Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.

It is because I use phone as GPS in landscape in my mountek CD magnet holder. Can't see it with Polarized sunglasses.

Don't want to use in portrait because phone blocks to much of my radio.

May seem minuscule but I have a 45 minute drive twice a day. Waze and Google Maps are used often.

This was not a problem with my S3.

I am only 5 days into my 14 day swap policy with T-Mobile. Anyone else have this same issue?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.

Return away.

So for your normal daily commute, you still need assistance of a GPS?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    Return away.

So for your normal daily commute, you still need assistance of a GPS?
    I realize it is a 1st world problem but I don't need GPS for my daily commute. It is just nice to direct me to alternative roots for traffic issues. Waze GPS app works pretty well for this and getting better in DFW. The police warnings are nice as well.

I do also use my phone for playing music and other stuff while it is on the mount and I just can't see it in landscape. I just shouldn't have to change my habits for a phone if other phones can fit my needs right?

I wonder if the future G3's QHD display will be amoled?

Huh, this is interesting. I didnt realize that polarized lenses would make it not visible in lanscape (though i can totally understand how it could) just never thought about it.

Man, that really sux for you. this phone is awesome. But if it doesnt work they way you use your phone take it back (though, i think you would be disappointed going from this to the s5) what are you thinking about getting instead?

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts
    ROM
    Beanstalk with Hells-Core

The technology of LCD used in this phone, and many LG phones, will not work with polarized lenses in some orientations, as you have discovered... This is not a frequent occurance and I think I only saw one reviewer mention it in passing. You could just use it in portrait, this is actually my preferred way for GPS navigation which I use on a regular basis. If you return the device, consider an AMOLED screen like the Samsung, as many high-end devices are now using LCD such as the HTC One M8 (there are a few reviews where using polarized lenses to view the screen was described as an issues) due to it's ease on battery and clear HD display. For a "comparable" phone, I don't think you would have much choice today other than Samsung today.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
    Thanked by:
    mc4nam 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    The technology of LCD used in this phone, and many LG phones, will not work with polarized lenses in some orientations, as you have discovered... This is not a frequent occurance and I think I only saw one reviewer mention it in passing. You could just use it in portrait, this is actually my preferred way for GPS navigation which I use on a regular basis. If you return the device, consider an AMOLED screen like the Samsung, as many high-end devices are now using LCD such as the HTC One M8 (there are a few reviews where using polarized lenses to view the screen was described as an issues) due to it's ease on battery and clear HD display. For a "comparable" phone, I don't think you would have much choice today other than Samsung today.
    Thanks for the input. I am going to try it again for a couple of days in Portrait to see if I can get used to it. I have 7 more days before I actually have to return it.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frettfreak View Post
    Huh, this is interesting. I didnt realize that polarized lenses would make it not visible in landscape (though i can totally understand how it could) just never thought about it.

Man, that really sux for you. this phone is awesome. But if it doesnt work they way you use your phone take it back (though, i think you would be disappointed going from this to the s5) what are you thinking about getting instead?
    What shall I get? I really do not know. Here are my options. Let me know what you guys would do:

1. Keep G2 and get used to it in my car in Portrait. Pros: I got an incredible deal at $348 for the LG G2 and $5 off my bill for 6 months. Another pro I noticed is my JUMP plan with T mobile. The deal with jump is You can jump once the phone is paid down to half of the cost, you can jump. I paid $348 but they put my Jump cost in the system at $448. So once it is paid down to $224 I could jump to whatever is else is out. I am already paid down to $348 so only $124 to get to jump if something comes out later this year I like better. Con is dealing with portrait while using in car.

2. Return and keep using S3. Pros: The S3 isn't an awful phone after using LG G2 for a few days. Yes LG G2 is far superior but I can live with S3 for a few months if needed before checking out next wave of new phones. Also, I wouldn't be paying the $14.54 per month extra toward the G2. Cons: Not having the super fast G2 and camera. Also, My S3 is not an LTE phone. Check out the speed I am getting on LTE with my G2!
    Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-g2-speed.png

3. Get an S5: Pros: It will do everything I need it to do and I am used to it coming from an S3. Not much of a learning curve. Cons: Expensive and a little big. T-mobile will let me keep $100 off of S5 and credits but that still makes it $520 vs $310 for G2. Also G2 is about as big as I really want to go for my needs.

I think my best options are to either keep it or return it and wait. After reading tons of reviews and trying to figure out the best phone for me I think it would be a MOTO X with
    LG G2 hardware specs and size. The always on google voice control features on MOTO X are really cool but current version really has a camera that it seems I would be unhappy with and screen a little small.

Good news is rumors are the MOTO X+1 supposedly coming late summer may have the specs I am looking for. If I keep my G2 I will have it paid down enough to JUMP or sell it and get the MOTO X+1 or save my $14.50 per month for a few months and use my S3 and let that money go toward the MOTO X or whatever else is out.

Thoughts on my crazy ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    to get an amoled screen you are probably right. though i can tell you from owning an s5 for 13 days (i am on tmo too with 14 day returns) and returning it to get the g2.... G2 > S5 all day long. the camera on the s5 IN THE RIGHT LIGHT is pretty awesome, but nothing super spectacular in less than perfect light. and the screen on the s5 is pretty awesome too (though i cant complain at all about the one on the g2 either). I think on the software side though, you would be unimpressed (especially coming from a g2 first). Kinda sux that there isnt really another alternative to get an AMOLED panel though. maybe the moto x, but if your on tmo and want to finance it thats never gonna happen (and probably a few steps backwards IMO)... tough situation for sure

Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    What shall I get? I really do not know. Here are my options. Let me know what you guys would do:

1. Keep G2 and get used to it in my car in Portrait. Pros: I got an incredible deal at $348 for the LG G2 and $5 off my bill for 6 months. Another pro I noticed is my JUMP plan with T mobile. The deal with jump is You can jump once the phone is paid down to half of the cost, you can jump. I paid $348 but they put my Jump cost in the system at $448. So once it is paid down to $224 I could jump to whatever is else is out. I am already paid down to $348 so only $124 to get to jump if something comes out later this year I like better. Con is dealing with portrait while using in car.

2. Return and keep using S3. Pros: The S3 isn't an awful phone after using LG G2 for a few days. Yes LG G2 is far superior but I can live with S3 for a few months if needed before checking out next wave of new phones. Also, I wouldn't be paying the $14.54 per month extra toward the G2. Cons: Not having the super fast G2 and camera. Also, My S3 is not an LTE phone. Check out the speed I am getting on LTE with my G2!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G2 Speed.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	115397

3. Get an S5: Pros: It will do everything I need it to do and I am used to it coming from an S3. Not much of a learning curve. Cons: Expensive and a little big. T-mobile will let me keep $100 off of S5 and credits but that still makes it $520 vs $310 for G2. Also G2 is about as big as I really want to go for my needs.

I think my best options are to either keep it or return it and wait. After reading tons of reviews and trying to figure out the best phone for me I think it would be a MOTO X with
    LG G2 hardware specs and size. The always on google voice control features on MOTO X are really cool but current version really has a camera that it seems I would be unhappy with and screen a little small.

Good news is rumors are the MOTO X+1 supposedly coming late summer may have the specs I am looking for. If I keep my G2 I will have it paid down enough to JUMP or sell it and get the MOTO X+1 or save my $14.50 per month for a few months and use my S3 and let that money go toward the MOTO X or whatever else is out.

Thoughts on my crazy ideas?
    holy crap thats fast!!! I get LTE here and have ZERO complaints on speed (usually 30 - 40) but thats NUTS!!!

My suggestion would be to try and use it in portrait if you can. the s5 although it doesnt seem "that" big, once i had it with a SLIM case, it was almost as big as my wifes note. Almost. Which is HUGE imo. i couldnt keep it in a pocket comfortably when i sat down (and i dont wear skinny jeans or anything like that). Again, personal preference, but i was really unimpressed with the s5 (it was pretty laggy too)
    Thanked by:
    mc4nam 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

So I did some adjustments to my car mount and will most likely keep the phone and use in portrait while wearing sunglasses. I got such a great deal on the phone and it is really cool. Here are some pictures of my set up. I got the Mountek from here - Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 2 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-20140426_165141_resized.jpg   Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-20140426_165145_resized.jpg   Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-20140426_165209_resized.jpg   Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-20140426_165218_resized.jpg   Hate to return my G2 because of Lcd but will probably have to.-20140426_165413_resized.jpg  

Where is it mounted to it is below the vents is there somewhere on your entertainment control head where you have it mounted

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk