your screen that is covering or partially covering the proximity sensor? These are notorious for causing issues like these. Also, make sure the proximity sensor area on your screen if free of any oils that may end up their from your ear. I've heard of phones having the same issue when makeup collects there.

Lastly, this is hardware on our phone and can fail. You are most definitely within the one year warranty, your should be able to get it replaced if you can show the sensor is failing.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Ditto. I had to trim my screen protector to expose the Proximity Sensor. It was acting very flaky when covered by the screen protector.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• 1394487812172.jpg
    1394487812172.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 51

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

Try shutting off the phone and then back on. Recalibrate the sensor like the 1st response suggested. Then turn the phone off and on again. I did this after the 4.4.2 update and it fixed my issue which was the same experience as yours.

ಠ益ಠ

tobiascapin

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue, a sensor test shows me that sometimes proximity sensor doesn't work, and sometimes works properly... I tried to recalibrate the sensor as suggested but doesn't work. I also tried an hard reset... no again. Do you suggests something else? Can it be an hardware problem?

philip2100

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted, check if your ROM enables you to lengthen the proximity sensor sensitivity property in build.props. I have had success using 500 milliseconds. So, when I'm in a call with the phone to my ear, 500 ms have to pass when the phone moves away from my ear before the proximity sensor times out and the display comes back on. NOTE: take extreme caution changing any property in build.props ? don't forget that you modified a property so that if any crashes, etc. happen subsequently you can restore the property to its default to solve any such issues. Reboot for the change to build.props to take effect. Definitely do a nandroid backup BEFORE changing any property in build.props ? then change the property, then reboot. Try it out!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

tobiascapin

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not very sure it is a param problem, sometimes the sensor works, and If default was not correct I would have read many other people with this issue.
I have some problem also in gravity sensor (after a reboot it works again for a while)... I may try to downgrade from 4.4 to 4.2 but is this allowed by warranty? I need to root the phone to do this?
I absolutelty don't want to loose warranty because if I don't solve this problem I will sent it to LG assistance.

Thank you again.

Hans Fujimoto

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, i recently bought an LG G2 case from trident. and i keep hearin things that my screen protector is blocking the proximity sensor..can you tell me where it is? and i also heard if you cut the part out covering the proximity sensor . i can use the knock knock feature without any problems.

tobiascapin

May 5, 2014
Visit site
It is the little black oval sensor between the front camera and the speaker.

g2-41.jpg
(in this photo you can see very well the front camera, a little bottom there is the proxymity/bright sensor)

SP33DST3R

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Recently I had replaced a new display for a customer but after replacement, the light / proximity sensor didn't worked 100% anymore. Whenever I try to turn on the display , it turned off automatically. So I re-seated the light sensor couple of times, but it still didn't worked. So I had to order a new light / proximity sensor. For the time being, I just detached the light sensor so the phone can still work but it won't turn off automatically during calls. After replacing the sensor, it worked 100% again! I also get other values when I test it like in the video shown above. The light value I get is up to 125 and not 25. So my guess is maybe that sensor is also defect and not working 100%. This part is not too expensive and you could buy it for around 10USD and is a cheap fix...

Halil Ulas

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Try shutting off the phone and then back on. Recalibrate the sensor like the 1st response suggested. Then turn the phone off and on again. I did this after the 4.4.2 update and it fixed my issue which was the same experience as yours.

ಠ益ಠ

It seems working Joe, thank you!
The problem was killing me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia