Thinking of selling off G2 for HTC One M8, Thoughts?

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! Before I even start just let me say that I understand the answers to this question will all just be personal preference. That's what im looking for. :)

So, I have a black D803 LG G2, I swapped the black back for a white one, giving it the 'white nexus' look and I have AOSP PA flashed onto it.

I almost bought the M7 instead of the G2, but ended up going for the G2 obviously.I really liked the premium feel of the M7, but it was almost a year or so old when I bought my G2 so I didn't want to buy an outdatedish product.

So, I guess down to the reasons I want the M8.

- It's beautiful; I like the look of the G2, especially with the white back, but it just feels so..cheap. I'm terrified to use the phone without a huge case on it. I held the M8 at a local bestbuy today, and holy **** it feels wonderful.

- The BoomSound speakers: My G2 speakers arent bad with the mod I've installed. ( I can't remember the name of it, im sorry to who made it. ) some mod that made the speaker louder and more clear. But, at high volume it sounds really tinny. I consume a lot of media on my phone so the boomsound would be a plus.

- MicroSD slot: Now, this isn't a big deal. But it's cool. I dont use google play, so I have to save my music and things locally on my phone. Having an SD slot would be nice.

- SenseUI: I really like it. I like AOSP, but something about Sense is really attractive to me. And if I get bored of it I can flash AOSP. Where as with my G2 if I get bored of AOSP, Theres no way i'm going back to LG optimus UI. bleeeeeehhh

now for the reasons why I might keep my G2.

-Battery: apparently the battery is OK on the M8, but i'm getting a solid day and a half on my G2 and I don't like the idea of losing that.

-Not as physically big; I have small hands, it's kind of hard to hold my G2 already, And the M8 is much taller. So theres that.

Sorry to just rant on and ramble about this: but in reality i'm going to have to drop about 650$ to get an M8 ( I have my G2 on contract ) and just looking for some opinions, I know they might be bias 'cuz i'm in the G2 subforum, but eh..If you can try to keep it objective i'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks for listening,
-Brandon :)

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Both are great phones. You can't go wrong either way. The M8 camera is pretty controversial, but other than that it's a great phone.

Brandon Shea

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Ironically that's the only thing I DON'T care about. Other than using the camera for times of convenience (showing something rather than describing it ) I don't use the camera on phones. I'm not a go out and take pictures of trees kinda guy. hmmm

SmartphoneNerd

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I went from an M7 to a G2, to an M8...I prefer the M8. I liked my M7 a lot, too. I grabbed the G2 when I switched carriers. Sense is good for me, but I used Nova Launcher on the G2. I use the speakers at work for music, so the G2 doesn't come close. It's all preference, but you won't regret moving from the G2 to the M8...probably. The battery life on the M8 is close, but no, it's not the G2...

Posted via Android Central App

lucverhoeven

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the black g2 looks best and has a clean look up front. The htc metal is nice but not for that clean android nexusy look. As for speakers...if I want to listen to music or movies I would always use earphones...who listens to their music on a crappy phone speaker right? Even if its beats by dr dre. So personally, id stick with the lg. A thin plastiv Poetic case should br enough. You shouldnt drop the m8 either right? Its a phone!

Posted via AC app

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the look and feel of the M8, but it seems unwise to sell a phone for a more expensive one that's only slightly more powerful. Plus the G2 does have a significant advantage over the M8 in screen-to-bezel ratio.

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I went and looked at the M8 and also liked it, but didn't care for it being longer. The G2 is the largest I want for a phone and appreciate the lightweight...I've never once felt like the G2 was going to break and it didn't after being dropped (with a thin case) twice. To me, the M8 does does feel premium, but at the expense of weight & size, and it functions the same as any other smart phone out there. Camera was or could be an issue for me, and based on the reviews so far, I would probably be happier with the G2...and I've gotten used to the long battery life of the G2; Not sure how the M8 performs in this area. I like the speakers on the M8 and watching video was a good experience, but so is doing it on the G2 (speakers aren't as good, of course). If I had an older iPhone or my old windows phone, then I'd probably jump all over the M8...I wouldn't coming from the G2, unless, it breaks or gets lost.

posted from LG G2

Last edited:

Michaelk0105

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Still don't see why any one would need loud speakers on a phone, that is what earphones are for. I hate it when people play their music/videos through the speakers on their phone in public.... it's just so obnoxious.

The m8 does seem like a good phone other than the gimmicky camera, especially as it supports micro sd memory. The premium finish also seems nice, a colleague of mine is getting one soon, mainly on the strength of the feel.

I've still not seen anything to win me over the G2 yet. Maybe the G3 will be more interesting!

Jesus Janica

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you are interested in a HTC one m8 go for it,I have one and its been amazing,the battery life is great and with moderate usage I have gotten 2-3 days of battery life out of it without using any power saving modes,also the display is really nice,and the boom sound speakers are simply amazing,I would never go back to another phone that doesn't have front facing speakers,if you like consuming a lot of media on your smart phone then you can't go wrong with the M8,I highly recommend it.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-13-08-53-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-13-08-53-24.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 56

Rogue360

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've als contemplated the M8 but after just seeing the leaks for the G3, I think i'll be waiting. Looks stunning and I'm sure it'll boast an impressive spec.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The G3 will most likely have a back firing speaker, but I am holding out hope that they will have a more powerful speaker such as the one in the G Pro 2. The screen should be amazing for video playback. Then there's also rumored M8 Prime that might also have an improved display that you could wait on... The G2 is still one of the best if you can hold out for now.

Jastow

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Still don't see why any one would need loud speakers on a phone, that is what earphones are for. I hate it when people play their music/videos through the speakers on their phone in public.... it's just so obnoxious.

The m8 does seem like a good phone other than the gimmicky camera, especially as it supports micro sd memory. The premium finish also seems nice, a colleague of mine is getting one soon, mainly on the strength of the feel.

I've still not seen anything to win me over the G2 yet. Maybe the G3 will be more interesting!

There are many uses for good external speakers on a phone and everyone has different needs. I use my phone to play music in the mornings while getting ready, when working on the car or bike in the garage, at my desk at work (low volume), showing friends videos etc. The G2 works for the most part, but I wouldn't turn down better speakers if they were offered on the G2 replacement.

posted from LG G2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance