Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By korab84
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Frightened to update to kitkat

I live in the UK and today I bought the G2. It is running android version 4.2.2 and it is prompting me to download the latest software update (presumably kitkat 4.4). I am a bit fearful of doing the update as I heard that the update has caused huge performance issues including severe battery drain and data connection drop outs. My wife had these exact issues when she bought the S4 last month and downloaded the update. Anyone in the UK who has recently downloaded this new update for the LG G2 who can comment and hopefully re-assure me that it is safe to update?

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Default Re: Frightened to update to kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by goobs10 View Post
    I live in the UK and today I bought the G2. It is running android version 4.2.2 and it is prompting me to download the latest software update (presumably kitkat 4.4). I am a bit fearful of doing the update as I heard that the update has caused huge performance issues including severe battery drain and data connection drop outs. My wife had these exact issues when she bought the S4 last month and downloaded the update. Anyone in the UK who has recently downloaded this new update for the LG G2 who can comment and hopefully re-assure me that it is safe to update?
    Install it without any fears...I live in Chicago and my LG G2 is running awesome.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 5 or LG G2
    mandoman28 likes this.

Had the same fears mate. Bought the phone in december 2013, and updatet to kitkat only 4 days ago! And the only reason i did it was because of the knock code. Just remember to do a factory reset after you update, and you should be fine. Had problems with getting LTE to work, but after i reset, the phone works fine - if not better and faster with kitkat

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

If he update is fine why would I need to do a factory reset? And wouldn't that take it back to the old operating system?

I preferred the older software on the G2 which, probably places me in the minority. However, KK is good but I do not think it's fully optimized for the G2 just yet. I say that because I experience lesser battery life than before, but I still get through a day without issue.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Adawg1203 View Post
    I preferred the older software on the G2 which, probably places me in the minority. However, KK is good but I do not think it's fully optimized for the G2 just yet. I say that because I experience lesser battery life than before, but I still get through a day without issue.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks. I don't think I'm gonna bother updating. Battery life is important to me and I'm quite happy with the current operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by korab84 View Post
    Install it without any fears...I live in Chicago and my LG G2 is running awesome.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 5 or LG G2
    Same here! Love it!

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goobs10 View Post
    If he update is fine why would I need to do a factory reset? And wouldn't that take it back to the old operating system?
    When you update the firmware on a phone you update the OS code in the permanent ROM. So I factory reset does not revert your phone back to the previous operating system, it just resets all settings and options for the current firmware you have installed to their original settings and erases all user data.

A factory reset is sometimes beneficial after an update because during the update process the updater saves your previous OS and app data and then reapplies it to the new OS. Because certain settings can be different between OS versions, sometimes this process has some unintended consequences and can cause issues. So an update followed by a factory reset ensures that no 'weird' legacy data is causing problems with the new OS. Of course it does mean you have to reinstall all your apps and configure everything again, so if you update the OS and don't have problems, you probably won't want to do a reset.

As you know there are lot of users faced problems after update but most of them are fixable but be careful when your Google play store not worked properly and never ever uninstall it........