Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By walkingagh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone app using battery?

The battery life on my G2 is really sucking. Right now I can barely make it through the day with about 2.5 hours screen time. The screen is the main culprit, but there are some other drains which are weird.
    1) I haven't made any phone calls today, but my "Phone" app is using tons of battery - 18% of usage. Is that just data use? It's been on WiFi almost the whole time and that says 2% (not pictured).
    2) Bluetooth is freaking off. But still shows at 4% of use.

I'd love to reclaim 25% of my battery life any ideas?

Phone app using battery?-screenshot_2014-06-12-13-28-48.jpg
    heron88 likes this.

Default Re: Phone app using battery?

The screen readings seem okay to me. Is it by any chance a new phone? It sometimes seems to take several charge cycles before the battery's muscles are fully flexed.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have had it for a few months. Battery has just been crapping out recently. Getting pretty frustrated.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    It sometimes seems to take several charge cycles before the battery's muscles are fully flexed.
    No. That is a myth. Lithium-based batteries do not need nor benefit from any 'conditioning', and there is no need to 'calibrate' the battery monitor.

It's just that when I started using my Lumia 1020, bought new, battery life was very poor for first few days, so bad in fact I thought the battery might be faulty. Then after a few charge cycles, all well.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    It's just that when I started using my Lumia 1020, bought new, battery life was very poor for first few days, so bad in fact I thought the battery might be faulty. Then after a few charge cycles, all well.
    Two things with new phones:
    1. You tend to play with them a lot, tweak them a lot and turn the screen on a lot just to gaze at how beautiful it is. This means that most people drain their batteries a lot quicker when they first get the phone because the screen is on more often and the phone is awake more often. Usually people get over it after a about a week and settle into 'normal' usage - so the battery 'seems' to magically 'come good'. In fact, you're just not using the phone as much.

2. The first day or so after you set up an Android phone a fair bit of background updating and syncing can go on (depending on your settings) to get your new phone all backed up in the cloud and your apps and stuff restored from the cloud. So in the initial few days after receiving your shiny new phone it can seem like the battery is draining pretty rapidly - it is, but it's a temporary thing.

The thing to realize is that neither of these phenomena have anything to do with 'conditioning' the battery. In fact the most charged your battery will ever be will be on day one. With Li-based batteries it's all downhill from there. They never get better with a few charge cycles, only marginally worse.

OzRob: Yes, I've come to think that No.2 is the most likely explanation. It might help if the manufacturers told us these things because there are no end of people who are baffled by apparent battery problems and conclude that theirs is a duff one.