Joining the LG G2 crowd tomorrow. 1st things I should do to the phone?

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all the advice on this great forum I decided to get an LG G2. I got it for $348 total through T-Mobile so I decided that was a good enough deal to upgrade from my Galaxy S3.

So, to all the G2 pros here, what are the things you recommend I do to the phone before I switch to make it as best as possible?

1. I assume it will not come updated so update to Kit Kat before I do anything else to it or even transfer from my from my GS3?
2. Use My Backup pro via WiFi to transfer all of my stuff to it from the GS3?

What else? I assume since it has been out a while you guys have figured this thing out and optimized it to the max.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, replies, and opinions.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Yup, exactly this... Then root it with ioroot25, install Xposed, and G2 Tweakbox, and continue setting up.

Thanks for the input. I am complete dummy when it comes to rooting phones. I did a search and id not find how to do this. Can you point me there?

Also, what benefits does this give the phone? I was tempted to root anyways because I have been trying to read about xdababbs camera mod and I think that requires rooting.

Thanks

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You searched ioroot25 and got nothing... :confused:

it was the first thing that popped up in Google for me: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!]

The main advantage of rooting is customization, if that isn't important to you, then skip it. I use it mainly for only a handful of things... add a Recent Apps/Multitask button, hide the GPS and NFC icons to save space in the status bar, hide status bar time display on lockscreen, disable camera shutter sound, and add a record button when on a call ... all of which are not in the stock ROM as options but added by Xposed modules. I have never used the camera mod you mentioned, so I can't speak to that since I either use the Google camera or the stock one with no issues.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
You searched ioroot25 and got nothing... :confused:

it was the first thing that popped up in Google for me: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!]

The main advantage of rooting is customization, if that isn't important to you, then skip it. I use it mainly for only a handful of things... add a Recent Apps/Multitask button, hide the GPS and NFC icons to save space in the status bar, hide status bar time display on lockscreen, disable camera shutter sound, and add a record button when on a call ... all of which are not in the stock ROM as options but added by Xposed modules. I have never used the camera mod you mentioned, so I can't speak to that since I either use the Google camera or the stock one with no issues.

Thanks. I searched it on this specific forum 1st and found info to go do it but not where. I should have used google 1st.

Will I have any problems if I choose to just use it pure stock for a while and then root it later? I guess I was reading somewhere to back up my phone with Nandroid before I try to root?

I have been reading a lot about some Kit Kat issues after update but if I Just perform the update and then Factory Reset I should be fine right?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I searched it on this specific forum 1st and found info to go do it but not where. I should have used google 1st.

Will I have any problems if I choose to just use it pure stock for a while and then root it later? I guess I was reading somewhere to back up my phone with Nandroid before I try to root?

I have been reading a lot about some Kit Kat issues after update but if I Just perform the update and then Factory Reset I should be fine right?
You can root at anytime, there is no need to do it immediately.

I have never backed up before rooting, in fact, often root is required to install custom recovery, and that is required to do a nandroid backup. There is no real reason to have this if you are stock, or stock rooted.

Most KitKat issues are related to remnants of the old OS, data, or apps, a FDR generally takes care of this.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Get Nova launcher, google keyboard, a nice icon pack and tweak a little in the developer settings...

Posted via Android Central App

Why? I like Nova but to use Knock off the stock launcher is required and kind of nice actually. Keyboard I get, prefer Perfect Keyboard though on G2. What Dev tweaks do you use?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I have not even got this phone yet and now I am worried about the camera focus issues indoors? I realize it is not a DSLR but I am hoping I can take quality pictures and videos of my 18 month old son on the fly.

Would I be happier if I just rooted it right out of the box and did Xdabbeb's camera mod right out of the box? ([MOD] Xdabbeb's Camera/Video v1.6.1/2.2.1 [4kUHD | 120fps | MagicFocus] - xda-developers)

I assume there is not a need to back up the phone if I do all of this before I even put anything on it? I can always do factory reset right?

Can someone send me a link to "Rooting the LG G2 for dummies"?

I assume I just go to this link on my phone and follow these instructions to root - http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/ioroot/ioroot25.zip

Once I am done with that, go to this link on my phone and follow instructions to ad camera mod - http://d-h.st/DnK

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have not even got this phone yet and now I am worried about the camera focus issues indoors? I realize it is not a DSLR but I am hoping I can take quality pictures and videos of my 18 month old son on the fly.

Would I be happier if I just rooted it right out of the box and did Xdabbeb's camera mod right out of the box? ([MOD] Xdabbeb's Camera/Video v1.6.1/2.2.1 [4kUHD | 120fps | MagicFocus] - xda-developers)

I assume there is not a need to back up the phone if I do all of this before I even put anything on it? I can always do factory reset right?

Can someone send me a link to "Rooting the LG G2 for dummies"?

I assume I just go to this link on my phone and follow these instructions to root - Directory list

Once I am done with that, go to this link on my phone and follow instructions to ad camera mod - Dev-Host - xdabbeb_g2_camera_kk_dist_v2.2.1.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
I use the camera indoors for work all the time, taking pictures of data racks, servers, wiring, phone systems, etc. and have never had an issue with focusing, it is far superior in all aspects to my old Rezound (which I thought had a very good camera).

When installing this mod, you are flashing data to the system, it will be there even after a factory reset, so no, a factory reset will NOT remove the camera and put the stock one back... You would have to flash the original camera back or do a full factory reflash.

Rooting the G2 is simple, even for a "dummy" with ioroot25: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROOT] Root your G2 [ATT|VZW|TMO|KT|RGS|BELL|TELUS|OPEN] [Yay!]

Then after that you will need a custom recovery, which is possible on KK for the G2, you would need to install via Flashify/FreeGee or another method after the device is fully rooted. Without it, installing the camera mod would be very difficult or almost impossible.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but will I be able to upgrade this new Lg G2 without putting my SIM in it? I assume I can just turn it on and do it via wifi before I activate or put my SIM in it?

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but will I be able to upgrade this new Lg G2 without putting my SIM in it? I assume I can just turn it on and do it via wifi before I activate or put my SIM in it?

Do you mean the Kit Kat update? Yes, I updated mine to Kit Kat without a sim card in it.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean the Kit Kat update? Yes, I updated mine to Kit Kat without a sim card in it.

Yes. Thanks! I am going to update to Kit Kat and do a full factory reset like suggested above. You just did it via wifi because the phone said an over the air update was waiting I assume?

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Thanks! I am going to update to Kit Kat and do a full factory reset like suggested above. You just did it via wifi because the phone said an over the air update was waiting I assume?

I actually went into "About Phone" and there's an option in there to check for updates. When I clicked that it said there was an update ready. But yeah, just via wi-fi. I haven't put a sim card in yet.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
No Sim Card? I assume you just got it and are testing before you move all your stuff to it? What phone did you move from?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood