Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default battery since kitkat upgrade

Hey guys
    My g2 was doing fine with about 28 hrs of use after full charge. After then upgrade to kitkat it's around 18
    I noticed on Gsam that 32 for screen and most 70 percent for apps where in them the biggest is the kernel

Is that normal?
    Attaching scrnshot

Thanks in advance for any tips
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: battery since kitkat upgrade

battery since kitkat upgrade-screenshot_2014-05-17-12-10-24.jpg

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Did you do a factory reset after getting the update? If not, you should.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wow really?
    How do I backup everything the apps pics and music?

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by Amir Hadanny View Post
    Wow really?
    Yes, really... Although it doesn't appear to be a huge upgrade, under the hood you jumped up 2 major revisions of Android... A FDR is recommended any time a major OS level change update occurs (not minor updates though).

Apps are backed up by Google, pics&music just copy to PC via USB if not using an auto backup service, contacts should be on Google acct as well as common system settings, SMS/MMS use SMS Backup & Restore app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Wow really?
    You can back everything up with the LG Backup app that should be on your phone.

Just make sure to copy the backup off your phone before doing the FDR.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok so i've did FDR with good results for 2 days - i've got it on for 40 hours with normal use , and the Kernel use was on 40%.
    However, after 2 days, it came back to 60% and it now drains at 2.5% per hour and won't last 24 hours as usual...

I don't get it...
    I've uninstalled Skype which was the only thing i've done during those 2 days.

Any ideas?

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Ok so i've did FDR with good results for 2 days - i've got it on for 40 hours with normal use , and the Kernel use was on 40%.
    However, after 2 days, it came back to 60% and it now drains at 2.5% per hour and won't last 24 hours as usual...

I don't get it...
    I've uninstalled Skype which was the only thing i've done during those 2 days.

Any ideas?
    There are so many factors that determine battery life... From what you are saying there is not enough information to go on, if you really want to look at what is going on and know what is using the battery you will need to root and install GSAM or BetterBatteryStats, you need root for these to work properly in KitKat since Google thought it was important to secure battery stats away from apps because it could be dangerous. EIther of these apps will tell you exactly what is using the battery, not just the general "Google Service" or whatever it is, but will break it down to the exact process and how many times it is waking the device and for how long, exactly how much is used by the radios, syncing services, etc.

Honestly, with a cell phone, if you can make it through a normal day with normal to heavy use and not charge it, why complain?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

thanks for the reply.
    I'll elaborate, i'm a neurosurgeon and i'm on calls of 32 hours which was the reason i got this phoen in the first place.. I need a phone that lasts the entire shift without charging it.

I still feel sth is wrong since i get 1d 6h which is almot enough , but screen time is 3:31 which i saw it's pretty low

so the answer is root?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

rooted.
    what's next? Gsam shows the same stats as before root...

Global Posts
    1,229 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

rooted.
    what's next? Gsam shows the same stats as before root...
    Did you install this after rooting? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....rootcompanion

Can you post some full cycle screen shots of the main GSAM screen, Screen page, Phone Radio page, and App Sucker page set for time held awake?

I don't know about the hospitals you work in, but in the two I work in often the signal strength is pretty bad in some areas, this will cause the battery to drop quickly, are you using WiFi, disabling Google Now and Location Services (the two big battery suckers), change any Push syncs (like Exchange) to pull on 15-60 minute intervals.

Honestly, with 3.5 hours of screen time and 30 hours off the charger, this is not abnormal depending on use and installed apps, some people will get more, some less, it can vary a lot depending on a lot of things.

Oh, and seeing higher kernel battery usage is normal when you have a lot of sleep time on the device, the less "activity" it is doing, the more the kernel will show it is using battery, that is simply because other things are using it less and it is normal. On my Nexus 4 if I don't use it for several hours I can see the kernel holding it awake close to 80% of the time that it is held awake, very normal but slightly misleading, if your device is operating properly and you look at the actual time held awake, it is probably a fraction of the total time.