Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Launchers compatible with knock?

Are there any launchers that don't break the knock function to turn on/off the screen? I like the knock functionality but Nova seemed to eliminate it, except for the tiny sliver at the top for the notification bar, which was almost impossible for me to tap as my fingers are too large/clumsy. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Global Posts
    26,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Launchers compatible with knock?

Quote Originally Posted by src1425 View Post
    Are there any launchers that don't break the knock function to turn on/off the screen? I like the knock functionality but Nova seemed to eliminate it, except for the tiny sliver at the top for the notification bar, which was almost impossible for me to tap as my fingers are too large/clumsy. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Not saying you are wrong, but I would have thought that was more a hook in the ROM itself, and nothing to do with the launcher. I don't have the G2 myself, but there is a similar feature on the M8, and I am running Nova on that and it accepts the double tap to wake (the feature is kind of buggy, sometimes it works, but this I know is more software, than anything).
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply! You got my hopes up there for a second, as I started up Nova and tried double tapping all over different screens, and the only spot it works is the notification bar. With the stock homescreen it works without a problem. I've only tried Nova, but I thought other users might have had better luck with other launchers if it's a Nova-specific issue.

why not just download the Screen On/Off app and call it good?

Worked for me.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Just to chime in on what's been said already...

Knock ON works regardless of launcher, and knock OFF with a 3rd party launcher would need a launcher with gestures supported, which in turn could be used to start the free screen off app mentioned above.

As you probably know, on the stock LG Home launcher, knock off works when you double tap an empty area of a screen. On a 3rd party launcher, what *LOOKS* like an empty area of a screen actually is not (as far as the knock off code is concerned). That empty area that looks empty because there are no icons there, is actually skinned by the launcher. To put it another way, the 3rd party launcher sees that spot as empty, but the knock code doesn't see it as empty, because the launcher is a skin over the entire area of the stock screens. That's why, the notification area works (or in my case, worked -- see below), because the launcher skin does not cover that notification bar area. Or possibly the notification bar floats over the 3rd party launcher; either way -- the result is the same.

Now, all that said... knocking on the notification area no longer turns the G2 off for me. It wants to open my Calendar as if I were making an appointment. I can see that the reason is that when i pull down the notification shade, the date/time are displayed there, so my taps are interpreted by the G2 as if I desired to set an appointment. I have not spent any time looking for the cause nor a workaround because I do have a empty area on every screen and have screen off installed and working. But it seems that the KK upgrade did affect my ability to knock off using the notification area; whereas I used to be able to do it before upgrading from JB.
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G3 D-852 | Android 5.0.1 | Rogers Wireless
    Thanked by 3:

Download an app called Screen Off- https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....scrnoff&hl=en
    Then assign gesture in Nova for double tap to the Screen Off app. Double-tapping the screen will then work just like the stock launcher.
    Thanked by 2:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Brilliant - thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
    Now, all that said... knocking on the notification area no longer turns the G2 off for me. It wants to open my Calendar as if I were making an appointment. I can see that the reason is that when i pull down the notification shade, the date/time are displayed there, so my taps are interpreted by the G2 as if I desired to set an appointment. I have not spent any time looking for the cause nor a workaround because I do have a empty area on every screen and have screen off installed and working. But it seems that the KK upgrade did affect my ability to knock off using the notification area; whereas I used to be able to do it before upgrading from JB.
    You probably have Animator Duration Scale set to "off" in Developer Options. Set it to any value other than off, and knock-off will work again in the status bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
    You probably have Animator Duration Scale set to "off" in Developer Options. Set it to any value other than off, and knock-off will work again in the status bar.
    Actually I didn't have it off, as I checked (it was at .5) after seeing a post on XDA yesterday -- HOWEVER -- I then set it to 1.0 and then back to .5 and now it works 95% of the time (whereas it didn't work at all before). Possibly it's if I lingered too long on the first tap... or something. That said, thank you -- certainly the solution wasn't intuitive!
    Klotar -- Supervising Manager,
    The Department of Redundancy Department
    LG Optimus G3 D-852 | Android 5.0.1 | Rogers Wireless

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsells View Post
    Download an app called Screen Off- https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....scrnoff&hl=en
    Then assign gesture in Nova for double tap to the Screen Off app. Double-tapping the screen will then work just like the stock launcher.
    This worked brilliantly!

Posted via the Android Central App