Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unimpressed with G2 in low light situations

OK, here's the problem...I know the g2 could be good in low light but the software is holding it back.

I've noticed that the camera just wants to bump up the ISO in every low light situation no matter what. Normal, intelligent auto, HDR...in every mode it bumps up the ISO way too much which results in terrible looking pictures (brighter than the scene actually is and full of noise).

No problem I thought, I'll just manually set the ISO at 100-200 and then it will force the shutter to stay open longer to capture more light...except it doesn't. It keeps the shutter speed too fast which results in extremely dark pictures if I set the ISO.

I don't understand. This phone has OIS and the point of that is to keep the shutter open longer, except it doesn't. I came from a lumia with OIS and if I set the ISO to 200, I would get the perfect night shot every time (the picture would look exactly how it looked in real life, not overly bright and with minimal noise) because manually setting the ISO would force the shutter to stay open longer. It doesn't do this on the g2. Any idea why?

I noticed there are a couple camera mods out there. Do any of the mods address this issue?

Default Re: Unimpressed with G2 in low light situations

Xdabbeb's cam mod addresses the low light problem.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Looking at the details on that camera mod it sounds like it does exactly opposite of what I want. His changelog shows faster shutter and focus in night pics. The shutter wouldn't be faster if the shutter had to stay open longer to capture more light.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

I took these in a dark museum, no windows and very little light

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unimpressed with G2 in low light situations-lh5.googleusercontent.jpg   Unimpressed with G2 in low light situations-lh5.googleusercontent.jpg  

Is the flash ON in those pics?

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Nope, there was a bit more light in the first but both were dimly lit with no natural light

Posted via Android Central App

The question is at what mode/settings were the pics taken ....
    They look unusually noise free for low light shots.