Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Cool downloads within email (options yes/no ?)

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there is an email option in the LG G2, to simply "view" email attachments versus always having them "download" to a device folder?

It' a pain to always have an attachment automatically download into a folder. If you view an attachment once, it downloads to a default folder in the G2. Then, if you view the attachment again in the same email, it downloads second time, a third time, a fourth time, a fifth time, etc etc, "ad nauseam". The attachment will continue to download again, again, and yet again, each time you view it in the email.......you can end up with a lot of the same download being sent to a folder, what a waste of space and time..

Ref:

G2 android - ver 4.4.2
    email - POP3 type accounts
    (running the default email program with the G2)

Thanks for any help with this question.

TahoeRunner
    06/19/14
    12:30pm pacific

Default Re: downloads within email (options yes/no ?)

That is a very good question, I'm curious too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Here is what I posted to this same question in the Sprint forum:

Hmm, mine doesn't act that way. If I click on the attachment, it does download it to the Email folder and then allow me to view it. If I click again, it opens up what it already downloaded.

There is av little "disk" button there to "save" the attachment, and this button causes it to download and save time after time.

So, just try clicking on the attachment name instead of the download button.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Tahoe-Runner likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Here is what I posted to this same question in the Sprint forum:

Hmm, mine doesn't act that way. If I click on the attachment, it does download it to the Email folder and then allow me to view it. If I click again, it opens up what it already downloaded.

There is av little "disk" button there to "save" the attachment, and this button causes it to download and save time after time.

So, just try clicking on the attachment name instead of the download button.

Hello Mikey47,

Thanks, your solution did the trick.

Once I initially download an attachment from an email in my G2 email app, if I go back to the email and want to just view the attachment again without downloading it "again", I just need to click the attachment-name only (and not the "disk-image" download button), and all is good. This way the attachment does not download again, and again, and again.

(it looks like there is no way to "only view" attachments, without initially having to first download any attachment at least once) Unless you know of a way to do that, if so, please let me know?

Very much appreciated Mikey47, thank you.

TahoeRunner
    06/20/2014
    Thanked by:

Yeah, it would make sense for it to download the file to a temp directory, where it would get cleaned up, but I don't think that's possible with the LG email client.

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yeah, it would make sense for it to download the file to a temp directory, where it would get cleaned up, but I don't think that's possible with the LG email client.

Thanks again Mikey47,

Maybe the LG G2 email client will get an upgrade in the future to allow for your suggestion.

Thanks again for your fix to my original question.

TahoeRunner, out.
    6/20/14