Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Megaroad
  • 1 Post By SactoKingsFan
  • 1 Post By davidnc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default LG G2 Update Question

    I was just wondering if the G2 will get updated to have its UI look like the G3 UI. Anyone know?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Probably not through LG. If you root the G2 there's a G3 custom ROM that will put the G3 UI on the G2.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
  3. #3  
    brainvision's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Carrier
    CM7.2.0-RC0 Galaxy5 Port

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    LG says they will not update the G2 with the new UI. But I think they will have to update it to Android L, so it would be stupid to not introduce that UI when it will be the time..

    Don't you agree?


    [ brvsn • C-Rom 7.1 on nxs7.3g • Tapatalk Pro ]
  4. #4  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by brainvision View Post
    LG says they will not update the G2 with the new UI. But I think they will have to update it to Android L, so it would be stupid to not introduce that UI when it will be the time..

    Don't you agree?


    [ brvsn • C-Rom 7.1 on nxs7.3g • Tapatalk Pro ]
    I flashed a ported G3 Rom, just like having G3 without updating or waiting for LG
  5. #5  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    I flashed a ported G3 Rom, just like having G3 without updating or waiting for LG
    Come on, flashing a rom is not "just like" having an official update.
    brainvision likes this.
  6. #6  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    technically you are correct.

    It is LG's OS though. May not be an official LG release but is the G3 OS ported over so it can be flashed on the G2. Still has all of the ATT bloatware.

    SInce LG won't be updating to that UI then you have 2 choices, upgrade to the G3 or flash the ported Rom to your G2
  7. #7  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    technically you are correct.

    It is LG's OS though. May not be an official LG release but is the G3 OS ported over so it can be flashed on the G2. Still has all of the ATT bloatware.
    No, I'm not just "technically" correct. I'm correct from the standpoint of user experience. Roms, especially a port like this one (ie, not just a modded AOSP), are noticeably less stable than official release. I can guarantee anyone with 100% confidence that this rom will give them at least occasional force closes and things like that, because that's just what roms like this do. Popping into every thread and pretending that that's not the case because you're enjoying the rom isn't helpful to anyone.

    Every rom I have EVER flashed has had lots of people say "omg it's flawless, no problems whatsoever!" They are cool, they are fun, they can be worth it, but they are not flawless.
  8. #8  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    No, I'm not just "technically" correct. I'm correct from the standpoint of user experience. Roms, especially a port like this one (ie, not just a modded AOSP), are noticeably less stable than official release. I can guarantee anyone with 100% confidence that this rom will give them at least occasional force closes and things like that, because that's just what roms like this do. Popping into every thread and pretending that that's not the case because you're enjoying the rom isn't helpful to anyone.
    OK, You are correct.

    While I haven't had any issues with it others have had a couple depneding the the variant.

    I have quite a bit of user experience as well and unlike AOSP and AOKP Roms I haven't had issues with this one. I also don't [edited by mod]around with ROMS trying to get an extra millisecond of speed and other reasons people tweak them.

    We good now?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    You are correct.

    While I haven't had any issues with it others have.

    We good now?
    Except for the part where you're lying about not having any issues whatsoever.
  10. #10  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    Except for the part where you're lying about not having any issues whatsoever.
    Haven't had a one. Then again it's only been a week.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    Except for the part where you're lying about not having any issues whatsoever.
    There are custom roms that don't have any issues. I've had one on my G2 for several months.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
  12. #12  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    There are custom roms that don't have any issues. I've had one on my G2 for several months.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    That's just not true. They may be minor enough that they don't matter to you, but custom roms do all have at least minor issues, even if you're running CM on a Nexus.
  13. #13  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    That's just not true. They may be minor enough that they don't matter to you, but custom roms do all have at least minor issues, even if you're running CM on a Nexus.
    I disagree. While others have issues, to include minor issues with this ROM I have had none so far with this one, that includes minor issues. A first for me. That's not to say problems won't pop up in the future.

    I was hesitant at first to flash it after reading the comments on the XDA forum because I really wasn't in the mood to deal with minor issues that weren't deal killers or have issues so bad I had to flash back to stock.

    You can tell me I'm full of crap or lying or whatever floats your boat.
  14. #14  
    Mobius360's Avatar

    Posts
    667 Posts
    Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Another route is to root and use G2 tweaksbox. There's an option to change the quick settings to the G3 style ui. You can change the menu key to a recent key.

    You can download the LG Home G3 theme from Google play as well for free.

    It's not exactly the G3 but it looks very much like it with no force closes.

    If you wait for LG you'll be waiting a very long time.

    Posted via Android Central App w/G2
  15. #15  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    Another route is to root and use G2 tweaksbox. There's an option to change the quick settings to the G3 style ui. You can change the menu key to a recent key.

    You can download the LG Home G3 theme from Google play as well for free.

    will try it if the rom starts acting up

    It's not exactly the G3 but it looks very much like it with no force closes.

    If you wait for LG you'll be waiting a very long time.

    Posted via Android Central App w/G2

    if this rom starts acting up will give it a go
  16. #16  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by rong21 View Post
    I disagree. While others have issues, to include minor issues with this ROM I have had none so far with this one, that includes minor issues. A first for me. That's not to say problems won't pop up in the future.

    I was hesitant at first to flash it after reading the comments on the XDA forum because I really wasn't in the mood to deal with minor issues that weren't deal killers or have issues so bad I had to flash back to stock.

    You can tell me I'm full of crap or lying or whatever floats your boat.
    It's not an issue of "disagreeing." What you're saying is just factually false. I guess I shouldn't say you're lying because you may just not be very observant. Factually, though, you have not been running a G3 rom without the slightest issue. You haven't. So stop.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    It's not an issue of "disagreeing." What you're saying is just factually false. I guess I shouldn't say you're lying because you may just not be very observant. Factually, though, you have not been running a G3 rom without the slightest issue. You haven't. So stop.
    This is just an ignorant statement. You can't claim that all custom ROMs have issues if you haven't used them.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    rong21 likes this.
  18. #18  
    rong21's Avatar

    Posts
    627 Posts
    Global Posts
    648 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    This is just an ignorant statement. You can't claim that all custom ROMs have issues if you haven't used them.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    Don't bother, this guy is right no matter what you type here. Just ask him.

    After a few years on these forums and on XDA it's apparent some are just arrogant know it all jerks.

    ROMs, stock or custom don't always work for everyone because we all use our phones differently and have them configured differently. His same argument can be used for the stock out of the box as well.Reading the forums tells me that.

    While I've had custom ROMS that caused issues the G3 custome ROM is the best as I have no issues with it.......period. Don't care what he says. I also don't feel the need to have to tweak everything, don't use FM radio and some of the other options that others are having issues with. I've never had issues with any stock ROM but have seen many that do.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    I suggest some people involved in the discussion of this thread they may need to review the guidelines and remain civil as shown in the guidelines.
    And remember:
    Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’
    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Aquila likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    This is just an ignorant statement. You can't claim that all custom ROMs have issues if you haven't used them.

    Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    On the contrary, it's a statement based on both experience and common sense. There's even a phone now that ships with CM, and even that has issues. I realize it's typical for people to post on XDA that "Wow, this ROM runs perfectly!!!!" but it's just not the case. It's perfectly understandable to be excited about this stuff - I enjoy it myself - but it's just not helpful to anyone to act as if running a ROM is going to be issue-free. Above we have someone saying:

    I flashed a ported G3 Rom, just like having G3 without updating or waiting for LG.
    That's just very misleading.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad View Post
    On the contrary, it's a statement based on both experience and common sense. There's even a phone now that ships with CM, and even that has issues. I realize it's typical for people to post on XDA that "Wow, this ROM runs perfectly!!!!" but it's just not the case. It's perfectly understandable to be excited about this stuff - I enjoy it myself - but it's just not helpful to anyone to act as if running a ROM is going to be issue-free. Above we have someone saying:



    That's just very misleading.
    I don't think it's a particular rom that has issues or is trouble free. It's people who have to tweak them that causes issues. I mean if you want to get technical I had issues with every phone that I've had running just stock. Be it freezes,force closing etc. I think the more people try to "improve" their phone the more issues you will have. Some people need the phone to be as fast as the speed of light where I am happy being faster then the speed of sound
  22. #22  

    Default Re: LG G2 Update Question

    Although, I do not have extensive experience, I have been updating customs ROMs from Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Icecream Sandwich, and Jellybean (various versions) on my tablets and android phones. With my experience, custom ROMs are getting much much better and more stable but they almost always have some issues. Therefore, I quit installing custom ROMs, too much headache and time consuming. But again I think it is a very good way to familiarize oneself about ROMs. I want to have 4k video and 120 fp video in my LG G2, but I am hesitant to do because of my previous experiences with either high battery draining with customs ROMs or other instability issues. I hope LG will release at least some updated video features for LG G2, which I think is the best phone on the market to this date
  23. #23  
    anthony2558's Avatar

    Posts
    1,531 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,543 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Official releases have issues as well. I'm running 4.4.3 and have force closes all the time. What's the point to this argument?

    It would be nice if LG updated to the new UI. HTC can do it!

Similar Threads

  1. Which color black or white lg g2
    By kjgsxr in forum AT&T LG G2
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 05:42 AM
  2. Fake App Update notification in SAMSUNG Galaxy S4?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 12:16 AM
  3. Is the nexus 10 get Android L update?
    By Umass021 in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 08:30 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions