Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SactoKingsFan
  • 1 Post By Megaroad
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Benefits to rooting G2?

    I've had iPhones, jail broke them all. RAZR Maxx HD was my first android, rooted it. Now I've owned the G2 since cyber Monday and find myself wondering if I even want to root or not. Its already quite snappy, has great battery life, overall wonderful performance, and I don't need to remove bloat since I have more than 20 gigs available. Also, I dont do ROMs. Someone please give me some reasons for rooting this one.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I see no benefit in rooting at all (on any phone). Stock is perfectly fine for my needs.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    I see no benefit in rooting at all (on any phone). Stock is perfectly fine for my needs.
    And I do understand that for some folks. My RMHD almost had to be rooted to see its real potential, mainly do to always running bloatware.

    I'm not seeing the "need" to root the G2, just curious why those who have rooted did. Might talk me into doing it if there's a reason I over looked.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    sicario666's Avatar
    AndroidSkull

    Posts
    3,444 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,676 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Mainly to free up space. Verizon bloatware. Since there is no SD slot. 4g tethering. Change the look and speed of your device. I haven't rooted mine yet because I don't have a pc to use.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  5. #5  
    mc4nam's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I have been debating getting the G2 and the only reason I would ever root is this camera mod - Mod for the LG G2 Brings 120 fps and 4k Ultra HD Video Recording – xda-developers

    The stock camera application available for the device allows it to take 1080p video at 60 fps. But with xdabbeb’s mod, you can now capture 4k Ultra HD video at 30 fps or standard 720p video at 120 fps. In addition, this mod also allows you to enable HDR in your videos, and ISO 1600 for stills. And to add extra polish to your videos, the mod also allows you to enable electronic image stabilization in addition to the hardware optical image stabilization offered by the camera lens.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    I have been debating getting the G2 and the only reason I would ever root is this camera mod - Mod for the LG G2 Brings 120 fps and 4k Ultra HD Video Recording xda-developers
    That camera mod is the only reason I've considered rooting mine. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking hard about doing it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    There are several reasons why one would root the G2.

    >Remove or freeze bloatware
    >Get rid of ads with AdFree
    >improve music sound quality with Viper4Android
    >camera mod w/ 4k HD and 120fps video
    >G Flex Split View mod
    >Xposed framework to tweak UI
    >flash modified kernel for better battery life
    >flash custom ROMs
    >enable group messaging
    >disable CIQ
    >several apps require root


    Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM
    Thanked by:
    Krysaenaar likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    There are several reasons why one would root the G2.

    >Remove or freeze bloatware
    >Get rid of ads with AdFree
    >improve music sound quality with Viper4Android
    >camera mod w/ 4k HD and 120fps video
    >G Flex Split View mod
    >Xposed framework to tweak UI
    >flash modified kernel for better battery life
    >flash custom ROMs
    >enable group messaging
    >disable CIQ
    >several apps require root


    Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM
    Forgot all about adfree. Split view would be nice as well. Thanks for posting.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    On the Verizon model, it shows rooted or unrooted in the status. If I root, is there a way to easily revert back to stock and change the status back to unrooted? Only concern is in the event of a warranty issue.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    I have been debating getting the G2 and the only reason I would ever root is this camera mod - Mod for the LG G2 Brings 120 fps and 4k Ultra HD Video Recording – xda-developers
    This is one of the main reasons i am thinking about rooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    There are several reasons why one would root the G2.

    >Remove or freeze bloatware
    >Get rid of ads with AdFree
    >improve music sound quality with Viper4Android
    >camera mod w/ 4k HD and 120fps video
    >G Flex Split View mod
    >Xposed framework to tweak UI
    >flash modified kernel for better battery life
    >flash custom ROMs
    >enable group messaging
    >disable CIQ
    >several apps require root


    Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM
    These are the rest! lol

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jones View Post
    On the Verizon model, it shows rooted or unrooted in the status. If I root, is there a way to easily revert back to stock and change the status back to unrooted? Only concern is in the event of a warranty issue.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I dont think there is if i understand this root checker thing correctly. Its kinda like samsung knox counter on the s4 and s5, once its tripped, its tripped. Would be AWESOME to be wrong though!

    TO THE OP... it looks like your on verizon so you should be good but incase you are on tmo, make sure you follow these instructions as you would have to downgrade before root.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    There are several reasons why one would root the G2.

    >Remove or freeze bloatware
    >Get rid of ads with AdFree
    >improve music sound quality with Viper4Android
    >camera mod w/ 4k HD and 120fps video
    >G Flex Split View mod
    >Xposed framework to tweak UI
    >flash modified kernel for better battery life
    >flash custom ROMs
    >enable group messaging
    >disable CIQ
    >several apps require root


    Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM
    Hey, I just rooted my G2 with Towelroot, installed SuperSU and G2 Xposed, and Autorec(although haven't run it as I don't understand exactly what it is for/when to use it). What is my next step?

    I went ahead and changed the softkeys on the G2 with Xposed - that was my biggest issue with the phone so far. I know I need to install recovery and backup but I'm kind of lost specificially what apps and what to do in what order. Thanks
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I am very happy with the stock interface and function of the phone and really dont have any desire to flash custom roms or make any major changes. I was not happy with the camera. A couple of months ago I finally rooted my AT&T G2 with ioroot25 ([ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!] - xda-developers). It was super easy. I did not install Autorec or custom recovery as I dont want to flash custom roms.

    I downloaded and installed Xdabbeb's camera mod 3.1 ([MOD] Xdabbeb's Camera/Video v3.1.0 [Full G Pro 2 port] - xda-developers). It was a simple .apk file that I then installed. The results were amazing. The camera software is a port from the G Pro 2, including magic focus and other adjustments to things like shutter speed to stop the motion blur. There is also video improvements but I dont really use the video.

    Last week when the Knock Code update came out I couldnt take it because I was rooted. I used this tool ([FIRMWARE] Flash KitKat the EASY Way!!!! or Go back to JellyBean - xda-developers) to unroot. It worked and I was able to take the update. I then rooted again (using an updated ioroot found here [ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!] - Post #869 - XDA). I then re-installed Xdabbeb's camera mod and I'm back in business, now with knock code.

    There is more that can be done but its not something I am concerned about. The camera mod is worth rooting for. Its that much of an improvement.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    Hey, I just rooted my G2 with Towelroot, installed SuperSU and G2 Xposed, and Autorec(although haven't run it as I don't understand exactly what it is for/when to use it). What is my next step?

    I went ahead and changed the softkeys on the G2 with Xposed - that was my biggest issue with the phone so far. I know I need to install recovery and backup but I'm kind of lost specificially what apps and what to do in what order. Thanks
    I suggest starting with ROM Toolbox, Viper4Android and custom recovery

    ROM Toolbox: you can freeze bloatware, change boot animation, adjust performance, etc. from this app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iberty.toolbox

    Viper4Android: V4A is great if you listen to a lot of music. Will greatly improve sound quality.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2191223

    Custom Recovery: Get custom recovery if you want to flash custom ROMs or make a complete backup of G2. I suggest TWRP.

    -edit-

    Autorec is supposed to install TWRP. If TWRP has been installed I suggest creating a nandroid backup.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    Last edited by SactoKingsFan; 06-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I installed Viper4Android and am playing around with it now. I did create a back up with TWRP.

    Where do I get Adfree? Or is that just a setting in ROM Toolbox?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by philosopherisdog View Post
    I installed Viper4Android and am playing around with it now. I did create a back up with TWRP.

    Where do I get Adfree? Or is that just a setting in ROM Toolbox?
    Here's a link to Adfree apk.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...rsion-t2350984

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACME Guy View Post
    I downloaded and installed Xdabbeb's camera mod 3.1 ([MOD] Xdabbeb's Camera/Video v3.1.0 [Full G Pro 2 port] - xda-developers). It was a simple .apk file that I then installed. The results were amazing. The camera software is a port from the G Pro 2, including magic focus and other adjustments to things like shutter speed to stop the motion blur. There is also video improvements but I dont really use the video.

    There is more that can be done but its not something I am concerned about. The camera mod is worth rooting for. Its that much of an improvement.
    Thanks for the great post. I just installed the camera app. Will start tinkering around with it.

    Any suggestions for the settings for the camera app (for just regular all-around good performance)?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I changed the size from 10MP (16X9) to 13MP (4:3). Everything else I have left on Auto and have been really impressed with the improvements. I made the same changes on the old camera app as well. The focus speed is much better and the motion blur greatly improved and eliminated in most casual shots.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Benefits to rooting G2?

    I'm not too interested in flashing roms at the moment, because the stock software has worked for me without problems, whereas on my last phone every rom was at least a little buggy (occasional force-closes, and having to reboot the phone now and then to make something work). However, if someone comes up with a stable G3-based rom I might eventually give it a shot. I'll probably eventually at least root even if I don't flash any roms. But my phone is still pretty new so I'm not bored.
    Thanked by:
    mary beth hale likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
  2. PC to Samsung S5 SD Card won't tranfer.
    By Pacific_Skipper in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions