Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up Video Games affect my phone a lot ?

So , i have my LG G2 for about 1 month now. The performance is perfect and the battery too. I can get my phone to last 3 full days before i charge it and i use it a lot ( phone, Wifi internet a lot , camera , apps , and some games )

Now i have found a new game that i became kind of addictive to it. I may be playing for like 2 or even 3 hours per day that game ( of course not consecutive ).

Its an RPG game , that is 15 mb to download but it has a lot of data to store, so its like 362 MB in total now. You can only play the game using the internet. I play it only via Wifi.

So now i recharge my phone once a day because the 2 or 3 hours of gaming is draining my battery. But i am afraid if this will brake my phone or something, i always have my phones for like 4-5 years and work perfectly so i dont want my PERFECT LG to start having problems because of a stupid game i became addicted to it.

So my question is : Will affect my phone A LOT if i keep playing like this ?

Thanks

Default Re: Video Games affect my phone a lot ?

Heat and frequent deep discharges will have a negative impact on long term battery health. Use Gsam battery monitor to keep track of battery temp and try to avoid deep discharges (90-30 or 80-20 is good).

And the battery won't last 4 years if you have to charge it every day.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    Last edited by SactoKingsFan; 06-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My friend i have read the article but its TOO scientific for me. I did not understand what discharge means or deep discharge , and what cycle means. Can you explain me in simple words ?

I have downloaded Gsam Battery Monitor and i will check the information and i will post some here if its something that will help.

Is the battery of LG G2 replacable ?

Discharge is the opposite of charging. Basically how much you drain the battery. Subtract the current battery level (before charging) from starting battery level (after charging) to determine depth of discharge.

Deep discharges are usually 70 or higher (full-20,90-10,100-30, 75-5, etc.) I try to go from 80-20 or 30 to avoid deep discharges.

Cycle refers to how many times charging and discharging have occurred. More deep discharging cycles will result in reduced battery longevity.

The G2 battery can be replaced but it's not a simple process.

Last edited by SactoKingsFan; 06-15-2014 at 02:24 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok so if i understood correct, If am charging now my phone and i unplug it at 90%, I should charge it again at 30% so it will not reach deep discharge ? ( 90-30 = 60 )

Is that the idea ?

The thing that the phone is getting hot while playing is normal right ? i heard all G2 phones are getting hot while gaming.
    The Gsam app shows me that the temperature now is 36 celsius ( and the phone is hot ) and before i started playing it was 32 degrees.

Yeah, charging it at 30 or before is good if unplugged at 90.

The phone getting hot while playing games is normal. Just monitor the temperature and try not to play similar games too long.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you very much for the information. You have been really helpful !!!
    Thanked by:
    mylesp 

No problem. Hope you enjoy your G2. It's a great phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    No problem. Hope you enjoy your G2. It's a great phone.

I understand the 90-30 thing but where do these numbers come from? I want to know of more variations lol

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
    I understand the 90-30 thing but where do these numbers come from? I want to know of more variations lol

It's the depth of discharge that matters when it comes to lithium-ion battery longevity.

It's the depth of discharge that matters when it comes to lithium-ion battery longevity.

So should I aim to only use half of what I unplugged at ? Say I charge to 80. I'll then charge when i get a little before or right at 40 % ? Or what's practical?

Sorry I'm new to this

Edit: what I plan to do is charge to 90 and only charge again at 60% but if I'll be using it more I'll charge again at 40-30% instead of 60. Is that good or no?

Last edited by mylesp; 06-16-2014 at 02:25 AM.

So should I aim to only use half of what I unplugged at ? Say I charge to 80. I'll then charge when i get a little before or right at 40 % ? Or what's practical?

Sorry I'm new to this

Edit: what I plan to do is charge to 90 and only charge again at 60% but if I'll be using it more I'll charge again at 40-30% instead of 60. Is that good or no?

Yeah, that's fine. I usually charge to 75-80 and let it discharge to ~30-20. If I forget to unplug at 80 and it fully charges I let it discharge to 40. That's how I charge my G2 and S2 Skyrocket.

Yeah, that's fine. I usually charge to 75-80 and let it discharge to ~30-20. If I forget to unplug at 80 and it fully charges I let it discharge to 40. That's how I charge my G2 and S2 Skyrocket.

Cool thanks!

Global Posts
    635 Global Posts

The numbers don't matter so much, the real point is that you don't run your phone dead all the time and then leave it uncharged. Lithium-based batteries don't like being held at either 100% charge or low charge for any length of time. Personally, I don't see the point of only charging to 90% or 80% unless you are not using for phone for a while. Charging to 100% will not harm the phone if you use it fairly often, and you'll get the benefit of a full charge for those unexpected times when you're not near a charger for a while.

Discharging is another matter. It is not recommended to regularly run your phone until it shuts itself off. With Lithium batteries you will get better longevity by charging more often. So any time the phone has dropped below 80% or 70% feel free to charge it again - no need to wait until it drops to 40% or 30% or some other arbitrary number. With Lithium batteries the number of charges isn't what counts towards battery degradation, but total charge time. Charging from a higher value takes less time, so, for example, charging once from 40% to 100% is the same, in terms of battery degradation, as charging twice from 70% to 100%.

The general rule of thumb is that your Lithium-powered device should spend 80% of it's life with somewhere between 95% and 20% charge in the battery. With the G2, if you charge it to 100% every night and use it normally every day, this is what would naturally happen. And if you occasionally run it dead or don't use it and leave it on full charge for a couple of days, don't stress about it. The phone battery will naturally degrade over time, and occasionally straying outside 'best practise' won't do much to hasten its demise.