Possibly Converting

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody! So, I haven't had an android in a very long time. The last one I had was extremely frustrating and almost never worked correctly. I am on T-Mobile and am due for a JUMP upgrade on May 7th. I am currently using a Lumia 925 with 8.1 preview on it. I have loved the ecosystem and it has been the best I have used to date.The only problem is there are a lot of apps that I really want to use that windows phone developers have all but abandoned and really want access to these. The next device I am looking at is the LG G2. I almost picked it over the Lumia when I got it last November and it was the closest second choice. I know the G3 will come out, but the price on the G2 is unbelievable right now compared to what it was and it's a waste of money to pay into JUMP and not use the upgrade on time.

I need someone to sell me on this phone over any others on T-Mobile. I looked at the new HTC M8 and didn't really dig it, though the speakers are really nice. And I know I'll miss the hardware camera button on my Lumia, so no need to point that out to me.

Thanks a ton!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a G2, but I just thought I'd make a couple of remarks. What frustrated you about your last Android phone? If it had to do with some of the fancy added features, then you might want to consider a Nexus device instead of one of the flagships from the other big companies, because phones like the G2 (and upcoming G3), the Samsung Galaxy line, and the HTC One's are all going to have a lot of added features and modifications to the basic Android UI that might end up causing frustration if (a) you have no need for them, (b) they end up being a little glitchy, and (c) they degrade performance (even slightly) due to the CPU/RAM/battery that's required. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of satisfied customers out there who love those features and modifications. But which phone is right for you really depends on what you want to do with it.

So my suggestion would be to consider the Nexus 5 as well (or possibly the rumored upcoming Nexus 6, whenever that will materialize). For me, the only downside to the N5 is the decidedly average battery, but everything else about the device is smooth and fast.

Higguns

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a G2 and it's pretty much flawless. Every phone I've had had something annoying about it except the G2.

My JUMP date is May 11th and I have no idea what phone I'm going to get. All of these phones have negatives that will make me kick myself for giving up the G2.

Posted via Android Central App

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response! My biggest gripe was that it was unbelievably slow. This was the Gingerbread version, and I'm sure that there are lots of improvements now that make the phones not constantly freeze and just be crawling slow. I have considered the fact that the custom versions of the OS may change the experience a lot, but I also know that a lot of the features can be turned off if they get too annoying. I considered the Nexus 5 and really enjoyed playing with my brother's, but the battery was a big factor in me deciding not to get that one, as you mentioned.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My biggest gripe was that it was unbelievably slow

You really shouldn't run into this problem any more with anything midrange or above. The Moto G, which is priced like a budget-to-midrange phone, is often described as performing like a flagship.

I think you'll be happy with any of the phones that you or anyone else here has mentioned!

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a G2, but I just thought I'd make a couple of remarks. What frustrated you about your last Android phone? If it had to do with some of the fancy added features, then you might want to consider a Nexus device instead of one of the flagships from the other big companies, because phones like the G2 (and upcoming G3), the Samsung Galaxy line, and the HTC One's are all going to have a lot of added features and modifications to the basic Android UI that might end up causing frustration if (a) you have no need for them, (b) they end up being a little glitchy, and (c) they degrade performance (even slightly) due to the CPU/RAM/battery that's required. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of satisfied customers out there who love those features and modifications. But which phone is right for you really depends on what you want to do with it.

So my suggestion would be to consider the Nexus 5 as well (or possibly the rumored upcoming Nexus 6, whenever that will materialize). For me, the only downside to the N5 is the decidedly average battery, but everything else about the device is smooth and fast.

Imo this is not a good idea. Honestly stock android imo is boring and really wont impress many except maybe an android enthusiast (at least in my experince). I just took back a galaxy s5 to get this g2 and I can tell you I am not regretting it. I am actually very impressed by everything (hardware and even the software ) However, I could HIGHLY recommend either the htc m7 or m8 (depending on budget) and you just can't go wrong. Stick with a flagship phone from a major manufacturer and you should be good. If you get a mid range phone, you are on your own. Lol

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a G2 and it's pretty much flawless. Every phone I've had had something annoying about it except the G2.

My JUMP date is May 11th and I have no idea what phone I'm going to get. All of these phones have negatives that will make me kick myself for giving up the G2.

Go for an HTC I would say. I came from the m7 (cause my jump date hit 6 months and I can so
y not) and think they compare favorably with strengths and weaknesses in different areas.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Imo this is not a good idea. Honestly stock android imo is boring and really wont impress many except maybe an android enthusiast (at least in my experince). I just took back a galaxy s5 to get this g2 and I can tell you I am not regretting it. I am actually very impressed by everything (hardware and even the software ) However, I could HIGHLY recommend either the htc m7 or m8 (depending on budget) and you just can't go wrong. Stick with a flagship phone from a major manufacturer and you should be good. If you get a mid range phone, you are on your own. Lol

What I was trying to find out from the OP was what frustrated him about past Android phones. I would guess that it wasn't because they were boring, but rather because of some of the more common complaints, like lag, or too much unwanted bloatware. That's why I was suggesting the Nexus line as a consideration. Since the OP did confirm that his frustration was due to general slowness, then the Nexus 5 could still be a good idea, because it's fast and smooth. If stock Android seems boring, it can certainly be spiffed up with any number of alternate launchers, or easily rooted and flashed with custom ROMs.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Once you configure the phone it doesn't feel that much less lean than the Nexus. There's a lot of crap that hits you in the face when you first turn it on, but that dies down quickly enough. It has some stuff you can't remove like light brightness and volume sliders in the pulldown, but also has some genuinely useful features like double tapping to wake it up and put it to sleep, and the ability to easily transfer files to and from your computer over wi-fi. It runs smoothly and has nice animations. I think it's a good choice for the average person.

Higguns

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Go for an HTC I would say. I came from the m7 (cause my jump date hit 6 months and I can so
y not) and think they compare favorably with strengths and weaknesses in different areas.

I messed with the m8 at the store and the screen is just too small and the phone too tall. Dude at the store was raving about the G2 and suggested to just wait for the G3. I'll hold tight but if it's not coming until July, I'll just grab a Note 3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Once you configure the phone it doesn't feel that much less lean than the Nexus. There's a lot of crap that hits you in the face when you first turn it on, but that dies down quickly enough. It has some stuff you can't remove like light brightness and volume sliders in the pulldown, but also has some genuinely useful features like double tapping to wake it up and put it to sleep, and the ability to easily transfer files to and from your computer over wi-fi. It runs smoothly and has nice animations. I think it's a good choice for the average person.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong--I think the G2 is an excellent phone. I was deciding between that, the Moto X, and the Nexus 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2