How to maintain a healthy battery?

JozayG2

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering how frequently we should charge our devices, I understand our batterys detoriate over time and I have read that letting your battery drop below 20% will speed up this process but I am often charging my device when it gets to around 40% and also leaving it charging over night, is this the wrong thing to do?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering how frequently we should charge our devices, I understand our batterys detoriate over time and I have read that letting your battery drop below 20% will speed up this process but I am often charging my device when it gets to around 40% and also leaving it charging over night, is this the wrong thing to do?

The main thing is to try not to let the battery drain completely. 40% is a good area. Don't freak out if you get to 15%.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
where does this information come from? I always thought u wanted to charge it as few times as possible and not leave it plugged in after it's fully charged. why does a low % hurt longevity?

either way I'll just replace it when the time comes. it doesn't seem too complicated

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
where does this information come from? I always thought u wanted to charge it as few times as possible and not leave it plugged in after it's fully charged. why does a low % hurt longevity?

either way I'll just replace it when the time comes. it doesn't seem too complicated

Sent from my Verizon Wireless G2, using unlimited data :)

That's just how lithium based batteries are. They don't like being fully discharged as it shortens their life.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I would charge once it gets to 10%. I base this on what is recommended in the manual.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

uarobert

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I talked to a verizon tech coach today , He said that these batteries don't have memories like the old ones, and you could charge them when you think you might need the extra battery time. Also, they shut off the charging when 100%, so no worries about over charging.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I talked to a verizon tech coach today , He said that these batteries don't have memories like the old ones, and you could charge them when you think you might need the extra battery time. Also, they shut off the charging when 100%, so no worries about over charging.
This has nothing to do with the "memory effect" but everything to do with reduced capacity by deep cycling the battery excessively so that "tech" was way off. Two completely problems with two completely different causes. The former was an issue with reduced capacity over time due to NOT allowing the battery to discharge fully and could be remedied by actually running battery all the way down and recharging to restore capacity and was an issue with Ni-Cad's. "Memory" meaning if you only let the battery drop down to 30% before recharging over time the battery would "forget" the extra capacity and only be able to hold 70% of the original charge, for example....not an issue anymore. The latter is reduced capacity over time caused by running the battery all the way down regularly. Li-Ion batts ideally like to be around 40% but since that is terribly impractical/impossible to maintain best practices include charging more frequently vs one big charge at with 8% battery left. Technically speaking, charging the battery to 100% isn't good for it either but this has much less of an impact on long-term capacity than running it down does. That's the one to avoid and I personally try to not let my battery ever get below 25%. And no, this charging regimen won't mess with reported battery level accuracy since android's battery stats are reset after every full charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2