Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default buckets of water and G2s do not mix well....

Edit: title was misleading so just to say I know it is not supposed to be waterproof or resistant! I have changed the title now.

Yesterday, my G2 slid out of it's case and into a bucket of soapy water. Ironically, I was moving it out the way to prevent it getting splashed! I got the phone out within a second or so, but it was submerged. I dried it as best I could, but as it is a $%#@& unibody design, I couldn't really dry it out or pull the battery.

Worse than that, I couldn't switch it off. After a minute or so of erratic behaviour, the screen died. The back button was illuminated, but did nothing when held in. I plugged it in to try to recover data as a last resort, but after initially connecting to the pc, it then disappeared.

Fearing that all was lost on an uninsured phone, I left it in a dish of couscous (no rice in the house) for a few hours and hoped for the best. 6 months into a 2 year contract with a replacement cost of about 250-300 from eBay.

About 6 hours later, the screen awoke, erratic, but awoke. I rescued my data and hoped for a miracle.

24 hours later (after more couscous treatment), the phone is works. No erratic screen behaviour at all. Camara works, Bluetooth, WiFi the lot. Except the buttons on the back.... volume down is ok, the power button does wake it up but thinks it is now a volume button and volume up is both up and down at the same time. Believe it or nor, I now rely on knock on to use my device!

Not really sure of the moral of the story, other than act VERY quickly if you do get it wet and have rice/ couscous available at all times! And do not rely on the quickwindow case to hold the phone secure.....

Does anyone reckon the back buttons will come back to life anytime? Can live without them, but would be nice to come out unscathed!

I'm also considering insurance before anyone asks. It is the one exclusion in our contents policy too....
    Last edited by Michaelk0105; 05-27-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: silly title

Global Posts
    6,629 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: not so waterproof...or is it?

The G2 was never advertised as water proof or water resistant
    Anyway, if the buttons don't work anymore, I'd replace it if possible. I'n sure you could get by with non-functional buttons, but why do it when you can get it replaced?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: not so waterproof...or is it?

I know it is not waterproof or meant to be, title was a bit tongue in cheek! Have changed it now anyway.

How would one go about getting the buttons changed then? I imagine a fairly expensive repair job that would require the phone to be sent away?