Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zacharyw70
  • 1 Post By jmarkey77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Starting to eye up the LG G2.....impressions?

Hey guys! I decided to pop in this sub-forum because while I've never really considered this phone it's starting to come up in my mind.
    Currently I'm using an Iphone 5, and while I really like how stable, and smooth iOS is it has gotten to be a bit boring, and I wanted to change my phone OS to mix things up a bit. I've previously owned a lot of Android Devices so I know what to expect from the OS. I just have a couple of questions about this phone in particularly.

#1 How's the button configuration work? Can't really get a firm grip in retail stores with the anti-theft devices stores use, but how does it feel? Do you get used to hit after awhile?
    #2 Hows the camera? I take a lot of pictures with my phone so a good camera is an important feature to me.
    #3 Does the stock OS run smoothly? I'm not someone who will want to be rooting/flashing my device because I just don't want to go through the inconvenience of it all, and risk screwing my device up so how does the regular OS run?
    #4 Finally, does the phone suffer from any major defects? I actually recently got a Lumia 1520 only to find out it had a defective camera unit so I had to send it back. After that incident looking into it more made me realize the phone has a ton of defects across it's belt. In addition to this device I'm looking at the Galaxy Note 3, but this Screen Cracking issue that's been going around the internet has be worried about getting that.
    mumfoau likes this.

Default Re: Starting to eye up the LG G2.....impressions?

1 I love it, don't know how I'd go back to side buttons.

2 best camera I've ever had on a phone. I've seen a few better but not substantially better.

3 like butter!

4 none that I'm aware of. My wife owns one as well and both work flawlessly.

SQUIRREL!!!
    jimbo1mcm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkey77 View Post

2 best camera I've ever had on a phone. I've seen a few better but not substantially better.

3 like butter!

SQUIRREL!!!
    I agree with everything he said above.
    (You don't use the back buttons that much with the knock-knock feature, and when using them they feel very comfortable after a week or so.)

Posted via Android Central App

Just watch some reviews on youtube...phoneArena, pocketNow and so on

Posted via AC app

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post

#1 How's the button configuration work? Can't really get a firm grip in retail stores with the anti-theft devices stores use, but how does it feel? Do you get used to hit after awhile?
    #2 Hows the camera? I take a lot of pictures with my phone so a good camera is an important feature to me.
    #3 Does the stock OS run smoothly? I'm not someone who will want to be rooting/flashing my device because I just don't want to go through the inconvenience of it all, and risk screwing my device up so how does the regular OS run?
    #4 Finally, does the phone suffer from any major defects? I actually recently got a Lumia 1520 only to find out it had a defective camera unit so I had to send it back. After that incident looking into it more made me realize the phone has a ton of defects across it's belt. In addition to this device I'm looking at the Galaxy Note 3, but this Screen Cracking issue that's been going around the internet has be worried about getting that.
    I just got the phone a few days ago, so take my impressions with a grain of salt:

Re: #1: The rear buttons work, but I do find that I need to shift my grip a bit to press them in a comfortable way. I think this might be because I have relatively large hands, so the top of my index finger tends to be higher up on the back of the phone than would be ideal for pressing the buttons. I bet for some people they are in the perfect spot. One thing I'll say is, the feature that lets you tap twice to wake up the device or put it back to sleep is very nice, and I think that should be taken into account. Also, I consider the button placement to be a good tradeoff for the excellent screen-to-bezel ratio.

Re: #2: I haven't done much with the camera yet, so I can't comment.

Re: #3: It runs very smoothly, and although it may not be the prettiest UI, it does have more customizability than AOSP - stuff like being able to change around the softkey layout (although no option for a dedicated recent apps button yet), making the exact battery % display in the status bar, changing icons and icon size, changing font, changing what toggles get displayed in the pulldown, etc. So I think it's actually a pretty good choice for someone who likes to customize but doesn't like to use ROMs or 3rd party launchers, unless you really dislike what LG has done with it.

Re: 4: no obvious defects so far. I just got it though.

An additional comment: the back of the phone is very slippery plastic. I worry I'm going to drop it. That's my main complaint so far. Overall, I find the phone impressive.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the impressions guys, I have looked online and it's been a tough decision between the HTC M8, and this phone. Leaning towards this phone because the only thing I prefer the M8 for would be the SD Card.

Just get a 32gig G2...youll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    Thanks for the impressions guys, I have looked online and it's been a tough decision between the HTC M8, and this phone. Leaning towards this phone because the only thing I prefer the M8 for would be the SD Card.
    The M8 definitely has a nicer design. But the G2 is smaller and has a bigger screen and battery. It also supposedly has a better camera. And since it is cheaper, I think the G2 is good option.

However, if the price were the same, I probably would have gone for the M8...I love the design.

Best phone I've ever had, swapped my note 3 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkey77 View Post

3 like butter!

SQUIRREL!!!
    Pretty much this. If the price were= with the M8 it'd be a tough call but the big savings on the G2 makes it a hands down winner

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador