Thinking of taking my Galaxy S5 back for an LG G2

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok, am I crazy or not? I honestly hadn't touched the g2 til I went to go pick up my s5 on launch day. Needless to say I was more than impressed. Almost didn't pick up the s5 that day!

I need some advice. Here is my situation. I am on tmobile jump (the old plan that I can trade in every 6 months no questions asked). I have had htc for 2 years (one s, then the m7) and while I love htc honestly, I need something different and I can't deal with ultra pixel crappy pictures any more.

I have 2 days including today that I can return the s5 and am SERIOUSLY considering the g2. I know the g3 is coming soon, but not soon enough.

What do you guys think? Am I nuts? I am just completely unimpressed with the s5 honestly. It does everything just fine, so I can't really place my finger on why, but it just doesn't do anything for me. There is nothing to love about it. The camera is great but not everywhere, the screen is pretty nice but it's a BIG device for only 5.1" (the g2 feels much smaller in hand).

Looking for suggestions. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Thinking of taking my s5 back for a g2

Go for it. Then get the QuickView case to go with it.

G2 has been one of the best phones I've had. Previous phones were: iPhones 1-4S, S III, S4.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anybody in the G2 forum area will say stick with the s5 since we all picked up the G2. To me the smaller form factor, better battery and brighter screen is why I picked it over the s4.

The 801 processor on the s5 isn't that big of a step over the 800 in the G2 and I hate all the bloat ware on the s5 that the G2 doesn't have.

I do like Samsung's split screen better than slide aside but I find I don't use it often enough on a phone to matter. Tablets are another story, split screen rocks there.

Once you get used to knock on/off and the buttons on the back of the G2 it will be very hard to go back to anything else I think. Least it's that way for me.

Beyond that I don't think the average user would be able to really tell a difference in daily use. As the G2 is older if it's also cheaper I think that would be the biggest winner for me if I were buying a new phone today like you are.

SQUIRREL!!!

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I don't think anybody in the G2 forum area will say stick with the s5 since we all picked up the G2.
SQUIRREL!!!

Not necesarrily. Most of the people in here PROBABLY picked up the phone long before now and have had months to get all the good and the bad out of it. at least that was my thought... get deeper insight from people that have had the device the longest so i get the good with the bad... but i have been looking at a lot of reviews, comments, and everything, and its really hard to find something too bad about it.

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Samsung is to Android as the I phone is, well, to Apple I guess. Follow the sheep to an inferior product just because everyone else does. TouchWiz has been over written so many times, no matter what kind of processor is in it, there will always be a slight lag to it. Always.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

The G2 is great. I could conformably recommend it

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Well I did it and so far I am very happy with the decision! Honestly this phone is awesome. Even just the ergonomics and the way it fits is great. I had kinda thought of LG as the knock off samsung (let's be honest there is a lot of copying going on here) but LG did it so much better on the software side! It's a lot of really nice little things I think that really set it apart (that and the no lag lol)

Only thing I am still puzzled about is the camera. It got great reviews and I have heard a lot of great stuff but my pics don't seem to echo that at all. Colors are a little washed out and it's kinda slow to focus. I have had it less than a day so we will see how it fairs as time goes on but am I missing something?

lucverhoeven

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Go for the G2. The G3 isnt that much of an upgrade and I think 5.5inch is too much and the 4K Hd screen will suck battery and cpu dry. If you can get a G2 32 gb for about 450 to 500 dollar...GO FOR IT AND LEAVE THE BORING S5 !!!!!

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I did. And it's awesome. Just focusing in the camera is a little slow.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I find the camera slow to focus sometimes as well. I get great pictures but if the subject is moving and the light is dim forget it.

I just received a new G2 as I had a screen issue on my old one. The new unit is definitely taking better quality pictures as it's processing light better. I'm not sure if it's faster yet as I haven't played with the new G2 much because I still need to transfer info from my old phone. Hopefully it's faster though.

It's interesting that you took the S5 back for the G2. I figured people might do that with the M8 and S5. The G2 is way under rated IMO, the battery, screen, speed, and even quality of pictures are outstanding. It's just slower to focus sometimes.

Posted via G2 + Nova

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I find the camera slow to focus sometimes as well. I get great pictures but if the subject is moving and the light is dim forget it.

I just received a new G2 as I had a screen issue on my old one. The new unit is definitely taking better quality pictures as it's processing light better. I'm not sure if it's faster yet as I haven't played with the new G2 much because I still need to transfer info from my old phone. Hopefully it's faster though.

It's interesting that you took the S5 back for the G2. I figured people might do that with the M8 and S5. The G2 is way under rated IMO, the battery, screen, speed, and even quality of pictures are outstanding. It's just slower to focus sometimes.

Posted via G2 + Nova

Yeah. I agree. Definitely under rated. You know one of the things I honestly like most is lg is actually using the screen real estate WAY better. I mean this is a 1080p phone (as is the s5) and the Home screens, settings and such actually feel like it is. On the s5, the icon grid for you home pages is still 4x4...everything is HUGE... I had 4x4 icons running gingerbread on a vga screen.

The camera definitely takes some getting used to but it does take nice pics after it focuses!

Have you tried any screen protectors? I am a little worried about the curve on the edge of the glass being an issue.

burt brutal

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Had the G2 for a month now. Had nothing but iPhones before that and I can honestly say I will never go back - Never!
The G2 is as good as all the reviews claims. As for the camera - ya I agree it takes getting used to. I have been using google camera for last couple days. Digging it. May want to give that a go and see what you think. Congrats on the G2! Good choice!

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I prefer the back material on the S5 to the back material on the G2. But I prefer the G2's form factor (ie, small bezels) to the S5's. The S5 camera is supposed to be a little better, but the G2 battery life is supposed to be a little better. Their stock UI's are probably a wash. The S5 has more up-to-date specs, but both phones' specs should be fine for the next 2 years. I would say do it if getting the G2 saves you a couple hundred bucks (that's why I got the G2).

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I DEFINITELY agree on the soft touch back of the s5, feels much better. However, i am a case guy, and once i get one on this thing, it will be almost perfect! I can say batterylife so far (only had it a few days) seems to be on par with what i was getting on the s5 too (which i thought the batterylife was excellent on the s5). I have to say though... IMO, LG did a MUCH better job with the UI! I like it a TON more than touchgiz honestly.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Go for the G2. The G3 isnt that much of an upgrade and I think 5.5inch is too much and the 4K Hd screen will suck battery and cpu dry. If you can get a G2 32 gb for about 450 to 500 dollar...GO FOR IT AND LEAVE THE BORING S5 !!!!!

A bit early to be knocking the G3 don't you think? At least wait until it's announced or even better released.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Enigma07

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Had an M8 and traded the graceful beauty of it for the powerhouse of the G2. Believe all the battery hype, I cannot kill mine.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I'd add this for your consideration.
My friend at work just got the S5, so out of curiosity I compared the size of it to my G2. The S5 without a case is the exact same size as my G2 with an Incipio Dual Pro case. Yet they both have the same size screen.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Specs have leaked

I still think it's too premature to knock what type of device the G3 will be prior to it even being released. Speculate sure but there are many unknowns until LG decides to officially release it's next iteration of the G2....

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2