Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By darryjr
  • 1 Post By kalo88
  • 1 Post By kalo88
  • 2 Post By Furt
  • 4 Post By Megaroad
  • 1 Post By mumfoau
  • 1 Post By Megaroad
  • 1 Post By rong21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default G2 to M8 back to G2

    Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it came out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.
  2. #2  
    kalo88's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by darryjr View Post
    Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it came out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.
    I too share this sickness but instead of running out to buy the g3 I just rooted my device and put the g3 Rom on there now I get the experience without the cost.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  
    kalo88's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Some screenshots

    Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G2 to M8 back to G2-1003.jpg   G2 to M8 back to G2-1001.jpg   G2 to M8 back to G2-999.jpg  
    Gator352 likes this.
  4. #4  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    I too share this sickness but instead of running out to buy the g3 I just rooted my device and put the g3 Rom on there now I get the experience without the cost.

    Posted via Android Central App
    you have a link to the ROM?
  5. #5  
    kalo88's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    rong21 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    I too share this sickness but instead of running out to buy the g3 I just rooted my device and put the g3 Rom on there now I get the experience without the cost.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Unfortunately I have no idea how to root, so I must go in pocket for the next iteration of this awesome device.
  7. #7  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    I noticed that thread is closed. Any problems with the ROM?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by darryjr View Post
    Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it came out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.
    I had a look at the G3 in the store today, and it was nice, but I'm not convinced it's a good upgrade over the G2. The G2 has better form factor, IMO - the G3 is a lot taller and a little wider. The G3 does have a nice UI, but the G2 runs quite smoothly with good battery life and a good camera, so the G3 doesn't really seem better.
  9. #9  
    Furt's Avatar

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    I had a look at the G3 in the store today, and it was nice, but I'm not convinced it's a good upgrade over the G2. The G2 has better form factor, IMO - the G3 is a lot taller and a little wider. The G3 does have a nice UI, but the G2 runs quite smoothly with good battery life and a good camera, so the G3 doesn't really seem better.
    I very recently picked up a G2, put CM11 on it and ran around with it for a weekend. I honestly can't tell that this phone is a generation old. The screen, battery life, speed, everything feels incredible. I don't see how the G3 is any real successor when this thing still feels new.

    Posted via Android Central App
    grunt0300 and mumfoau like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    I very recently picked up a G2, put CM11 on it and ran around with it for a weekend. I honestly can't tell that this phone is a generation old. The screen, battery life, speed, everything feels incredible. I don't see how the G3 is any real successor when this thing still feels new.

    Posted via Android Central App
    One reason why it still feels totally up to date is that nothing is coming out that has a better form factor. LG really nailed it with the G2.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Now that it seems the spec war has hit its peak we're getting some really good devices of late with tons of longevity for the buck! My opinion only though!
    mary beth hale likes this.
  12. #12  
    Furt's Avatar

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    One reason why it still feels totally up to date is that nothing is coming out that has a better form factor. LG really nailed it with the G2.
    Seems so. With the 5.2" screen. this thing still gets some raised eyebrows and "ooh"'s around the office (a mostly Samsung and iPhone dominant area). I'm already planning to pick it the Gold or Red back to get rid of this super glossy feel. At under $25 for either on Ebay, I don't see a reason not to.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    Seems so. With the 5.2" screen. this thing still gets some raised eyebrows and "ooh"'s around the office (a mostly Samsung and iPhone dominant area). I'm already planning to pick it the Gold or Red back to get rid of this super glossy feel. At under $25 for either on Ebay, I don't see a reason not to.
    The screen really is top-shelf. I recently moved to Hong Kong and you see a lot of variety in phones here. Apple seems to make up a much smaller percentage. In NYC it's a sea of iPhones with a smattering of Samsung. Here it's mostly android phones, and you see a lot of Samsung (especially the Note line), LG, and also Chinese phones like Huawei. What I notice about Chinese phones - I looked at Oppo, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc in the store - is that they are getting quite nice, but they seem to have relatively large bezels. So the Xiaomi phone, for example, is a lot larger than the G2.
    mumfoau likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by darryjr View Post
    Hi all, just looking to share my journey. I had the M7 when it came out, loved it, but my phone sickness made me by the G2. Bought it, loved it, but missed the M7. So than the M8 comes out, had to have it, bought it, used it for a few months and today reconnected my G2. I found that I like the screen on G2 better, and actually compared side by side the G2 opens everything faster, web pages, apps, etc. Everything was quicker. Don't get me wrong, when I picked up the M8 I said to myself, this phone will be a keeper for a while. Its a sickness I guess, lol. The M8 is a great phone, has its pluses , but for me, I came back to lg, I guess I'll see when next HTC comes out and now unfortunately looks like I'm gonna be another $600 in the hole when the G3 is released.
    Just did the same thing. I'm falling back in love with my G2 and not understanding WTH I was thinking buying a M8. However, now that I'm back to using the G2, I find myself really wanting the G3. Not because the G2 sucks, quite the contrary. The G2's so awesome it makes me think that the G3's going to be over the moon! Yup. It is a sickness!
  15. #15  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    654 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    Just did the same thing. I'm falling back in love with my G2 and not understanding WTH I was thinking buying a M8. However, now that I'm back to using the G2, I find myself really wanting the G3. Not because the G2 sucks, quite the contrary. The G2's so awesome it makes me think that the G3's going to be over the moon! Yup. It is a sickness!
    If you're rooted try either Cloudy's or Optimus G3 ROM. Shoulld give you a G2 with a G3 UI
    scottysize likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    I too share this sickness but instead of running out to buy the g3 I just rooted my device and put the g3 Rom on there now I get the experience without the cost.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Will the G2 ever get updated to have the same UI as the G3?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    Seems so. With the 5.2" screen. this thing still gets some raised eyebrows and "ooh"'s around the office (a mostly Samsung and iPhone dominant area). I'm already planning to pick it the Gold or Red back to get rid of this super glossy feel. At under $25 for either on Ebay, I don't see a reason not to.
    I put a ghost armor clear skin on the back of mine. It helped a lot in making it grippier.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    I had a look at the G3 in the store today, and it was nice, but I'm not convinced it's a good upgrade over the G2. The G2 has better form factor, IMO - the G3 is a lot taller and a little wider. The G3 does have a nice UI, but the G2 runs quite smoothly with good battery life and a good camera, so the G3 doesn't really seem better.
    Well, the screen is 2K! 2 freakin' K! But with that aside, it does have an SD slot and a removable battery which in itself makes it a nice upgrade. Since it hasn't been announced yet for Sprint, VZW, or AT&T, it's supposed to have either 2 or 3GB ram and wireless charging, although I hear it won't be the case for the states. That will be a bummer as it would make it an even better worthy upgrade.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Well, the screen is 2K! 2 freakin' K! But with that aside, it does have an SD slot and a removable battery which in itself makes it a nice upgrade. Since it hasn't been announced yet for Sprint, VZW, or AT&T, it's supposed to have either 2 or 3GB ram and wireless charging, although I hear it won't be the case for the states. That will be a bummer as it would make it an even better worthy upgrade.
    Good points. Battery replaceability is a nice feature. It sounds as if processor/gpu power hasn't quite caught up yet to the demands of a 2k screen though.
  20. #20  
    Furt's Avatar

    Posts
    201 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Well, the screen is 2K! 2 freakin' K! But with that aside, it does have an SD slot and a removable battery which in itself makes it a nice upgrade. Since it hasn't been announced yet for Sprint, VZW, or AT&T, it's supposed to have either 2 or 3GB ram and wireless charging, although I hear it won't be the case for the states. That will be a bummer as it would make it an even better worthy upgrade.
    I've had probably 10 phones with removable batteries. Never removed the thing. Don't ever bother with SD cards because android never makes up it's mind on what I can and can't install to it.

    I still like the Nexus and iPhone approach of taking out all the external parts and just giving a no-fuss phone that works.

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Furt View Post
    I've had probably 10 phones with removable batteries. Never removed the thing. Don't ever bother with SD cards because android never makes up it's mind on what I can and can't install to it.

    I still like the Nexus and iPhone approach of taking out all the external parts and just giving a no-fuss phone that works.

    Posted via Android Central App
    That's you. Android (Google) has never stopped you from loading pics, vids, music and other content onto it. Just the blasted apps.

    I personally like the hard copy of my content. The cloud I'm sorry, is fool hardy. Sure, you have it there when needed but what if there's an outage? You're screwed until it comes back online. I can't speak for the Nexus as I've never owned one, but I do own an iPhone 5s. Sure it works....as good as my HTC One M7, LG G2, Note 3, and Moto X but I find it as boring as peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    but I find it as boring as peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.
    Disgusting much? Haha

    Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
  23. #23  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    Good points. Battery replaceability is a nice feature. It sounds as if processor/gpu power hasn't quite caught up yet to the demands of a 2k screen though.
    That might be true but I'm not a gamer so GPU horsepower is last on my list. I've read it lags (stutters) a little here and there but hell, my iPhone 5s lags here and there also. I guess I'll have to play with it before I buy. I'll prolly get it though as I'm a phone junkie....and my wife thinks I need meds for it....
  24. #24  

    Default Re: G2 to M8 back to G2

    Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    Disgusting much? Haha

    Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
    All the time!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM
  2. Coming from WP, My 1st Android Phone...Why I left...and Why I'll Be Back!
    By peacefulberry in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
  3. How to remove gmail account from simple samsaung phone
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
  4. Best Wiki App Similar to iOS's Wikipanion?
    By Caleb10E in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM
  5. ZX1 - Photo Backing up Stuck
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions