Is the G2 still a good buy?

foulfrog

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I need a new phone now and I'm looking at these two. Already ruled out the z2, S5 and M8.

I don't have the burning need to get the latest and greatest but the G3 looks like a great phone. What I'm wondering is do I really need that phone when I can get the G2 for almost half the money (300EUR vs around 550EUR)? Will the G2 last me 2-3 years? Not a heavy gamer - I use my phone mostly for surfing, email etc.

I feel that the G3 would have been perfect with a 5.5" 1080p screen.
Please chime in :)

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I personally think it's still a good buy! Currently the internals are more than what the average users would need so I think you'd be good there! 5.2" screen in this smaller footprint has served me well for browsing and video!

Posted via Android Central App

kitckatmaster

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I need a new phone now and I'm looking at these two. Already ruled out the z2, S5 and M8.

I don't have the burning need to get the latest and greatest but the G3 looks like a great phone. What I'm wondering is do I really need that phone when I can get the G2 for almost half the money (300EUR vs around 550EUR)? Will the G2 last me 2-3 years? Not a heavy gamer - I use my phone mostly for surfing, email etc.

kitckatmaster

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the G2 a few days ago, and I love it! I even found a theme that looks just like the G3 for this phone. I believe it's a great buy!

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

It will last you as long as you want it to. You can use the same phone for 5years as it all depends on you.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
PhoneArena just had an article on the topic of best value-for-money smartphones, and said, in regards to the G2 (which was one of their picks) what us owners already know: "...offering you an insane value for your every dollar." I've never been more pleased with a phone.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Bought my daughter hers in January and it's an awesome phone. The awesomeness of the G2 has me buying the G3 :)

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the G2 is a great buy. It is still just as good as the other newer phones out and you can get it used for a pretty good price if that's the route you choose.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

vjh425

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the G2 about a week ago and I think it's a great buy. I prefer it to the G3 because it is slightly smaller.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

The G3 looks pretty awesome. I bought a G2 two months ago with the intention of it lasting 2 years, and so far I've been very satisfied. Nice sharp screen, solid battery life and camera, runs smoothly. My only complaints are that I occasionally hear a creak from the back plate, and the back is quite smooth and potentially slippery. So if it's important to you to have the phone feel really solid you might wanna look at the G3, but in terms of functionality I'm quite happy with the G2, and it's a few hundred dollars cheaper.

MickEyBlue42

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Had mine less than a week

Awesome phone!

It really comes down to are you a power user who needs the very latest. There is not a huge difference so can you justify the extra 200 bucks? I couldnt. G2 is a lovely phone with all the bells and whistles

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I still prefer my Flex over the G2, but the G2 fully updated is a solid phone. Although any phone you want to take as far as THREE years should have a user replaceable battery which the Flex does not possess, pay close attention to that.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about selling my note 3 and getting the g2. I don't like touchwiz and the camera is iffy indoors. Is the low light really good on the g2?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've only had mine a week but I absolutely love it. And I'm locked into a two year contract. I don't think I'll have any issues meeting that two years. And on the plus side my insurance should I manage to break my phone a year from now and they've quit making it will give me whatever the newest version of it. So that's cool.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about selling my note 3 and getting the g2. I don't like touchwiz and the camera is iffy indoors. Is the low light really good on the g2?

I wouldn't say lowlight is a strength of the camera. The daylight photos seem quite good, but night photos seem iffy to me. Possibly I'm just not using the right modes, but it doesn't seem to pick up the various colors of city lights at night in a sensitive way, and sometimes it takes a long time to focus or comes out grainy. I have taken some night photos that came out very nice, but it's inconsistent. A lot better than what I had before, but I had the Droid Razr HD, which had a notoriously bad camera. The daylight photos seem very good to me though.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
G2 camera and Flex camera are very similar, except the G2 has a mechanical stabilizer which makes it take crisper long exposures. G3 supposedly has a new stabilizer which LG claims is improved.

I find that my Flex takes entirely decent night images if I use ISO override. In high contrast scenes I use HDR and tap either one of the brightest or darkest spots to focus, the compensator tries to moderate the extreme values into the selected brighness range. Flex does not take very good "super long exposure or light amplification" type shots at all, and to reflect this the manual ISO does not exceed 800.

With luck the G2 has manual focus just like the Flex, most phones do not. There is no RAW mode and overall it's not a power-user camera but it does work very well regardless.

EDIT: This should be entirely obvious, but with any digital camera in suboptimal conditions....use an EXPOSURE DELAY and/or VOICE SHUTTER to reduce chances of any blur caused by your grip shifting when you tap the shutter button.

The only thing I miss from my Sony compact is two super duper HDR-like modes that require a tripod...Backlight massively normalizes nasty contrast issues especially in daylight, and Night Portrait on that camera takes the same picture several times with and without flash before normalizing to the brightest exposure. THEN it brings the color of the flash lit portion to better match the ambient light color of the amplified exposure. Totally impossible on any phone camera I ever tried.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, got 6 hrs of screen on time(brightness set at 50%) with still 30% battery life, for the money you won't get any phone better than the G2.